Everything old is new again...

Started by T-Bone, April 02, 2019, 01:25:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

Funny...ever since booking the late-May excursion up to Alwaki I've been recording any fishing TV show that commonly profiles walleye, pike, etc. First observation...dang, there are a lot of really great lakes out there, some really cool boats, and some really nice fishing gear to be had if you so incline to purchase. Second observation...there is little "new" in terms of bait/rigging techniques to catch those pesky 'eyes. Of course, common to our tactics up on Kipawa these guys and gals fish bottom bouncers with cranks or harness, jigs w/ live bait and plastics, troll Hot-n-Tots, etc. The newest thing I've seen that I'd call a walleye target "trend" are Jiggin' Raps...basically an ice fishing jig fished fast drifting or slow-trolling and just off the bottom. I've got it all and will certainly give them a try.

Last week, Al Lindner profiled and "old" lure that was left behind by the "advance" of jigs rigged with plastics and/or live bait...the 'ol bucktail jig. I was watching the show with Mattie and I said, "I have a boxload of those somewhere around here." And why not...we'll take them up to Kipawa and give them a try. Al and his boat partner were certainly jigging up some nice 'eyes with them.

So, I present this question; what you going to try "new" this year? What are you going to resurrect from yesteryear to give it a try again?  Or are you just going to stay with the proven...what worked last year? And if you don't mind reiterating, what is your go to lure and presentation? For giggles, in addition to the bucktail jig, I'm going to pull out the 'ol June Bug Spinner this year. Deadly on Pigeon Lake back in the mid-70s.  ;D
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

limacharley

I'd rather carve my eyes out with a fork than watch a fishing show but nevertheless, I'm going to try some bottom bouncing with either cranks or worm harnesses this year....especially the first part of the season. I may attempt the slip bobber technique again too. After that, its back to a jig and a leech for most of the summer.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Kyle Skelding

Jig and leech is #1 and used probably 90% of the time. Last year was the first year I tried the slip-bobber, and it was awesome! throwing it to 8-10' of water and watching the bobber disappear was a lot of fun. I even bought a new 8'6'' rod for bobber setup. Outdoor Canada magazine recently had an article featuring a drop shot rig with swim baits for walleye, might give that a try this year. I did try snap jigging with ice raps last year and found they got hung up a lot with how rocky the bottom of the lake is near Alwaki, if you're fishing sandy areas they might be more effective. We troll very little, once we find the fish we'll setup shop and jig. Can't beat a jig bite!

Greg

1) Similar to LimaCharley, bottom bouncing and worm harnesses - I always bring them but never seem to take the time to rig them up... I need to change that.

2) I really liked slip bobbering last year - first time I tried it and enjoyed it - I bought a new really soft and whippy 8 foot rod just for that purpose also!

3) Jigging rap - bought a few over the winter myself... need to try that out!

And to answer T-Bone's question - the old faithful - trolling with a crank- bait - anything chrome always seems to get some pike and walleye action!

Greg

puckster_guy

I went from a hard core trolling to 50-50 with a jig and worm. Now I gotta learn bottom bouncers. Still technically a troll but a new style to learn. TG for utube. I just gotta remember to put in the old plug....
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

RoK

Go to presentation = jig with leeches
new this year = hot n tots, never used them before, bought 2 last weekend.

But like every year, I take a huge tackle box up and  almost never touch anything but jigs and leeches. its hard to try something new when you are constantly catching walleye, and when I do change it up and the guys with me still catching more with jigs, I usually switch back. But I'll give them a try.... I think. yes, yes I will. plan to anyways.
Cheers, Ron

NortonJoe

I swear every year I'm gonna do the slip bobber thing...even bought all the stuff...then never do.  This year I'm gonna do it.  The go to tackle is always the same for me: trolling with Hot n Tots for walleye and the stray pike, jigging with hot pink jigs and a worm for walleye and casting any flashy silver spoon for pike.  We target walleye in the morning and evening and go for pike on those hot, sunny afternoons.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

johnny walleye

EVERY YEAR I HAVE A NEW PLAN ,THIS YEAR IT WILL BE THE NORTHLAND INPULS MINNOW JIG.THE BIG QUSESTION WILL I PUT IN THE TIME TO DO IT RIGHT ON GO BACK TO MY OLD WAYS.

reelpro

Try Cabelas 5" go to swim minnow with the paddle tail

Shad colour silver black or blue ice

Thread them onto a 3/8 oz jig any color as long as its chartruese - paddle tail facing down - cast out let it sink to bottom and hop back to boat if there is a bass, walleye or pike in the area you will catch them
fairly durable bait usually get about 10-12 walleye or bass per bait - pike can tear them up

GL MIKE