Looking for recommendation on where to fish for trip in two weeks

Started by OttawaPhil, May 04, 2016, 10:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttawaPhil

Quote from: Riverrat on May 09, 2016, 09:16:30 PM
I have fished the Laniel end for the last 40 years.  The Walleye don't move in to our end of the lake until early June.  The Lake Trout fishing is good.  After the 1st week of June the Laniel end is great for Walleye but you need to know the area

Since we start wednesday and walleye and pike dont open until saturday, I think we are leaning towards laniel start and camping near strawberry island. Then we can have good luck on the lakers hopefully. Opinions on this plan?  Looks like that way will not have any scary bay crossings, and hopefully the lake trout fishing is good there.

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Jay Thomas on May 05, 2016, 11:37:55 AM
If you haven't already, get a copy of the bathymetric maps for Lake Kipawa. I was going to post the web reference for them but when I visited the site this morning, there was a message that bathymetric maps are now under the purview of the Environment Department. I'm waiting for a response from Environment about how to access those bathymetric maps again. Sure hope they didn't dispose of that info.
Jay

I have heard back from the Department of the Environment in Quebec regarding accessibility to bathymetric maps. The maps are available at ftp://ftp.mddep.gouv.qc.ca/ 

Click on CEHQ
Then click on cartes bathymetriques
Then click on PDF

You just have to know the PDF file number to access the bathymetric map of the lake you want. Learning the PDF file number involves tedious searching, at least for now. My problem is that I do not know how to open dbf files. The Excel file (Index_2016_05_02.xlsx) provides lake names and PDF file numbers

I'm going to contact them again to learn how to find the PDF file number easier. In the meantime, the PDF file numbers for some lakes of interest are as follows:

Lake Kipawa            1162
Lac Sasseginaga     1193
Lac Pommeroy         1180
Lac Ogascanan        1175
Lac Ostabonique      1177
Lac Kikwissi              7204

Jay

Greg

Hi Jay... I just tried that web site and get an error message - can you confirm its the right URL please?

Thx.

wayne

Hey, Ottawa Phil, I agree with lima charley. Do not bring a 12 aluminum to this lake. Especially loaded with camping equipment. The surface temp right now is 39 degrees. There is still ice along the shore. You would not stand a chance if you went down. The wind has been out of the North West all weekend and the lake has had 2-3 footers. Even if there wasn't any wind the waves from another boat could swamp your boat. Not  to discourage your trip but, Get a bigger boat or find a smaller lake. After being here for 29 years this lake is unforgiving!!

Oarin

Wayne is right! a 12 footer is a REALLY bad idea on Kipawa. If you were to launch at Taggarts you would have Moose Bay to you left and Queens Bay to you right. Both are big and can be tough in a 16 footer on some days. I've been going to Taggarts for 18 years and I would never attempt those waters in a 12 foot boat. The weather changes quickly and getting to an area might be easy, but getting back, not so much. You might ask an outfitter about renting a boat. I don't know if they do that, but it's a much safer option if they will.  Good luck.

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Greg on May 16, 2016, 02:17:51 PM
Hi Jay... I just tried that web site and get an error message - can you confirm its the right URL please?

Thx.

Sorry Greg. I thought I was putting in the correct URL but obviously I wasn't. I have corrected my error.

Jay

OttawaPhil

Ok no big bays for sure and we are stuck where we are if any wind comes up. How about Laniel to strawberry island? Stay near shore and only fish if the wind is low? No bay crossings just stay
as close to shore as possible from launch to camp near strawberry island. Seems reasonable or still too much?

Fort Wisers

I'm gonna have to agree with the guys on this one....12 footer on Kipawa is a recipe for disaster.
We run a 22 footer and I kid you not Kipawa has gotten rough enough to push it around a bit.
Storms on this lake have a way of blowing up out of nothing and can bear down on you in a matter of minutes......

OttawaPhil

Ok we are going to start at Laniel. We are packed light. Going to head straight for strawberry island area and find a camp site. If waves come up we stop and wait wherever we are. Then we only fish in low winds. Same with leaving, only in good weather. If we have to leave early or late due to weather then no problem, better safe than sorry.

Fort Wisers

Head down the maniwaki, there are a number of smaller lakes that can be accessed by truck.
Just be sure to stay off the zec (unless you plan on registering at the zec office).
Sorry if we're all ruining your fun, but I don't think anyone on this board wants to see someone get stranded....or worse....

wayne

Hi Ottawa Phil. I suggest stopping at the zec office. They are very helpful and can point you in the right direction as to what lakes contain what species and camping locations.  They will show you a map of the area.It may cost you a few bucks to register and fish,but you will catch fish, good luck, have fun stay safe.

OttawaPhil

What is the name of the zec office you are recommending so I can look up the location and prices?

We thought we would be ok with Laniel to strawberry as forcast
looks like great weather and it's not far and don't have to cross any bays, but maybe we should look for another camping and fishing option.

OttawaPhil

Ok, you guys have scared us off for now.

We are going to go to a small lake in ontario for this time.

We will do kipawa later in the season when the weather warms up, and also when I finish rebuilding my 30hp on my 14' aluminum.

Will ask for tips again when we are ready to do sometime between july and september.

Thanks for the tips. Too bad we arent going now, but better safe than sorry.

Fort Wisers

Hey @OttawaPhil sorry if we took the wind out of your sails.

There is a Zec office at the corner of chemin be la baie kipawa and chemin manawaki.
When you're heading into Kipawa village chemin manawaki will be the road on your RH side just before you get into kipawa proper.
They can help you out in finding lakes (both on and off zec land).
There are a TON of small lakes in this area so if you're up for a little exploring this might be a good option for you.
As another option, try the many trails and roads off the 533 north of Mattawa, lots of small lakes here as well.
There is a lot of lakes off the VMUTS trails in that area too.

Good luck....

OttawaPhil

That's ok I appreciate you guys knowledge and info big time. Just sad our boat is too small to do the big lakes this time.
I will be there later when it warms up with my 14' and 30hp.