Equiptment for Kipawa walleye

Started by Hodgey1, December 21, 2016, 05:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonJoe

Quote from: T-Bone on February 13, 2017, 09:02:36 PM
4"-5" PVC plumbing tube with end caps holds about 6 rods. Glue in cheap car wash sponges cut into end caps to protect tips. Cheap and effective. Have had mine for about 20 years. Put reels in center of clothing duffel to protect them.
Dang @T-Bone that's a great idea! You just saved me a ton of money! Of course I'll just spend it on something else...
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Greg

T-Bone - what a great idea, I'm with Norton Joe on this, I am going to make a couple.   A quick search of YouTube for "fishing rod PVC case" or "fishing rod travel case" as a bunch of home grown DIY videos of various styles/designs.  One guy uses white PVC, sands it down, then takes brown shoe polish and it looks like a beautiful wood tube (like a baseball bat)!!  An entire online customer order PVC fishing rod industry is waiting!

So ... questions... many of the videos still have each rod in a rod glove or wrapped in a soft material - not sure if that is necessary or not, especially if you glue the sponges in the ends of the tubes... couldn't hurt I guess.

I'm going to get on this as soon as it warms up and I can work in the garage in the spring!

Jay Thomas

Even though you have your rods in a rod caddy (home made or purchased), the rods are still able to bounce against each other or against the sides of the rod caddy. This can result in premature wear to sensitive rods as well as being hard on eyelets.

To protect my rods,  each one goes into a fishing rod sleeve cover. For an example - see https://www.amazon.ca/OUTERDO-Fishing-Braiding-Protective-Protector/dp/B01BBE69BW/ref=sr_1_4/160-3612323-2109166?ie=UTF8&qid=1487288780&sr=8-4&keywords=fishing+sleeves

After all my rods are in my rod caddy, I place a wad of plastic bubble wrap between the rod ends and the side of my rod caddy to inhibit any movement of the rods.

Jay

SgtCrabby

I have used homemade rod sleeves, but after a border agent shredded them with my rod eyelets;  I gave up on the sleeves.
Now I just stuff padding around the rods inside the case.

Out of 4 rods I left home with, I had 1 usable one when I got to the lake.
, and it was damaged.

Canuckbass

What are you guys doing to rods to abuse them? Lol
I always travel with 4-5 rods every weekend and no issues... The Rod Glove on them and I can grab anyone of them and not tangled.
P.s. Don't let your drunk buddies touch your rod.

Oarin

You all forgot the most important piece of equipment of all! A pvc beer can holder!!

Jay Thomas

Quote from: SgtCrabby on February 16, 2017, 09:58:47 PM
I have used homemade rod sleeves, but after a border agent shredded them with my rod eyelets;  I gave up on the sleeves.
Now I just stuff padding around the rods inside the case. Out of 4 rods I left home with, I had 1 usable one when I got to the lake.
, and it was damaged.

You got my curiosity up with that response SgtCrabby. Did the border guard provide you any rationale for his actions? Without any justification, I'd be going after the Canadian Government for restitution.

Jay

Hodgey1

Quote from: Hodgey1 on February 14, 2017, 07:18:44 AM
Quote from: T-Bone on February 13, 2017, 09:02:36 PM
4"-5" PVC plumbing tube with end caps holds about 6 rods. Glue in cheap car wash sponges cut into end caps to protect tips. Cheap and effective. Have had mine for about 20 years. Put reels in center of clothing duffel to protect them.
That a great tip, I'm going to work on that this coming weekend. Thanks TB

Do you wrap each pole with something?
My comments on the rod glove have to do with what to wrap poles in that are being slid inside a pvc tube for transport. It appears that rod glove would work good for that purpose?
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quote from: Oarin on February 17, 2017, 10:35:37 AM
You all forgot the most important piece of equipment of all! A pvc beer can holder!!

;D
Walleye Rock!

SgtCrabby

Jay: he said he was looking for drugs because that's how we smuggle them into Canada from Mexico.
Of coarse, none were found.

At the time, I kept my mouth shut; I know my temper would have gotten out of control and wrote it off as one bad experience, not the border agents as a group.  Other than that time they have been decent and polite.

Hodgey1

Quote from: Hodgey1 on February 13, 2017, 12:57:05 PM
I now have two of my fishing reels purchased, poles next. One Pflueger President 6930 and one Quantum Energy PT25

Just purchased the first of my poles for our Kipawa trip, a 6'6" St Croix Triumph, medium light/fast. $79 at a going out of business sale  :D I think I'll pair it with the Pflueger, it felt good when I mounted her on the St Croix, well balanced.
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Quote from: Hodgey1 on May 26, 2017, 06:06:21 PM
Quote from: Hodgey1 on February 13, 2017, 12:57:05 PM
I now have two of my fishing reels purchased, poles next. One Pflueger President 6930 and one Quantum Energy PT25

Just purchased the first of my poles for our Kipawa trip, a 6'6" St Croix Triumph, medium light/fast. $79 at a going out of business sale  :D I think I'll pair it with the Pflueger, it felt good when I mounted her on the St Croix, well balanced.

I have the exact set up
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hodgey1

Thanks to you and everyone here For Helping me get setup properly. Looking forward to using it soon at Kipawa for the first time.
Walleye Rock!

SgtCrabby

Great minds think alike.
I also have a Pfleuger reel on a St. Croix ML/fast triumph rod.
Also a pflueger on a Croix Light/fast triumph.

Good choice in my humble opinion.

JigginFool

I don't know how long the sale is on, but Cabelas has the Pflueger President reals on sale for $20 off now.  I picked up a 6920X for $29.99 and a 6925X for $39.99.