Black Flies

Started by Flystik, March 04, 2024, 05:01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flystik

Can someone on the board comment on the severity of black flies around Lake Kipawa in late June thru early July?  I am aware this will vary from year to year, just looking for general comments as I am changing the dates I am coming to Kipawa this summer.

Thanks
Flystik

Fort Wisers

Hey @Flystik
You are correct that it changes from year to year. As a general rule though, late May to mid June is black flies season. Beyond that, from ~ mid / late June and into the summer (basically as the weather heats up and things dry out) then the mosquitoes, deer and horse flies move in and the black flies die out.

If the spring is hot and dry sometimes the black fly season is very short and things move quicker into mosquito / deer fly season. If spring is damp and cooler then the black fly season will last longer.

Some years are tolerable, some years are less so, it also depends on what you're used to.
Locals tend to just grin and bear it regardless, chalking it up to part of living in the bush. Those who are not used to the flies can be driven near mad.
In terms of time of day, the flies in general wake up to feast somewhat before dusk and are typically gone back to bed by 10:00pm. In thicker bush where there is little wind they can have a much longer "veracious time slot".

Hope that helps:
Brent

RickOnt

Brent has it right and good info

The blackflies are usually gone by July on a normal year

However this winter for example has been anything but normal  LOL
"Making Memories"

Flystik

Fort Wisers and Rick Ont

Thank you for the comeback regarding  black flies in late June and early July.  I have booked a week for this time period as August is not available to me this year.  As stated, what is normal with respect to weather anymore.

Thanks again,

Flystik

NortonJoe

One of the reasons we go in late July is to make sure the black flies are gone.  Mosquitos don't tend to bite me but the black flies eat me up.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

ziggy6

So this year our crew is going to Kipawa a week earlier then usual, June 15 -20 due to my wifes need to celebrate our 30th anniversary which falls on our usual fishing week ..little did I know these type of events were important. So my question is what is the best bug dope to use to combat black flies? I'm sure if several guys get chewed up they will be looking at me with anger in their eyes.. any advice would be appreciated, Thanks Ziggy

Jig and drift

We have had good luck with 3M Ultrathon.   

smitty55

Quote from: Jig and drift on April 18, 2024, 09:19:11 PMWe have had good luck with 3M Ultrathon.   
That product is only 35% deet

For real protection like we used to get here in Canada with Muskol being 98% deet you now have to go the States to get products like Repel 100 or Max Deet that are over 98%. Yea it's powerful stuff but you don't need as much and it lasts much longer.

Chazz

Some people claim thermacell works great against black flies.  I used a couple of them when building a shed behind my cottage and they worked really good repelling mosquitos.  They are most effective when wind is calm.

RickOnt

Ever since we cannot get the Muskol with 98%deet here in Canada

I use a product from Great Outdoors made by Watkins with great success

Deet in this product is 30% but it does work
"Making Memories"

Rockpile

I've found that 35% deet works well and not nearly as offensive as 100%. Do need to reapply and also lube up after shower. With warm weather maybe bugs are out early this year and you can get some test cases.

RHYBAK

Bugs?
What Bugs?
There's bugs in June?
Never bothered me.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Fort Wisers

Quote from: RHYBAK on April 23, 2024, 10:37:07 AMBugs?
What Bugs?
There's bugs in June?
Never bothered me.

Haha love it!

RoK

A few years ago someone on this site recommended Watkins, now branded The Great Outdoors. Works great.

I lather on the lotion, and at my cottage in May there can be clouds of black flies and I don't get bit.

I find the lotion is better than the spray.

Cheers Ron
Cheers, Ron

RoK

I am at my cottage (not Kipawa, west of Ottawa) and yesterday morning I was working on the dock and the black fly hatch started.

I was getting bit so put on Great Outdoors lotion, added spray to hair and spots I may have missed and worked all day  without getting bit.

Early hatch, maybe by the time I get to Kipawa end of May most black flies will be gone.

This is what I worked around....
Cheers, Ron