Bass affecting Walleye population?

Started by PETERBFLY, July 05, 2018, 11:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PETERBFLY

So it is my “Opinion” that the explosion of the Smallmouths in the last 6 or so years has possibly put a dent in the Walleye population?  Like I posted in my trip report our numbers have dropped significantly in the 3 years and im wondering if the Eyes are slowly on their way out?
Anyone agree, disagree?  Just wondering what others think? 
Maybe its just a big coincidence?  The numbers are the numbers though.  I cant see our Walleye fishing skills gettings worse after fishing that lake for 15+ years and the slot limit should have improved things you would think?  I remember having nights we would catch 50+ Walleye in two hours and a slow night was 20-30 fish.  Now we are lucky if we catch 20-25 all day. 
Thoughts and comments welcomed.  Feel free to disagree.   This is just my opinion.
Thanks all.
Pete
Live to Hunt and Fish.. Work to pay for both..

BigChief

@PETERBFLY We have not seen a drop in our walleye numbers, yet. But as stated in your trip report we primarily jig fish with slip bobbers not trolling.

But it is hard to argue with your numbers. What is also strange is that the bass are not in the lower parts of the lake yet. If you talk to anyone who fishes down south they have never caught a bass.

Here are a few interesting articles that support your theory that I hope is not coming true:
https://dnr.wi.gov/wnrmag/2010/06/fishery.htm
https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577/M04-203.1
https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-smith/2018/06/30/can-walleye-populations-rebound-if-bass-and-panfish-reduced/738077002/

Maybe we need to start keeping the bass when we catch them to help the walleye out!

Jay Thomas

Thanks very much BigChief for the referenced documents.

My understanding after reading those references is that large mouth bass are major predators for walleye - not the small mouth bass that dwell in Lake Kipawa.

Jay

GregL

I would be surprised with a lake the size of Kip that they would do any real damage. We visited Rainy Lake 2 years ago, it is known for its smallie fishery. Let me tell you, the walleye fishing on that lake is INCREDIBLE!!!

What does more damage, is anglers not knowing how to properly handle fish they are releasing and gill netting.

pike mike

First off I'm no expert but , am only expressing my opinion . To my knowledge walleye , smallies and especially largemouth (not sure there are any in Kipawa) prefer different water temps . On a second note there are many many example lakes in my home Province of Ontario where bass and walleyes thrive in the same waters . Having a cottage on Lake Erie I can attest to that .Although Erie , being a great lake , is much much larger than Kipawa it is ,at its deepest 1/2 the depth of Kipawa .In Erie the bass ,both smallmouth and large mouth , and walleye populations are thriving . I cant see a problem . Many lake ecosystems thrive with bass , , trout ,walleye , pike and musky .All finding their own niche and thermocline . All predate on each others fry to some extent     

PETERBFLY

You cant rule it out.  Since the bass exploded on the scene, we have been paying closer attention to our stats and the Walleye seem to be the only numbers that have drastically dropped.  Perhaps its the bass eating the baitfish and taking food out of the Walleyes mouths?  Could be that also?  I should pull out our stats from 2012-2018  to show everyone.  We go from around 200 give or take to 97.  It is a progressive decline also. 
Example:
2012 we had 200
2013 we had 199
2014 we had 198
2015 we had 176
2016 we had 157
2017 we had 136
2018 we had 97
See the decline.  Our numbers should have been going up due to the slot and also one member being a more productve fisherman now that he is 15 years old.  When he was 8 in 2012 he hardly contributed. 
The numbers are for fun and nothing else.  We dont fish for stats, but its a source of entertainment for us and also great to reference every year to see how we do.  We also document spots, weather, water temps and sizes of fish. 
If you want to blame the weather this year lets say, last year our numbers should have been way lower due to the fact that it rained all week and water temps never climbed above 63 degrees. Why werent the Walleye still shallow then? 
Something to keep an eye on in my opinion.  See what happens in the next few years.  Perhaps the bass have overstayed their welcome lol?  I would have no problems with eliminating them from that lake if push came to shove. 
Thanks for all the feedback.  Its great to hear other experienced opionions.

T-Bone

Well...I know one thing...when we fished the NE part of the lake back in 2004-2005 there were no smallies up there. Then, seemingly all of a sudden, there were. Always makes me wonder how the got "in there".
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Fort Wisers

PETERBFLY

I will stop your wondering right now.  They stocked that lake with the smallmouths sometime within the last 10 years give or take.  No question.  Been fishing Kipawa since 2000 and the first bass we caught/noticed was in 2011/2012

PETERBFLY

They are a lot of fun to catch, but not why we come to Canada.  Walleye was what drew us up there.

T-Bone

Quote from: PETERBFLY on July 06, 2018, 07:29:48 PM
They stocked that lake with the smallmouths sometime within the last 10 years give or take.  No question.

Who is "they"?

CaptainCrappie

First trip to Kipawa was 1997.  Owner Gerry of 3 Seasons Camp (before Reggie) when asked about smallmouth, told us, "there are no smallmouth in Kipawa." I thought that strange but believed him.  Gerry has lived in that area his entire life and knows more about that lake than all of us. Gerry is no spring chicken.  There is dirt and Gerry.  Dirt was born in the morning and Gerry in the afternoon.  Why would he lie anyways?   Several years later reports of a few smallmouth were being caught at and near TBL.  What does that tell you?  That's where they were introduced.  Since then the smallmouth population has exploded and are definitely migrating south. Gerry did not like what was happening, I'll let it go at that.

Back in 2011 son Brian and I were fishing at a spot I nicknamed "Big Fish Point."  It's a very early spot , gotta be there at daybreak. If you catch a walleye there it's 3 lbs. or better.  Son Brian got a seven pounder one morning. General Rhybak knows where that spot is. All of a sudden, the locator lit up with fish.  There were clouds of bait fish. and lots of bigger fish.  I have a underwater camera and lowered it and was shocked at what I saw.  A giant school of smallmouth!  They were everywhere.  Everywhere that camera pointed were smallmouth!  Never seen anything like it.  So, in my opinion.  the smallmouth could be considered an invasive specie to Kipawa and no one knows for sure what they will do to that eco system.  Maybe nothing.   We'll just have to wait and see.  They are fun to catch!

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

T-Bone

They're there now... Doesn't matter much how they got there. They are fun to catch and I want to know where that spot is! 😆😳😆

Anyone ever 'target' them in the fall?

puckster_guy

They're no where near my end of the lake yet. I'm kinda hopping they never make it there. However I wouldn't mind making a day trip to catch some. I haven't caught one since I left Georgian Bay 7 yrs ago.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

BH

My son, then 14, caught a 21' smallie and was the best fish he has caught since we have been going to TBL and he has a knack for catching the big fish on our trips.  We have a nice replica hanging on our wall in the mancave. 

I have to imagine that the walleye and smallies can coexist since many fishing shows feature fishing for both in the same lakes.  In addition, here is an interesting abstract from the Indinana DNR:

Interestingly, they found no clear or consistent relationship between walleye and smallmouth bass, suggesting that these two species are much more likely to be found together with much less competition between them, perhaps not as surprising given that they're both considered cool-water, mesotrophic creatures.
Love fishing