NEW / UPDATED: T-Bone's Alwaki Lodge Report - July 28 - August 3, 2018

Started by T-Bone, August 10, 2018, 03:49:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

I remember an old Little Rascals episode where Spanky was babysitting a bunch of babies and toddlers. This one toddler would always answer any question he was presented with the simply reply of, “Remarkable”. Well, I’m no toddler anymore, that’s for sure…but when asked over the past week how our trip to Canada and Lake Kipawa went this year I seem to reply with the same redundant, simply answer…”It was remarkable.”

The shape of our group was a little different this year. Marco, my cousin, best friend, and closest brother, could not make the trip due to some personal stuff he has got going on. He and I have been doing this for over 30-years straight together…and I knew the trip was going to be much different without him. Turns-out, he almost pulled-off a miracle arrival on Tuesday, but it just didn’t pan out. A newbie that was supposed to come bailed-out at the last second, so we were down to five…all seasoned…all Alwaki and Lake Kipawa veterans.

The Trip
Mattie and I punched out of Columbus about 6PM on Thursday heading up to Big Dave’s in suburban Cleveland to get a little head start on the drive and spend the night. The plan was to meet-up with Walt and his son Jake (aka Tex) who had driven up from College Station, TX where he is a senior at Texas A&M. (And we think our drive is long!). After a quick coldie with Mattie at a local dive bar near my old neighborhood where I grew up in Parma, we met the crew at Dave’s for some food, brews, and a proper kick-off to the trip. By 6AM the next morning we were heading NE toward Buffalo and the trip was officially underway.

Getting through the border by 10AM pays off…wish we would have learned that fact years ago. Literally, NO WAIT…and we were north of Toronto by 11AM. Remarkable. As Hodgey stated, it was stop-and-go - - for no apparent reason of an accident or construction - - all the way from Vaughn to Orillia. Doesn’t anyone in Ontario work on Friday? After a confusing search for some lunch in Bracebridge where we never did find any meaningful grub stop (note to self…never stop in Bracebridge again), we arrived in Temiscaming about 4PM and got into some cold brews to commence our week in one of the greatest places on earth. Dag that tastes good. A quick stop on Saturday morning at the IGA for perishables,  another at Kipawa Bait and Tackle for 4-pounds of leeches (awesome quality) and quick chat with Corina, we were over to the dock for pick-up by Alwaki Lodge at 11AM. Boom…we are on our way!!!

Start Your Engines, and Get on The Walleye Highway
It was quite cool and spitting rain when we unloaded at camp on Saturday, but no matter, we had real work to do. “Psssssst!” and crack goes the Bleue. That’ll get the engine started. The weather cleared by mid-afternoon and we went out for the evening bite. Unlike last year, we found the bite to be slooooow…I think I only caught a couple fish on both Saturday and Sunday. Tex, Dave, and Walt were doing OK though, so maybe my boat mate Mattie and I had the stink on us. We had to change things up Monday evening, so we shifted venues for an old stand-by spot I knew from way back that I have not fished in over 10-years. Remarkable. Drop jig, catch fish, drop jig, catch fish, drop jig, catch fish. Big Dave was flying solo just off our starboard side and would let us know when he saw a squall coming our way. So we would watch him catch a few fish…within minutes we had the squall hit our location. Fish on. Fish on. Fish on. Remarkable. Dave dubbed it “The Walleye Highway”. We had found our rhythm, and re-discovered an old stand-by location that will not be soon forgotten.

Beautiful day once the the rain and drizzle cleared upon our arrival on Saturday

“I Smell Smoke”
Those first few days were marked by pretty good fishing, variable weather with some massive rain / t-storms, and the ever-present dank of wood smoke in the air. It was inescapable. When brushing the sleep out of your eyes in the morning you would swear someone had built a campfire just outside your bedroom window. I think it was on Tuesday…we actually got up early (yes…amazing…don’t faint) to head out fishing and were stymied by a thick presence of smog that did not permit safe travel on the lake. The winds shifted a bit and that eventually cleared to some degree by about 11AM, though the sky had a blanket of smoke through it most of the day. Unfortunately, the guests at the Lac Audoin outpost had to cut their trip short due to the poor air quality. In all the years I have been going up to Canada, I’ve never seen anything like it. Again…remarkable. I hope they get that situation under control sooner than later.

Landmarks less than a couple miles away were obscured due to smoke from fires in Ontario

The Bleue Train
Through the week, the weather stabilized and we got into a nice rhythm of fishing, eating, drinking, relaxing, and simply enjoying the environment. We would visit with Hodgey and the boys every day…either on our deck or theirs…share a beer…discuss current fishing insights on what is working and what’s not, and what the plan was for the evening. As has been chronicled over the years, our group enjoys the pleasures of cold beer and great dialogue, and Hodgey’s group aligns with that perfectly. What a great group of guys…and serious about their fishing…and beer. It is always a head scratcher when we actually sit back and quantify the rate and number of beers consumed. With Dave and Walt as our resident engineers, they are always counting, measuring, and calculating something. Every minute, every day. Hence, we always knew where we stood with regard to how many beers were drank, how many we had left, how many were getting cold, how many were cold, and the number/location of those ready to consume. It is a nice little benefit of being with those two…you never have to worry about “warm’ish beer’age” as we call it. Suffice it to say we had an extra (5) cases in camp this year due to the newbie that did not come last minute. It turned out to be a blessing…we probably would have run-out of beer. Yes…those Bleues go down the gullet quickly, almost to the point of embarrassing…but still good, and still remarkable. As for the dialogue, all I can confirm is that we roped Brian (owner of Alwaki Lodge) into The Great Tree Debate, and there were times I laughed so hard my eyes were bulging and I feared passing out. One night after fishing and imbibing on our usual post-fishing parade of Bleues, Walt told the dirtiest (and sickest) joke I have ever heard. Dave nearly needed to resuscitate both Walt and I as we were in such hysterics laughing. I still giggle every time I think of the joke. Interestingly, while on the Bleue Train during the week, the tracks never get bumpy…or start swirling…or lead to a derailment…or result in next morning ‘disembarkment’ regret. Dave calls it the Magical Mystical No-Hangover of Kipawa…I simply call it, yep…remarkable.

The Bleue Train will also float, as proven by Big Dave as he relaxes in the sun with his floating "box car"

Head North…More North
Our only real adventure of the week was heading north up to Canal Bay and see what that is all about. I’ve never been in that area of the lake so it made it a bit of an adventure. Pretty up there. Sheer cliffs….I am guessing 70+ feet tall at least…probably a few over 100-feet tall in a canal maybe 20-yards wide. Quite a sight…one might say remarkable in its natural beauty. We filled-up the boats before leaving (gas, Bleues, food), but our engineers doing their calculations concluded when we were heading up there one of the boats was likely to run out of gas upon return, and that’s no good. Personally, I think the deluge of Bleues through the week was clouding their judgement, but we split the group up on the way home and did make it back without incident. We never made it south of Thompson Island toward Hunters Lake, never made it up through the chute into Lac Audoin, and never really got to many of our “old haunts” we have established over the years. If anything, it was the year of breaking traditions…of course except for our enjoyment of the Bleue and spending time with great friends in a remarkable slice of heaven on earth.

Quite breathtaking, the sheer cliffs of Canal Bay. Photos simply cannot do it justice...

Ogopogo Lives Here
As the week wound down the old bones start to creak and ache a bit. Nothing cures that better than a fresh face and a great personality. Ozzy (Ozzy30 here) arrived about 10AM on Thursday and settled-in to the cabin just above us at camp. We quickly said hello and caught him up on what has been happening during the week. Within an hour he was out on the water with his family enjoying Lake Kipawa. A few weeks before our trip when I learned we would be in camp for a couple days of overlap, I asked Ozzy to do me a favor; please take out my nephew Mattie and show him the ropes of fishing for lake trout. There are few words to describe how much Mattie loves to fish and lake trout is his only box yet to be checked. Ozzy tried to educate both me and Mattie a few years ago, but I do not know what I am doing and Ozzy is a pro’s pro at fishing for those on Kipawa. He quickly obliged and on Friday mid-morning Mattie got the call….”Ozzy needs you down at the dock to take you laker fishing.” Mattie lit-up like a kid on Christmas morning…scrambling to find his gear and get over to Ozzy’s boat…then off they went. Those of us mortals back at Alwaki did our thing…which was not much as it was a hot day and only good for keeping hydrated with cold Bleues. Late afternoon…they are back. I was taking a short nap and came out to the deck to find Ozzy, Ozzy’s son, and Mattie all glowing…wide-eyed…telling the story. As expected Ozzy found the lakers, and informed Mattie the first one on the line was “his”. And the rest is history…15-20 minutes of fighting, massive adrenaline rush, and Ozzy lands Mattie’s 17.2 pound laker in his suddenly-too-small net. Mattie said Ozzy coached him through the whole thing and said when Ozzy first saw the fish below the water, all he could say was “OH….MY…GOD!!!” Nothing short of remarkable…and per Brian, a camp record lake trout since he’s owned Alwaki circa 2001. If you have ever read my trip reports you know I believe there is an Ogopogo monster in Lake Kipawa. Though a 17.2 pound laker is not Ogopogo, it’s a monster to be sure for Lake Kipawa. Congrats to Mattie…and a lifetime of thanks and gratitude to Ozzy…it’s something none of us will ever forget. Hopefully we can return the favor someday.

The beaming smile of satisfaction is unmistakable as Mattie holds up his awesome prize

Captain Ozzy proudly shows the fruits of his teachings and education with Mattie, like a true fishing guide...

And That’s a Wrap
We enjoyed our usual steak and potatoes dinner that Friday evening…hit the water for a few more ‘eyes that evening, and called it a trip. Fishing was good that last evening as it was pretty-much the whole week. I have no idea how many walleye we caught, but I’m confident both Jake and Dave eclipsed their previous best totals. Walt caught a ton, and Mattie and I caught plenty, to be sure. If I had to guess, more than 500, less than 750…but I really have no idea. On the “others” list besides the solo monster laker, there were a couple of small pike, one very small smallmouth, one perch, and one rock bass (yes…rock bass). We beat it out of Alwaki Lodge at 7AM Saturday morning and I was standing in my garage unloading my gear by 7:30PM that evening.

Until next year, my beautiful heaven, I bid you adieu...

Thanks guys...
A quick shout out to my boys…Walt, Dave, Jake, and Mattie, for making my trip so special. Many great memories created that will not be forgotten. I’m very thankful for my friends and I cherish that week with those boys. We certainly missed Marco this year, but I’m confident he’ll be back in the fold next year for another fantastic trip on The Bleue Train through the Kipawa wilderness chasing those pesky ‘eyes. 

My friend for over 35 years, Walt and his son Jake, kept me in stitches through the whole trip

Big Dave, Zbas, or just Dave...such a refreshing thirst for life (and Bleue) and the quickest, deepest wit you have ever been around

My nephew, but moreover my friend, Mattie...the best fisherman across the entire group by a loooooonnnng shot

Thanks to Brian and Tina of Alwaki Lodge also; great camp, great cabins, great equipment, and great people. We love it there and can't wait to get back.

So there you have it…the 2018 Kipawa Trip is in the books…and it was nothing short of remarkable.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Ozzy30

As always a great poet t-bone, nobody can say it better.  It was my pleasure taking Mattie out and it was great watching him catch a fish of that caliber.  If we ever overlap again he is always invited into my boat.

Chazz

Ozzy30 we're headed to Ogascanan this Sunday for a week any chance you could share a few laker tips. We dont have down triggers so we planned on some tube jigging and 3 way swivel trolling.

Captain Hali

Great report T-Bone as a matter of fact, better than great REMARKABLE!! Out of curiosity, did you do any trolling for Eyes, is so, were you successful? Again if so, what worked best for you?

fishtildark

Thanks for the great report, great stories and that is a really beautiful trout. That is an example of the reason people spend the time fishing for them and its nice to have someone that knows the ropes.
Sounds like a great group of guys too. But hey, whats with I bid you adieu? is there no fall trip or is Hodgey the only one that has that figured out? the other question I have , and I realize it could be a closely guarded secret, but how many cases of Blues for 5 guys? Just for comparison purposes you know.... :o
So many lures and so little time.

CaptainCrappie

Excellent report T-Bone.  Lots of fish, lots of laughs, and lots of Blues. Any one of them is great on their own, but when you have them all, it doesn't get any better.

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

Hodgey1

I agree with Oz, you’re quite the poet TB. Reading your report was a real pleasure, particularly since I was there to enjoy the camaraderie and share in the world-class man time. Those 7 days go by way, way too fast, I would love to rewind the clock and start our week over again today!

Counting the days till next year.
Walleye Rock!

Oarin

Wow T-Bone great report and pictures! Glad you had a safe and enjoyable trip. You're right, Kipawa is a "remarkable" place. Can't wait for next year's trip.

Greg

Great job T-bone and crew... Mattie - amazing laker catch!! and hats off to ozzie for "gett'en on them so quick!"

Greg

limacharley

Great report T-Bone-feels like I was there with you.

Quick question...

How will Mattie prepare that laker? Looking for a good recipe for fatty fish.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T-Bone

Thanks for the kinds words all; I know the report is a bit scant on fishing details, but I'm of the belief that what works during "this week" is definitely NOT going to be the right way to go for another week. And I'd rather give you some perspective on what our trip was like in total...after all...fishing / catching is really only a fraction of the total goal and result anyway. I'll highlight a few things re: what worked and what didn't with regards to the fishing:

Walleyes: Caught them in 14' down to 31'; Mattie got a few on a slip bobber, but the aggressive fish were on the bottom or really close to it; didn't catch any trolling, maybe because we didn't try for them trolling. Took crawler harnesses, never tied one on. 99% were caught on jig/body/leech set-up. My most productive days I was featuring white, but was also surrounded by those using the full spectrum of colors. If asked, I'd say 26' - 28' was most productive. I was using a 3" plastic white body...straight with no twister, etc., looked like a Senko, but fatter. Pink / white and chartreuse / white where my bread-n-butter.

Pike: Nothing of note, so nothing to report.

Lakers: I have no idea here, hence why Mattie went with Ozzie. I know they were using downriggers. Mattie's preparation for that fish...if I'm accurate I'd say it was about 3-4 cold Bleues that morning.  :o  That laker was effectively burped and is still swimming in Lake Kipawa, so she's not going to hit the pan just yet. And Lima...you WERE there silly... ;). From what we can tell, a laker that size is over 30-years old...older than Mattie himself. Wow.

Trying again to put together a 3-dayer up there in September...can't imagine having to wait until next year. BUT, if I plan well and the creek don't rise, I may try to hit Kipawa 3x next season. We shall see.

T-Bone.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Hodgey1

Walleye Rock!

GregL

NortonJoe

Enjoyed the report!  I always take a camera then forget to take pictures...gotta remember next year!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jay Thomas

Thanks for a great report Todd. Congrats to Mattie on his 17 pound laker - a real beauty.

Jay