Fishing Tips for First Trip to Kipawa

Started by MuskieMike311, August 06, 2018, 01:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskieMike311

Making a trip up to my wife's family place on Kipawa, near the Ile Bronson, in mid-Sept. Been making trips to the Upper French for over 20 years, but this will be my first trip to Kipawa and I'm looking for any tips you'd be willing to share. I'd like to find bass and pike, but wouldn't be opposed to targeting walleye either. I'll be roughing it with no trolling motor or depth finder, but I'll have a GPS with a navionics chips to utilize.

Greg

No depth finder???  Seriously?  I think I would reconsider finding a very cheap solution... it will help you immensely. 

Lots of help here on the board... but I think many will offer the same advice (get a cheap external transducer/depth finder).

Greg

MuskieMike311

tough to justify buying one for this trip since i'm unlikely to ever use it again. just looking for a bay or two to be pointed towards that i can fan cast for some pike and bass if anyone is willing to share.

Greg

Ok, I was thinking of more of a safety thing is all... there are some weird places where the lake goes from serious depth to next to nothing quickly... be careful is all.

As for your fishing trip... I am familiar with the area around Ill Bronson, as it is in the main bay near the town of Kipawa so I can't offer any assistance for close to your camping location... but if you felt like venturing... there is a bay up past Corbeau island - to the right - called Dead Bear bay... we always seem to get pike there each year (along with Walleye and we got one bass in there this year).

Specifically for bass however, they are still predominately up in the north part of the lake - find Taggarts Bay lodge on a map - that branch always seems to have reports of some good small mouth bass fishing.  Depending on your boat and speed you can travel, that can take 20 to 40 minutes to get to though.

Hope that helps a little...  good luck with your trip.

Greg

MuskieMike311

appreciate the heads up. after a few decades on the French, i'm far too familiar with the landmines on these waters. i do have the Navionics chip so i'll have some help in that regards, but just not the ability to chart the bottom or locate fish.

the Dead Bear Bay seems like a day trip i could make, but i don't think i'd make the run up to Taggart's if that's the location close to Laniel. pretty sure they've got a 20 horse on the fishing boat so that would be a pretty epic haul. but i'll mark that bay on the map and check it out. thanks Greg!

T-Bone

Bronson to Taggart Bay would be unreasonable...you'd use 2-3 tanks of gas easy. The bass haven't really even made it to the central part of the lake yet, so I doubt they're down where you are near Bronson. Pike are in pike looking spots...find those and find the pike. I can't help much with fishing spots down there as I've never fished that area. I know that many 'locals' in Kipawa travel up the lake to near where we stay at Alwaki Lodge to catch walleye...at least a 12-14 mile trip from Bronson. Try searching 'Jawbone Bay' for some insights as that's down near Bronson and I believe I've read about some fishing success down that way.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Ozzy30

MuskieMike I would go to the navionics website and look at kipawa on there website it will give you depths and bays in around your location.  The maps can be printed so atleast when you locate the spots that interest you, you can have a depth chart that can give an idea of trouble spots.

WillageD

Hey Mike. Try Pickeral Bay for Pike (lol I know)... Bronson Island is the island on the left side mid height of that screen shot- Pickeral bay is where I have the cursor. Beware when you are going into the bay- the entry is narrow and guarded by many big boulders and stumps. Take your time, and a first mate up front watching for hazards is ideal. Good luck!

MuskieMike311

thanks everyone for your suggestions. and Willage, I'll be sure to keep my wife up in the bow looking for rocks. she'll need something to do!

MuskieMike311

well unfortunately the outboard on the fishing boat was broke, so most of my fishing was done from shore. the good news is i had some solid luck with smallmouth, as they apparently set up shop on a drop about a half cast away from the dock at the cottage. landed a few and lost a few. best one was pushing two pounds. also caught a small walleye off the dock as well. thanks for all your advice and hopefully next time i'll be able to get out and explore a bit!