Cannon Mini Troll Downrigger

Started by CANNOB, March 09, 2015, 12:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CANNOB

Wondering if anyone would like to give feedback. I always stay at an outfitter and use there boats. Was thinking of taking this piece of equipment with me this year to try for some Lakers ? I have heard there not built the best, but for only one week a year who knows. it's a portable downrigger uses a 4 once weight.

http://store.cannondownriggers.com/products/325066/Mini-Troll

Jay Thomas

While I haven't used it in a few years (I've been concentrating on walleyes), I did use a Scotty 1050MP - Masterpack 23" for more than 5 years. Here's the web reference:
http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/compact-manual-downriggers/1050mp-masterpack.htm

It always worked fine and I was quite happy with my purchase. I used an 8 pound ball. I would have some concerns that a 4 pound ball (in the Canon you referenced) would not be enough weight and the ball would not remain as close to vertical as you would like.

I used a 6 foot 6 inch Ugly Stik (medium action) rod and a Daiwa 27 line counter reel spooled with 14 lb mono. Attached to the mono (with a Double Uni knot) was about 25 feet of 12 lb fluorocarbon as leader. I attached a Sutton 71 to the end of the fluorocarbon leader with a small snap swivel. I always attached a gang troll (e.g. a 60 inch Big Hammer) as an attractor directly to the downrigger ball. I lowered the downrigger ball (and attached attractor) about 5 feet into the water. I would then let out sufficient line to get past the mono/fluorocarbon splice and clip the line into my release clip. Then I would attach the release clip to the downrigger cable, about 6 feet above the ball, with a stacker connection. We had success fishing lakers with this method fishing 35-45 feet deep in water at least 60 feet deep. 

Jay

jackalofnar

We tried one a few years ago and quickly decided to go back to trolling spoons wire line.  We found the down rigger very awkward and there was a high pitched resonating sound on the line whe n trolling that was annoying.  When trolling an area with a group of wireline fisherman, having a boat with a downrigger running erratic routes also gets in the way of the other boats.  It is one or the other.  Have you ever tried jigging for lakers?  That can work too.

Also, we think it may have killed a fish when it detached from the boat expectantly and dropped to the bottom of Lake Sassigenaga... ::) Now every year when we go over that location, I make sure I point out that there is a cannon ball down there somewhere.

Kirk

fishtildark

hey Kirk, I have jigged up two fishing rods over the years at sasseginega. Maybe I can get the cannonball... where were you fishing  ;)
Sam
So many lures and so little time.