Caring for worms at camp

Started by Hodgey1, July 04, 2018, 03:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

puckster_guy

Canadian... with a little Wisers for spice. They'll dance on the hook. ;) :)
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Hodgey1

So here's my plan:

Because I'm a guy who loves to save money when I can, I'm going to purchase a plastic tub with a tight fitting lid. I'm going to drill some small holes in the top "smaller than them little buggers" so they can get air. I will line the bottom with news paper soaked in La Fin Du Monde "my favorite Cad beer" then add worms and dirt provided to me by Corina. I will then keep this worm-tastic container in our beer cooler to keep them cool and from being overly active. Once on the water, I will dawn half of one of them worms on my hook and catch me a very large walleye!  ;D
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Sounds good

As for Jays suggestion.
That was exactly the foam container I was thinking of.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 05, 2018, 02:23:28 PM
So here's my plan:

Because I'm a guy who loves to save money when I can, I'm going to purchase a plastic tub with a tight fitting lid. I'm going to drill some small holes in the top "smaller than them little buggers" so they can get air. I will line the bottom with news paper soaked in La Fin Du Monde "my favorite Cad beer" then add worms and dirt provided to me by Corina. I will then keep this worm-tastic container in our beer cooler to keep them cool and from being overly active. Once on the water, I will dawn half of one of them worms on my hook and catch me a very large walleye!  ;D

OK for your plastic tube but why not use worm bedding - its cheap and just soooo much cleaner.

Jay

Schneve

Quote from: Jighead on July 04, 2018, 08:14:07 PM
On a different bait topic, does anyone have issues finding leeches 3rd week of July? I am told they may not be available then? Any tips, places, etc. would be helpful.

Hi Jighead, I called Kipawa Bait and Tackle today and reserved a half pound for next weekend.  They didn’t say anything about a shortage.  Cheers

Rockpile

Get a worm box, the kind with pressed board siding. Use worm bedding with bottled [non-chlorinated water]. Keep them in fridge when it's warm. Use smaller container in boat and take enough for each session. Plastic container not good; no air and can't absorb excess water.

Jighead

fishtildark

Jack has always been in charge of the crawlers. he found a Styrofoam box that barely fits in an old cooler and allows for several frozen water bottles to keep cool. We freeze quart size plastic milk jugs with water for ice substitute and drinking as the week progresses . they fit well with the beer in the boat cooler too... one of these in the worm box helps keep them cool all week. NOW, this year I decided that we needed to switch jugs and , blame the Canadian, I put the frozen quart of milk in instead of the water. by the time I started to look for the milk..... a little late..
So many lures and so little time.

Ozzy30

I use the frabil worm kits also and works perfect.  The only issue with Rhybaks suggestion about Beer is you do use Bleue and you are alwaki the same time as T-bone you might find him hanging to close to your worms.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Ozzy30 on July 10, 2018, 12:12:06 PM
I use the frabil worm kits also and works perfect.  The only issue with Rhybaks suggestion about Beer is you do use Bleue and you are alwaki the same time as T-bone you might find him hanging to close to your worms.

Having spent a week around Tbone last year at Alwaki, I took note of his Blue consumption and witnessed that he never runs low? Could it be the worm boxes, or is he prowling unattended coolers in the dark of night?
Walleye Rock!

Ozzy30

I'm not quite sure but I am sure glad I don't drink blue, this way I don't need to lock the cooler or my worm box this year.

T-Bone

Now, now...don't you worry about 'ol T-Bone and his Bleue. Anybody that knows anything knows I prefer leeches...much cleaner...and you don't have to worry about getting worm bedding on your cold Bleue.  :P  Truth be told, I'm the "lightweight" in our group, and there are no slouches. It always amazes me how much beer we go through...

And I'm typically in bed sawing logs way before any of you party boys...so if anything I should be concerned about YOU!!!

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Ok,..... I did want to save some money and not buy something for the worms to sleep in while at camp, but they deserve to be taken care of too. So I laid down $13 US dollars on a Styrofoam container with some dirt in it. I know, seems a waste but, I am just 10 days from departure and not wanting any worm issue with beer this season. I also laid down some more jack and bought a leech tamer bag, to tame them pesky leeches "thanks Jay" !

Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Good Move.
Nothing worse that warm, decaying, smelly , drunk worms
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hodgey1

I purchased two of these babies for the boat also, one for leeches and one for worms.

Walleye Rock!