Cedar Valley Lodge June 21-28

Started by Walleye Wacker, July 06, 2014, 01:11:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walleye Wacker

Had another great year at Cedar Valley Lodge.  The bugs were normal.  Its crazy how they disappear at about midnight.  From my early summer fishing experience on kipawa, if the bugs aren't biting, neither are the fish.   Lost track of the fish count after the first day.  I don't think we've ever not brought back our limit in the 20 years I've been going.  Maybe one year.  The wind was variable most of the week and we only ever got a good walleye chop from the west a couple times all week.  The fish were scattered everywhere as a result of multiple bug hatches.  Stayed out all night one night and spotted walleyes anywhere from 2" to 30" feeding on bugs in every part of the lake I looked.  Pretty neat experience.  Catching trout was pretty easy with the weather we had and I only got one under 20".  Most were 25-30.  Found the pike in 12-24' feet feeding on perch, nothing huge(20-30 mostly) but if you know how to fillet them, they eat just as good as the walleye, well close to anyway.   Took an older couple out one day for trout and they connected with there first one and a nice one at that.  They were only up for a couple days but thanks to Neno taking them out and getting them a bunch of walleyes and me taking them out for trout, they left very pleased.  Guiding on Kipawa is in my future but with a 1 and 3 year old I am stuck in Pittsburgh for the time being.  Cedar Valley Lodge has a new parking area and ramp access project in progress.  Its going to be sweet.  Check it out on there facebook page.  I think I'll always drive in though.  To me that last couple hour drive through the bush is all part of the experience.  Now for the walleye fishing.  It was pretty dam good if you ask me.  Didn't take a lot of photos and haven't figured out how to get the ones off my phone yet but here's a few from my camera.

My dad and feathers brushing their teeth at the Ottawa river on the way up.

Who says you can't catch walleyes all day.  A 23 and a 25 that we released. Me and the commander (my dad).

Some trout pics.  Put this one back but brought a few home for the smoker/grill.

Now for the pig blue walleye photos.  Biggest are 30 and 31".

Feathers caught another one.  31" blue eye.

We release 95% of our fish but sometimes keep a few bigger ones, especially if they aren't going to survive.  Hope everyone enjoys this place as much as I do this year and many to come.

The Walleye Wacker.

P.S.  A week before our trip I caught a 28" inch Allegheny River eye in the city limits of Pittsburgh. After that I knew it was going to be a good year.

600 miles north

Great report and pics Walleye Wacker! I enjoyed reading it this morning. Sounds like you had another great year and good times. Thanks for sharing it with us!

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

johnny walleye

Very nice ,  Hope I do as well in Aug.

john c

Thanks for posting your report.  Sounds like it was a good trip.
John
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

Dog

@Walleye Wacker  great report and good to see another yinzer on the forum :-)

I've had a bit of luck on the Allegheny as well, not this year yet though...

I'll add your report to the index listing here in a few moments.
One more cast...

Jay Thomas

Nice report. Thanks for sharing.

Jay

Oarin

Nice fish!! Thanks for the report. 13 more days!

rambler

lloks like you guys caught some nice ones!

tbayboy

Awesome report, you guys are pretty hard core and the results prove it out.  Well done!

T-Bone

Sheesh...there are some big 'ol fish in there....nice job. The difference between the biggie and the not-so-biggie on that table is startling.

Thanks for the report...great to see the fishing is still solid.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once