BassPro + Cabelas = merger!! no way, didn't expect that...

Started by Greg, October 03, 2016, 02:14:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuckbass

This has been worked on for a while, it was leaked less then a year ago they were gonna buy them. Scary for sure!

puckster_guy

competition goes down...prices go up, the new world order
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

RHYBAK

Things will be O.K. here in CANADA as long as they don't buy SAIL.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Fort Wisers

T-Bone

It's either get together and protect the brick-n-mortar stores or curl-up into a ball and let Amazon kill you over time.

This isn't surprising...will likely see more of it in the future across stores like REI, Field & Steam...etc. And I wouldn't worry too much about decreased competition equals higher prices; they can only charge what the market will accept. It's not like they sell anything so "exclusive" to either brand that you can't find an alternative to their private-labeled products under a different brand (probably the same manufacturer after all).

And anyway...I have more tackle than I could ever possibly use. Not like I need to start investing in more tackle anytime soon...

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on October 04, 2016, 10:06:01 AM
It's either get together and protect the brick-n-mortar stores or curl-up into a ball and let Amazon kill you over time.

This isn't surprising...will likely see more of it in the future across stores like REI, Field & Steam...etc. And I wouldn't worry too much about decreased competition equals higher prices; they can only charge what the market will accept. It's not like they sell anything so "exclusive" to either brand that you can't find an alternative to their private-labeled products under a different brand (probably the same manufacturer after all).

And anyway...I have more tackle than I could ever possibly use. Not like I need to start investing in more tackle anytime soon...

My thoughts exactly.
I have soooooooo much stuff now in my life that I don't care who closes or who buys each other out anymore.
Terminal tackle can be bought anywhere as required.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

fishtildark

T_Bone and Rybak
You both echo my own thoughts about so much tackle...for the last couple years all I could muster in an order was new line and a couple miscellaneous items.  And this is probably one reason for the merger...not as many young hunters and fishermen to outfit and the old guys have too much stuff = low sales.
I do believe I may need to buy one of the Cabelas spinning combos before they quit making them.
So many lures and so little time.

T-Bone

Quote from: fishtildark on October 04, 2016, 01:40:11 PM
I do believe I may need to buy one of the Cabelas spinning combos before they quit making them.

Probably no need to rush; what's labeled Cabela's today will be available tomorrow as the new Whatever Series by Quantum...or WhizzBang Series by Pfleuger...just a different paint job.

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Fort Wisers

Definitely a lot of truth to what you guys are saying...in a few years we'll just order online from our phones while sitting in a boat on the lake and a drone will fly it to us in a couple of hours.
Mind you, if a drone flies over our house, I consider it trespassing and it will be shot...unless it's carrying some hunting or fishing trinkets!

SgtCrabby

When I first heard of the merger, my initial thought was about warranty service on my boat that I bought from Cabelas. BassPro has their own boat line in the same market class.
I was told by personnel at both:  +@ no worry because they expect to keep operating both brands and stores. At least for several years.
I have both;  Cabelas 5 miles and Bass Pro 15 miles away with a divided highway from one to the other.