Walleye Trolling

Started by Hodgey1, July 17, 2018, 12:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

I'm less than 10 days away from my first trip of the year to Alwaki. Here's my tentative strategy for the week.

• Drink Beer with a great group of people everyday
  • Cook and eat some amazing meals including some pan fried walleye
  • Fish some day break mornings
  • sleep in some mornings and troll for Lakers during the day
  • Drink more beer
  • Get my Jig on every evening bite
  • Contemplate my place in the cosmos with a buzz on, while in one of the most beautiful places on the planet 8)
  • Catch more fish than Tbone  ;D

While I was considering my plan it came to me, that walleye can be caught trolling...…. and brought me to my question: What are people dragging while trolling for walleye in Kipawa? I had a vision, picture it. Close your eye's. Sun low in the sky, drivin the boat around with the boys, have a cold one or two and catching some walleye!
Walleye Rock!

Mattie

As you know being on U Todds boat we mainly Jig. I do remember us getting on a good troll line years back getting a walleye pretty much every pass on a larger Blue and silver Hot n tot. Got a nice Pike trolling for walleye on same line. (Jointed deep diver perch color).. I got a few walleye on that lure as well.

We will see you guys up there soon!

Mattie

RHYBAK

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 17, 2018, 12:09:17 PM
I'm less than 10 days away from my first trip of the year to Alwaki. Here's my tentative strategy for the week.

• Drink Beer with a great group of people everyday
  • Cook and eat some amazing meals including some pan fried walleye
  • Fish some day break mornings
  • sleep in some mornings and troll for Lakers during the day
  • Drink more beer
  • Get my Jig on every evening bite
  • Contemplate my place in the cosmos with a buzz on, while in one of the most beautiful places on the planet 8)

Hodgey1
Try this strategy for item #8
You will need an extra 48 Blue
Feed him constantly during the afternoon hours.
So much ,that it creates a bit of numbness over his entire body.
Then he will sleep instead of fish.
That might give you a slight advantage.

While I was considering my plan it came to me, that walleye can be caught trolling...…. and brought me to my question: What are people dragging while trolling for walleye in Kipawa? I had a vision, picture it. Close your eye's. Sun low in the sky, drivin the boat around with the boys, have a cold one or two and catching some walleye!
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

crackers42

Hodgey,

Worm harness (red, black/white, gold) about 24 inches long with a 3/8 rubber core sinker would work well around 15 - 20 foot of water.

Jay Thomas

Hi Hodgey1,

I depart next Monday afternoon for a 5 day fishing trip into Papineau Labelle Park (90 minutes north of Ottawa) with my daughter and two grandsons (11 and 9). We'll be fishing for walleye, lake trout and speckled trout. Consequently, I read your plan with interest.

As for dragging something behind the boat for walleye, there are various options of course (i.e. crankbaits, bottom bouncers, rigs, etc) and there are many proponents of each method. Myself, I'm a died in the wool bottom bouncer to try to find walleye. I prefer to back troll with a 2 ounce bottom bouncer (fishing the bottom in 15 to 30 FOW) and a Northland Baitfish Spinner Harness (#4 Colorado blade) - see https://shop.northlandtackle.com/rigs/baitfish-spinner-harness/. My fishing partner and I will start out with him adding a crawler to the spinner harness while I will add a leech to the spinner harness. If the walleye demonstrate a bait preference, we'll both switch to that bait. Only if and when we find a pod of walleye numbering more than 10 walleye will we switch to jigging (again with a crawler, a leech or a soft plastic (e.g. AuthentX Pulse-R). And don't forget that walleye can be active in the middle of the day with bluebird skies (last year I caught a 30 inch walleye about 2:30 PM bottom bouncing a spinner harness and a crawler in 30 FOW).

Enjoy your trip!

Jay 

Captain Hali

Hodgey 1, 4 weeks ago, my daughter, son and I decided to troll when the Eyes developed lock-jaw around 8:30 p.m. We trolled in front of Sandbanks at 1.6 mph using various colours of Rapalas preceded by enough split shots to keep our offerings within 1 foot off bottom.Each pass we would change our lures. On the 4th pass I hooked into a keeper on a Hot-n-Tot, blue back with a chrome bottom. We all switched over to H-&-T, in blue & chrome and every pass thereafter one of us hooked up with several doubles. Not saying that this is the magic to boating fish trolling, but it sure worked for us that night. My main point is, that if you don't get action on whatever your dragging, CHANGE UP until you find what they want. Also, don't be afraid to vary your speed, some days they want it slow, other days, fast. Above all, enjoy your week on Kipawa, and good hunting.   

Chazz

I'm stealing that plan and using it on Ogascanan in a little less than 4 weeks.

Ozzy30

The biggest walleye I ever caught at Alwaki was on a silver and blue husky jerk with orange belly.  I like my silver and blue.

T-Bone

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 17, 2018, 12:09:17 PM

Yeah...I'll likely troll a little more this year myself. Crawler harness doesn't seem viable with the structure I like to fish, but a HnT for sure. And I don't keep count...not a real count anyway. Let's call it a tie Hodge and I'll buy you a beer.  ;D

But I know in my heart of hearts that you want to troll for another reason...you're a bait ****y.  :o

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Quote from: Mattie on July 17, 2018, 12:33:16 PMBlue and silver Hot n tot. Got a nice Pike trolling for walleye on same line. (Jointed deep diver perch color).. I got a few walleye on that lure as well.

We will see you guys up there soon!

Mattie

Thanks for the tips Mattie, we’ll crack a beer together next week!
    Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quote from: RHYBAK on July 17, 2018, 12:42:35 PM
    Hodgey1
    I will give that serious consideration Ry  ;D
    Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quote from: crackers42 on July 17, 2018, 12:58:05 PM
    Worm harness (red, black/white, gold) about 24 inches long with a 3/8 rubber core sinker would work well around 15 - 20 foot of water.

Thanks Crackers, I will pick up some worm harness’s
    Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 17, 2018, 08:35:53 PM
    Quote from: RHYBAK on July 17, 2018, 12:42:35 PM
    Hodgey1
    I will give that serious consideration Ry  ;D

Are you kidding? I've been on enough of these trips to know where my capabilities are optimized to my Bleue count...and it's always at peak performance. It's the The Canada Trip, for God's sake, Mr. Rhybak. So, when do you get there with your sweet Lund to have a walleye shootout...T-Bone vs. Mattie vs. Hodgey vs. Mr. Rhybak.? I know who would win that. (Mattie...hands down...).  ;D
    Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Quote from: Jay Thomas on July 17, 2018, 01:01:11 PM
    Enjoy your trip!

Jay

Thanks for the detailed info Jay. Enjoy your trip!
    Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quote from: Captain Hali on July 17, 2018, 01:44:28 PM. On the 4th pass I hooked into a keeper on a Hot-n-Tot, blue back with a chrome bottom. We all switched over to H-&-T, in blue & chrome and every pass thereafter one of us hooked up with several doubles. Not saying that this is the magic to boating fish trolling, but it sure worked for us that night. My main point is, that if you don't get action on whatever your dragging, CHANGE UP until you find what they want. Also, don't be afraid to vary your speed, some days they want it slow, other days, fast. Above all, enjoy your week on Kipawa, and good hunting.   
    I have a pretty good selection of H&T’s so I will bring them along. Thanks for the tips !
    Walleye Rock!