2019 trip to Camp 3 Seasons

Started by tbayboy, February 15, 2020, 06:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tbayboy

Hi everyone, this is kind of out of the blue but the fishing show season has started here in Toronto and I'm stuck at home instead of ice fishing and was looking over old photos and figured 6 months after a trip is about time for the report post :)

Julia and I hadn't been up in a couple years because we bought a property on the bay of quinte and have been busy setting it up (ask me about evicting snakes...).  But we were talking to Reggie at the show and I mentioned that I finally bought my own boat and he was like "you gotta bring it up then!".  The idea of towing it the 6 hours didn't sound like fun (especially since the longest I'd towed it to that point was less than 100km) but it did sound like fun so we signed up for another week.  The other big change this year (beside the boat) was that we decided to go in mid summer (August) as opposed to our normal late June trips. The idea of not being eaten alive by bugs was appealing and I'm past the point of needing to be there for "the best" fishing.

So August came along and off we went. The drive up with the boat went great, I was worried for nothing. Reggie was right (as he almost always is) - having my own boat up there was GREAT. Nothing against the boats Reggie supplies but it's nice to have all of your tackle available and a strong fancy trolling motor and, as turned out to be very important this trip, a full cover! 

Yep, we had some interesting weather - wind, rain and a good old hail storm thrown in for good measure. Temperatures were pretty cool for the time of the year but nothing we couldn't handle.

The "fancy" boat was able to easily hold and fish wherever we want in this mix of weather and we even setup some dipsy's for trout fishing for a change (and then promptly lost both on the bottom... still some learning to do there). Walleye were scattered but there were a few key spots that produced dinners whenever we wanted and a couple decent sized fish ended up in the boat (and then back in the water).  No real pike to speak of (a couple hammer handles) but WOW were the bass on.  Every day had at least one 4.5 to 5 lber and I love smallmouth fishing so I had a great time.

And about the bugs - what bugs?  Holy cow what a difference a few months makes. I mean yes, fishing was probably better in the spring and fall but you can still get plenty of fish and then go back to enjoy dinner without worrying about getting eaten alive. If you haven't guessed this my new 'go to' time for Kipawa trips!

Anyhow, long story short: august = no bugs, weather can still be mixed, listen to Reggie (or your other lodge owners) - they know where the fish are, and spot lock is worth every penny :).

I've pasted a bunch of photos here (lots of scenery ones) but you can see some videos as well on this google photo page:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/sbyNAt5HvNK18Zfn8 (nothing fancy, I didn't really have the gopro going much at all).

Hope everyone is surviving the winter and planning for their next Kipawa trip!  See you all up there!

puckster_guy

Hey great report. I Love all the pictures. Did you notice any difference in the walleye fishing since the bass moved in?
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

tbayboy

Not really. I've been going up since 2011 so I don't have the view of the some of the "old timers" but I can still get a dinner any time I need it. I love the extra variety - mornings I mix it up between walleye and top water bassing (my favourite fishing) then do bass and pike in the afternoon and sometimes trout. Evenings are all about the 'eyes and there's still plenty of them around.

NovarDave

Nice report, thank you for sharing.

Jay Thomas

Hi Sean and Julia,

Thanks for sharing your report. Nice to see pictures of you both still enjoying fishing. Nice looking boat too.

Jay

SgtCrabby

Wow, thanks for sharing your report and the wonderful pictures.

Don't sweat towing your boat, I towed mine last summer to Kipawa from Texas (2000 miles or 3218 km one way. 4 days road time).  It was worth it to me after I got there.

Greg

Great report and great pics!

Question - do you eat any of the bass you catch?

T-Bone

Wonderful report and some nice reading on a cold winter's day. Those are some dandy 'eyes and smallies...nice going.

Looks like that one walleye bit a jig and HAD a jig stuck in his gullet. Sheesh...probably makes it tough to swallow anything larger than a minnow. Were you able to get it out or did you harvest that fish?

Thanks for posting; maybe one of the Admins can move it over Trip Reports area.

94/158
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

gordy28ca

Thanks for sharing - really enjoyed that!
My outdoors blog www.northernjacks.com

tbayboy

Quote from: T-Bone on February 17, 2020, 10:26:59 AM
Wonderful report and some nice reading on a cold winter's day. Those are some dandy 'eyes and smallies...nice going.

Looks like that one walleye bit a jig and HAD a jig stuck in his gullet. Sheesh...probably makes it tough to swallow anything larger than a minnow. Were you able to get it out or did you harvest that fish?

Thanks for posting; maybe one of the Admins can move it over Trip Reports area.

94/158

Yeah I realized I put it in the wrong group - sorry about that. And there's a story about that 2 jig 'eye.  My wife and were vertical jigging about 7' away from each other. I got a hit set the hook and it took of sideways then Julia gets a bite - yep, as we're both reeling in we realized it was one fish.  No sure if it was so hungry it grabbed both or just sort of swung into it but both hooks are in the mouth so I'm going with hungry fish :)

tbayboy

Quote from: Greg on February 17, 2020, 08:24:37 AM
Great report and great pics!

Question - do you eat any of the bass you catch?
I haven't at Kipawa but I have in Northern Ontario (where I'm from originally and go to for a guys trip every year). I'd have no problem with a 2-3 lber on the dinner plate - we can barely tell the difference to be honest (also - there's LOTS of wine/beer on that trip so maybe not the best judge....). In Kipawa its just Julia and I and we've never needed to (always been enough Walleye for the two of us).