Some Perspective

Started by Jay Thomas, October 28, 2019, 01:56:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Thomas

Reflecting on T-Bone’s post about symmetry and his 55th birthday surprise put some things in perspective for me.

The year I turned 55 (1998) was also the year I retired (Sep 1998). Consequently, so far, I have enjoyed 21 years plus of retirement. Besides enjoying being married to a wonderful lady for 49 years, I regularly enjoy contact with our daughter, her husband and their two sons (12 and 10). And last but not least, I still really enjoy sitting in a boat in remote north west Quebec fishing for walleye and lake trout.

T-Bone’s posts always remind us to “Embrace every moment…you only get it once”. Similarly, Irishfield’s post on Ontariofishingcommunity.com always end with “ENJOY LIFE NOW â€" IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE”.

Our fishing group of 40 years standing has approximately 15 members. The youngest is 76 while the oldest turned 85 last Saturday. This past August, one of our members passed away after a lengthy battle with cancer. He was 80 years old. And today I received a telephone call alerting me to the fact that one of our guys (79 years old) was taken to the hospital this morning. Apparently, he took a tumble and broke several ribs.

So the perspective is:

“Embrace every moment…you only get it once” and “ENJOY LIFE NOW â€" IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE”.

Jay

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Greg

Great words Jay...

And it certainly makes one think about their fishing buddies... I remember the first time I went to Kipawa with a group of 6 or 8 guys - I was the youngest ... and now... well the group has evolved - some guys I just don't hang around with much any more and others I am still close with but they have reduced their love of fishing or given up fishing for their preference of golf. 

I am now the old guy and the average age of your group was right around 38 years old... and I am ok with that... I like being the old guy.... so enjoy and embrace every minute.

Fish-on...for as long as you physically can and then a little longer...

Fort Wisers

Great Post Jay, well thought out words of advice, great post as usual.

Oarin

Four years ago, Capt. Guy (Mark), my best friend and fishing partner of 25 years died unexpectedly. My basement room is plastered with pictures of our many trips. I am grateful for our time together but wish there would be more. You're right, Jay, embrace every moment you get. I miss you Mark!!

CaptainCrappie

Amen! Admiral Jay.  A couple of months ago at a regular doctors appointment the doc listens to my heart and asked me if I was experiencing any chest pains. Uh, "NO."  He does an EKG in the office and says that it was "abnormal" and that he is scheduling me for an Echocardiogram.  It was "abnormal" as well. They tell me to get to the ER if I experience any chest pains. Now a cardiologist schedules me for a stress test. Due to my arthritis, a tread mill is out of the question, so it's chemically induced. Same results, "abnormal."  Now it's on to a heart cath. Ready for this?  No anesthetic and I watched the dye being injected, and talked to the doc the whole time.  The cath was through my wrist and was a 15 minute deal. Took em longer to hook up the probes.  But, they shaved me too!!!.... around my thingy!  The nerve!  That was just in case the wrist thing wouldn't work. The doc was a hoot and had me laughing. When I asked the RN about the no anesthetic she says HMMM. "Let me look that up. it will be in your chart."  She says, "You're right, no anesthetic."  The cath was last week. The cath results which I just received, were a tremendous weight off of my family's shoulders.  No blockages so, no stints or surgery.  I have a "weak heart" and it can be treated with medication which will be prescribed at my next cardiologist appt Nov. 11. But "get to the ER if you  experience any chest pains."  Ya just never know....That's why my "perspective" "You don't get these days back, live each day as if it was your last and one day you will be right" applies here.  Take care everybody!

C.C.

You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

Jay Thomas

Hi CaptainCrappie :),

Thanks for sharing your perspective. No doubt there are many folks that share your condition and I'm sure you relating your experience will bring comfort to most. Although I have to admit, that after having spent a few weeks up at Kipawa with you, Larry and Brian, I would have never suspected you had a weak heart. Indeed, up at 4 AM every morning, pacing the floor, waiting for that glimmer of light that would allow us to jump in the boats and go fishing. Ahhh - very fond memories. Stay well Bob!

Jay

Hodgey1

Great perspective Jay as well as T-bones birthday post. We all need the occasional reminder of just how precious and short life is.
Walleye Rock!