Where to fish and camp for trout, walleye, and pike first weekend of September?

Started by OttawaPhil, September 01, 2016, 01:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttawaPhil

Hello everyone thanks in advance for your help,

My friend and I are going to head to the kipawa area this Saturday morning until Monday evening. We will be in my 16x7' crestliner angler with 50hp motor pulled by FWD ford edge (no STEEP gravel boat launches).

We could launch at laniel, or kipawa.  We want to camp somewhere without lots of people. Looking for big trout, walleye, and pike. What would you guys recommend for locations to camp and fish?

Thanks!

TWO DAYS UNTIL WE LEAVE!  ;D

Riverrat

As mentioned b4 I don't think you can camp on the Crown Land anymore.  Some of Lake Kipawa at the Laniel end is part of the provincial park so you may not be able to camp there either.  As for the fishing all I can tell you is the smaller ones have started to school up in their fall spots.  The larger ones are hard to find.  Unfortunately I will not give out my honey holes as I am sure most wont do to the lack of responses.  Good Luck!

penner

Just curious about the camping. Where do the people on the canoe excursions camp if it's not allowed on crown land?

crunchie

As penner stated, if you can't camp on crown land, where do you camp?  I personally would not hesitate to camp on crown land and done it many times.  Wouldn't even think twice about it.
Keep your stick on the ice and your rod in the water

OttawaPhil

Ok, no one wants to suggest fishing spots, can someone suggest decent camping spots? Are the small islands around strawberry island good? Or around corbeau island?
I know there is crown land camping at kipawa, the sites on the islands wen I was there before are even marked with orange paint on the trees and have fire pits. Last time we stayed on an island in the first bay next to town of kipawa, would like to get a little more remote this time. Thanks for your help.

OttawaPhil

I have confirmed strawberry island is no good (it is a park).
So any camping spots to suggest? I dont mind just going and looking but was hoping to have sights in mind to leave a message with a friend that says we are planning to stay here or here or here in case something goes wrong and we do not return by monday night.  Maybe somewhere between corbeau island and strawberry island?

Greg

Hey OttawaPhil,

A few suggestions for you to investigate...

I checked my big laminated map and there are a few "little tent" signs in the area you are mentioning - in Denis Narrows (beside Corbeau), there is a camping area sign in a little inlet (by a large rock-wall) - I have seen the sign there for years as I lake trout troll in front of that rock face every trip (...hint hint).

Also, on Mackenzie Island (just keep going north after Corbeau about 15 (?) minutes, another camping spot is identified on the map - I am not to familiar with that area of the lake (...yet) so can't really comment.

As for fishing walleye - as previously mentioned, cooler night weather makes the walleye school up, my experience tells me if I was going fishing at this time there, to keep moving until you find them - note how deep you are catching & marking any fish - try jigging/drifting between 12 to 24 feet - find a spot where you catch more than 2 in a short time period and then work that spot (spiral pattern deeper/shallower depending on sun position).

I am jealous - never been to that area and never been to the lake at this time of year... have a great trip, looking forward to your trip report.

Greg
(...just east of Ottawa, in Orleans)

T-Bone

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

OttawaPhil

Thanks a lot Greg and T-Bone, we are all set for plans now.
I will post a trip report when we get back.
We will be there by 8 or 9 am tomorrow until monday evening.

OttawaPhil

We had a nice weekend, great weather, but not the best fishing...
My biggest fish was 5.75lb pike. All the walleye we caught were too small for the slot, and not a single trout despite trolling for over 24 hours total... at least the pike fishing was decent, but not amazing, just a bad time for fishing for some reason I guess... saw fish on the fish finder but couldn't get many to bite.

Fort Wisers

Quote from: OttawaPhil on September 06, 2016, 07:39:07 AM
We had a nice weekend, great weather, but not the best fishing...
My biggest fish was 5.75lb pike. All the walleye we caught were too small for the slot, and not a single trout despite trolling for over 24 hours total... at least the pike fishing was decent, but not amazing, just a bad time for fishing for some reason I guess... saw fish on the fish finder but couldn't get many to bite.

Glad you had a great trip!
The weather was indeed gorgeous....
Take care

Canuckbass

Did you try jigging for lakers? With a spoon or tube jig works best. I hate trolling and prefer to jig them. Lots of walleye in that area, just have to keep moving till you find an active school. I was lucky a few weeks ago and caught my limit of keepers first day.
We'll be up on the island in a couple weeks to close up for the season, busy fall for everyone this year.