Boston Whaler Montauk 170?

Started by Gary S, June 21, 2022, 07:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary S

I know that's not what most would think of for Kipawa but you all need something to think about sometimes so give opinions good or bad for an all purpose boat. I now have a 15' skiff with 25HP tiller and a 24' CC deep vee with twin 150s. At 70 years old I don't do the ocean too often and could give it up, the skiffs good for shallow crabbing but beats you in any chop. I'd like one boat to fish the Delaware and/or Chesapeake Bay, maybe a Great Lakes trip, and yes maybe a Kipawa trip. The 17' Montauk changed hulls in 2018 so the new one is what I'd look at, any opinions?

Fort Wisers

We run a Bay 21 CC, and love it. These Bay CC style Boats are great, in our case the only change I'd like to make is add a Tee Top to eliminate the uprights that are currently used to hold up the Bimini.

The style boats themselves are great for fishing, or even just shuttling a lot of people / gear around. They are easy on gas and pop out of the water in seconds.
Even though they are shallow draft it is quite amazing how well they handle the rough stuff.
(You already know all this....)

For Kipawa a 17' might be a little small if a storm rolls in but in concept I, personally, think you're on the right track.
My thoughts, I'd move to a 19 - 22, still easy to trailer but a little more space for people / gear and a little more boat in the chop.