Family Trip July 23-26

Started by WillageD, July 28, 2017, 08:38:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillageD

Hey all, spent a few days at the family camp with my wife and daughter from July 23-26. The trip was more about family time then fishing, but as always I managed a few hours of fishing time over the 3 days. Sunday we arrived mid afternoon, it was overcast, mom and dad were just packing up to leave camp and dad tells me "fishings been slow over the weekend, good luck". After dinner I head out to my typical walleye hole for a quick fish, I typically jig, but decide to troll a bottom bouncing rig/work harness rig tonight as its early (630) and I plan to be back at camp before the prime bite right at sundown. The idea with bottom bouncing was to cover different depths in hopes of locating the fish. Within 5 minutes of trolling I land a nice 17" walleye. Text pic to dad "fishings slow eh"...the bottom bouncing was successful, fished for about an hour and a half and landed 12 walleye, most of which were nice size 15-18"....lost a mid20's at the side of the boat while reaching down to grab the net- put up a heck of a fight, and was nice to see it, but would have loved an official measurement and picture. Bottom bounced anywhere from 15-24' of water.
Next day was heavy wind a rain- got out for a quick laker troll mid morning while the girls were watching movies- landed one little laker in 60 fow trolling spoon at 45. Also got out again after dinner for a walleye troll,  this trip yielded 6 eyes- same info as day before.
Tuesday was beautiful, got up at 5am to head out for another walleye troll. My early raising efforts were not really rewarded as I only landed 3 walleye, although 1 of them was a beautiful 22"er. Did a quicker laker troll mid afternoon with the family and got another little guy that couldn't even set off the dipsy release. This time 70fow trolled 55'.

That was it for fishing on this trip...felt I did pretty well for minimal effort... back in three weeks with the boys for our annual true fishing trip.

Greg

Great to hear the bottom bouncing rig worked for you... I meant to try that this year and even put some in the boat for that purpose, but just didn't get time.

Mind if I ask what weight of a bottom bouncer you used?

THx,
Greg

SgtCrabby

Great report, thank you for sharing g.

I have some bottom bouncers, I've never used them. 
Maybe it's time I dust them off and try them.

WillageD

Quote from: Greg on July 28, 2017, 10:09:22 AM
Great to hear the bottom bouncing rig worked for you... I meant to try that this year and even put some in the boat for that purpose, but just didn't get time.

Mind if I ask what weight of a bottom bouncer you used?

THx,
Greg

2oz..... I think the rule of thumb is an Ounce for every 10ft of water. In my range of 15-24ft 2oz seemed perfect- kept contact with bottom and minimal snags.

Greg

Awesome.  Thanks for rule of thumb hint - I'll remember that.

crackers42

Greg,

Worm harness are what we use 99% of the time and no issues covering water and landing numbers of fish.  I would suggest 3/8 to 1/2 ounce in 20 feet or less possibly 3/4 to an ounce in 30-40

no more than an ounce.

johnny walleye