Baie Dorval Report July 19-28

Started by Goach15, July 29, 2019, 07:47:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goach15

Spent  9 days at the cottage . Weather was good with a few Thunderstorms . Bugs weren't as bad as some groups have reported but our place has much of the bush cleared and we get a good breeze.Fishing was fantastic and we caught many fish every day . Caught bass during the day with a few pickerel ( can't get used to calling them walleye ) sprinkled in and fished pickerel at night .Most pickerel were above the low end of the slot and we caught 8 that were over the legal max. I decided to try slip bobbering over jigging for the majority of the time.I am a believer in this technique. I caught more and bigger pickerel than my wife who stuck to jigging. Once I got the sinker orientation correct over a plain hook with a leech I had no issues with tangles at the bobber when casting. I was fishing water anywhere from 10-22 feet deep .I caught 2 walleye back to back that were 23 and 24 inches respectively just before a Tstorm came through on Wednesday night .Spent some time exploring a few new spots that were productive . On the advice of someone here I bought a few bottles of Fin de Monde beer at the IGA. Made it through about a quart and a half one night and that was the end of me !. Will stick to Coors from now on..LOL..Heading back for another week this Friday. Thanks

Greg

Great report - and success with slip bobbering also!  Congrats.

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your report. It's always nice to hear about the fishing in other areas of the lake. I have a question for you. Is the area around Ile aux Fraises and the islands south east a good fishing location for pickerel? Thanks in advance.

Jay

GregL

Great Report! I tried slip bobbering last year, it was a lot of fun!

I think need to get a rod with bigger eyes though, my jig'n rods don't seem to cast as well with the bobber stop.

Goach15

Hi Jay , The area around Strawberry Island is good for pickerel and is a popular destination. The mainland shorline has many bays and Islands that hold fish. The water around Isle Fraise has many shoals so use the Minn Kota until you know the water if you ever head that way.

Hodgey1

Great report. I will have to give slip bobbering a try.

Quote from: Goach15 on July 29, 2019, 07:47:51 PM
On the advice of someone here I bought a few bottles of La Fin de Monde beer at the IGA. Made it through about a quart and a half one night and that was the end of me !. Will stick to Coors from now on..LOL..
Sorry @Goach15, that was me..... I love the La Fin de Monde! Translation from French to English is "The End of the World" It should be renamed in English to "It will ruin your world, if not careful" LOL ;D

I should have placed a disclaimer on the recommendation, to be wherever you need to be for the night, before consuming. La Fin at 9% ABV and the Coors at 4.2%, you are drinking more than a 2 for 1 beers.

Here's the math @T-Bone :  Qty 2 La Fin = 4.28 Coors  :o LOL....
Walleye Rock!

puckster_guy

I gotta try a few of those beers next time I go up.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

bucknbull

9% ABV ?   :o
I saw that stuff in the store, but had no idea it had that kind of kick.

T-Bone

Nice report. And "spent 9 days" and "heading back for a week this Friday"....that just makes me envious. Let us know how you do.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once