Trolling Motor Battery

Started by Hodgey1, August 23, 2019, 07:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

Dumb question, but......... What are people doing to recharge their trolling motor battery while at camp??? I know, plug the charger in, but what if no AC is available? Solar chargers or adding another battery in parallel, or jump box? IDK?

I currrently only have one battery for the TM, which has never been a problem to date, because I rarely have used the TM. I just installed iPilot on my TM and plan on using it instead of the anchor, but I’m assuming its going to use up the battery quickly.

Not having ever used the TM as an anchor, I’m just not sure what to expect. Please weight in with what i should anticipate or prepare for. Note: I don’t have a compartment sized available to add another battery unless, I keep a spare on hand and swap?
Walleye Rock!

Greg

Friends bring a generator (small quiet Honda or yamaha and run it all night sitting on the dock - you can't even hear it 10 feet away).

Charge your battery overnight!

Greg

RHYBAK

Quote from: Greg on August 24, 2019, 09:13:51 AM
Friends bring a generator (small quiet Honda or yamaha and run it all night sitting on the dock - you can't even hear it 10 feet away).

Charge your battery overnight!

Greg

Ditto
Or look for a camp that supplies power
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

Call me nostalgic, or just plain old fashioned...but why would you want a camp that has power? To charge a boat battery? Maybe a phone battery? Or a tablet battery? Or worse? Where do you draw the line?

Maybe in my heart of hearts I'm a purist...I still believe the escape from "this world" to "that world" should be stark...not just a different spot on the map that essentially provides the same access to 'technology'.

But no...you won't catch me fishing out of a canoe that I paddled 3-miles to get to the fishing hole...there is a line...  :o

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on August 26, 2019, 10:00:32 AM
Call me nostalgic, or just plain old fashioned...but why would you want a camp that has power? To charge a boat battery? Maybe a phone battery? Or a tablet battery? Or worse? Where do you draw the line?

Maybe in my heart of hearts I'm a purist...I still believe the escape from "this world" to "that world" should be stark...not just a different spot on the map that essentially provides the same access to 'technology'.

But no...you won't catch me fishing out of a canoe that I paddled 3-miles to get to the fishing hole...there is a line...  :o

Well, you see it's like this!

Some of us bring our own boats from home.
In turn, some of us that bring our own boats also have electric motors.
Some of those electric motors come with a feature called I-Pilot or Anchor mode.
This feature provides us with a means of locking onto one spot and holding us in that spot without constantly lowering and lifting anchor ropes.
To use this feature required battery power that is hooked up to one or two separate batteries that are not connected to the boats battery charging system.
These batteries eventually drain and require recharging. Hence the need for AC power in the camp or the need of a portable generator.

I do hope that this explanation will suffice.

On another note, In my case I also require AC power in camp all night for my CPAP machine.

T-Bone

Quote from: RHYBAK on August 26, 2019, 10:47:52 AM
On another note, In my case I also require AC power in camp all night for my CPAP machine.

I'll accept this...the rest of it is just fluff and comfort...  ;D

Next thing you know you boys will be rolling up memory foam mattresses and bringing those to camp...

Hodgey1

Quote from: T-Bone on August 26, 2019, 11:31:19 AM
Next thing you know you boys will be rolling up memory foam mattresses and bringing those to camp...

You don't? ???   ;D
Walleye Rock!

Rico

Geez.
I wonder what people did in the old days???

RHYBAK

Quote from: Rico on August 28, 2019, 08:51:37 AM
Geez.
I wonder what people did in the old days???

In they old days , they did not drive 500 miles to go walleye fishing.

They paddled across their bay and tries spearing what they could find, then ate it raw.
They also drank water right out of the lake because there was no pollution.

Hodgey1

??? I just want to use my trolling motor...

I don't want to hurt small animals. :o..……... just fish  ;D
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Quote from: Hodgey1 on August 28, 2019, 11:38:37 AM
??? I just want to use my trolling motor...

I don't want to hurt small animals. :o..……... just fish  ;D

Sorry
Just having some fun on your thread.
Sorry to say  that it obviously got highjacked off topic just like every other topic on every fishing site around

Hodgey1

Quote from: RHYBAK on August 28, 2019, 12:02:37 PM
Sorry
Just having some fun on your thread.
Sorry to say  that it obviously got highjacked off topic just like every other topic on every fishing site around
All good! I was having fun also.

Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Quote from: RHYBAK on August 28, 2019, 12:02:37 PM

Guilty as charged. Sorry all...

- D.B. Cooper

Gordo2270

Maybe T-Bone has an old bike with a generator you can pedal to charge it up...lol.....give me all the modern conveniences.... thank you...that's what you need over 70

sorry T-Bone could not help it...some Canadian humour eeeehhh

Gordo

Hodgey1

Everyone of course is different and since I'm leaving for a week in paradise in less than 20 hours, I will embrace the @T-Bone slide-ways, away from my trolling motor battery.

Many years ago "and much younger" I would pack myself miles into the mountains of Colorado and hunt Elk. Sleeping in a tent on the cold ground for up to 10 days. Frozen coffee water in the mornings, a small can of tuna for lunch and a Ramen noodle cup for dinner. Shoot an Elk? then quarter it up in the field and hang in trees. Then spend the next two days packing it out. This is how I used to spend two weeks a year.

Many years later and much less testosterone and I'll say "More Smarts" here's my "personal" view of camp life while at Kipawa, which is very "I want my cake and eat it too"

All the amenities that are offered at Alwaki are as "roughing it" as I want to get anymore, ie: hot shower, flush toilet, running water and a gas grill. No power service is not an issue for me, other than how to keep my TM battery charged. I was really hoping this thread would produce "Hey Hodgey, just buy an XYZ solar thinger, rated at 10 jewbbles" not the run underwater electric cables to power up the wilderness.

Here's the cake and eat it too: I absolutely hate the fact that internet is available at camp. Where are the youngin's when pap brings them in from fishing? Laying on the couch in the lodge on the wifi…….. Where's my son-in-law after the evening bite? Always in a hurry to grab the wifi and facetime with his family. Even me, dark clouds are forming and off I go to check the weather.

If I was King, I would outlaw internet while at any Canadian camp! Except when I want to check the weather ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Walleye Rock!