Quick Question: Does Line Go "Bad"?

Started by T-Bone, August 24, 2021, 09:15:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

I discovered a few new spools of mono line (Berkley Trilene) still in the packaging that I had in my tackle bag since summer 2019; totally unopened and have been in a dry/dark area since they were purchased.

I would think this line is still "good" as new, but wanted other opinions. I know if mono line is on a reel spool, exposed to the sun constantly, wet, then dry, sun, etc. it can get brittle.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

fishtildark

have the same situation and just respooled with line from 2018( Trilene 1000 yd spool) it seems fine . Have three smaller unopened spools and no concerns about using those.. spend the money from new line on Blues .
So many lures and so little time.

T-Bone

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

plowjock

Generally, if the line has not been exposed to heat and sunlight, it should be good. I have spools over 10 years old in the dark in the basement, which I still use. Have not had any issues with line breakage. Most of it is Berkley line in 1000 yard spools.
Sunlight is the major destroyer of lines with the UV rays just killing it.
I used to see a lot of weekend fishermen with 2 piece rods stored in the back windows of their vehicles.
The heat and sunrays would render that line so brittle and weak, if they ever got a decent fish on, it would hardly ever make it to the boat or shoreline.