French River and Lake Nipissing June 27th to July 2nd 2015

Started by wvmedic, July 03, 2015, 06:38:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wvmedic

I know this isn't Kipawa area, but wanted to share.

We arrived at Fish Tale Cabins and Campground on June 27th, got settled in and started fishing the French river on the 28th. This was our first trip to the French river the first day saw two fish total for the Wife. A respectable 18 inch Walleye and a small, Smallmouth.

Day 2 did some exploring and the Wife hooked a nice 22.5 inch Walleye and another Smallmouth. I got skunked and caught nothing on the French.

Day 3 we made a trip to Lake Nipissing, put in at Sucker Creek and went fishing. I caught two 23.5 inch Walleye and a decent Northern, the Wife caught some Perch and the biggest Drum I’ve ever seen. It was 8 pounds, she caught it within feet of where I caught one of the Walleye and just minutes after me hooking up with the Walleye. So we had a double header. Also witnessed an Eagle flying away from the bay we were in with a Northern that looked to be about 16 inches.

Day 4 we were again back on Nipissing we rented a slip from Frank at Memquisit Lodge, great guy by the way. We rented the slip for 3 days and pulled out on the second day as we decided to head home. He chased us down on his ATV to give us our money for the third day we weren’t going to use. We thanked him and told him it was okay, just keep it and thanks for being so nice. He said that he just wanted to be fair and that he believes in and stands by being honest and fair. In my opinion he runs a top notch operation.  When we were leaving and about ¾ of a mile before 64, I we saw our first ever Black Bear in the wild. It crossed right in front of us as we were rounding a corner.  Another 100 yards or so further on and a Red Fox was walking along the road.

I caught my first ever fish on a jig, it was a respectable Walleye to boot, no more eye’s were caught. The Wife did manage several small Perch and some Sunfish.

All in all it was a good trip.
Jeff

puckster_guy

great report, wvmedic I love that area. I used to fish the side closer to Georgian Bay. A spot called the "elbow". Glad you guys had a great time.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your report Jeff. And thanks very much for including pictures in your report. IMHO, pictures always improve any fishing report.

Jay

SgtCrabby

Thanks for the report Jeff. 
I had to show it to my wife so she'll understand some wives go there and catch fish too.  Maybe someday she'll  go with me.Thanks again.

600 miles north

I love seeing all the pics as well. Nancy really helped us out by adding the tiny pic button, that should increase the number of pics in posts this year quite a bit! Cheers, WVmedic and thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

johnny walleye

Dog

Jeff, great report and thanks for sharing the pics. I'll add it to the master trip report index at the bottom
One more cast...

wvmedic

@Dog, thank you Sir.

I'm glad everyone liked the trip report.

@Jay Thomas, I agree. Pictures make a big difference in the report, kind of lets us readers be there Vicariously.

@SgtCrabby, don't give up hope on the Better Half. Debbie loves to fish, I believe even more than I do. She will go to Nipissing every year if given the chance, but Lake Ostaboningue. Well that is a different story, it's to far into the bush and way out of her comfort zone.

Jeff

Fort Wisers

WOW, how did I miss seeing this report in the first place?!
Great report, thanks for sharing!