Mid September walleyes

Started by Oarin, July 05, 2020, 11:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oarin

I moved our July trip to August, but it looks like that may be a no go also. I've asked Yves to move us to mid September if August is out. I've never fished Kipawa that late in the year. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

Jay Thomas

Hi Gary,

It would not surprise me at all if the border were kept closed many more months.

The 6 trips our group did in the Abitibi/Témiscaming region during Sep were as follows:

8-15 Sep 2007
13-20 Sep 2009
22-29 Sep 2012
7-14 Sep 2013
8-16 Sep 2015
6-13 Sep 2017

There are a few things that are noteworthy about fishing in Sep. Although walleyes are walleyes and can found at any depth, our observations for Sep fishing was that walleyes were typically found in deeper water (38 FOW was the maximum that we observed). You can't buy leeches that late in the season so crawlers are your only live bait. While we enjoyed some beautiful fishing days weather wise on those trips, we also endured some cold, wet and windy days. Occasionally, we were cabin bound because the winds produced waves in excess of 4 feet. Ensure you have appropriate clothing with you to satisfy all possibilities. The walleye still bit and they still tasted fabulous. With respect to methodology, my preference has always been bottom bouncing. I only jig when I find pods of 6-10 walleye.

Jay

Oarin

RHYBAK

Hi Oarin
Steve and I have been going to Kipawa the first week of September the past few years and we had been catching them 22-28 feet deep.

You will be hard pressed finding leeches at that time but no worries. Worms do great in September.1/8 ounce jig heads , bouncing bottom

Find the schools and have fun.
No suspended fish at that time.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Oarin

Greg

Good thread - I also have a trip in 3rd week of September and was wondering the same question.  Thanks for the info.

Greg

Schneve

I was up last year late Sept./early Oct. and it was floater suit weather every day.  The water was down quite a bit, we used deep divers and trolled, I only caught walleye but my friend caught a couple nice bass along with a small lake trout.  The walleye fishing was better than I thought it would be. 

GregL

Quote from: Schneve on July 06, 2020, 07:52:42 PM
I was up last year late Sept./early Oct. and it was floater suit weather every day.  The water was down quite a bit, we used deep divers and trolled, I only caught walleye but my friend caught a couple nice bass along with a small lake trout.  The walleye fishing was better than I thought it would be.

I may be crazy but that is my favorite conditions to fish, I could skip the heat of summer all together LOL!

Hodgey1

I have three early September trips under my belt. Two of the three years, the weather could not have been nicer, last years weather was more challenging and much cooler than first two. We still had some decent weather, but like others mentioned, come prepared for some cool if not cold potentially stormy weather.

The fishing I have found in September, isn't that far different from when I have been going in July. The walleye are a bit deeper, but are still plenty hungry. My wife and I both prefer leeches, but September the crawlers work fine. The exception is "I'm not sure if other have this experience" but most mornings we've fished in September seem much slower than in July? Could just be us, but I found it hard to get up early to fish mediocre catch rates in the mornings.

It also could have been the cold air in the mornings that was making it difficult to get up also? LOL.  The other potential factor is July's trip is with the boys and very fish centric, my September trip is with my wife and we definitely relax a lot more and not as much about the fishing. We fish plenty, since my wife has become hooked! The other problem is @GregL keeps us out too late having cocktails with he and his posse. LOL  8)  Lots of fun and good times!

I am really hoping that this September will happen............ I truly feel like a part of me is missing without some time on the waters of Kipawa. All of this Covid crap-ola is killing me.  :-[
Walleye Rock!

GregL

I hear ya! Those late cocktails do make the morning harder LOL!

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 13, 2020, 12:46:33 PM
I have three early September trips under my belt. Two of the three years, the weather could not have been nicer, last years weather was more challenging and much cooler than first two. We still had some decent weather, but like others mentioned, come prepared for some cool if not cold potentially stormy weather.

The fishing I have found in September, isn't that far different from when I have been going in July. The walleye are a bit deeper, but are still plenty hungry. My wife and I both prefer leeches, but September the crawlers work fine. The exception is "I'm not sure if other have this experience" but most mornings we've fished in September seem much slower than in July? Could just be us, but I found it hard to get up early to fish mediocre catch rates in the mornings.

It also could have been the cold air in the mornings that was making it difficult to get up also? LOL.  The other potential factor is July's trip is with the boys and very fish centric, my September trip is with my wife and we definitely relax a lot more and not as much about the fishing. We fish plenty, since my wife has become hooked! The other problem is @GregL keeps us out too late having cocktails with he and his posse. LOL  8)  Lots of fun and good times!

I am really hoping that this September will happen............ I truly feel like a part of me is missing without some time on the waters of Kipawa. All of this Covid crap-ola is killing me.  :-[

Hodgey1

Not sure what I'm going to do if September gets canceled also? @GregL , we've now spent at least a couple of weeks together, couldn't we be considered family?  ??? ;D
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

I really think September will not be in the future for you this year
It is not looking good.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Rich

our fall trips are not as productive as our spring trips on Grindstone, still have decent days just not as good. Lots of catfish last couple years. we have been told several times the fall fishing is much better further up the lake.

puckster_guy

In my neck of the woods (Redpine) I find fishing gets better as summer progresses into fall.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Kyle Skelding

First of all thanks for all the September advice from the group! Our trip was cancelled for June and now scheduled for September 19th. I'm glad I found this thread because I had no idea leaches wouldn't be available this time of year.  Does anyone have preference for worms, regular dew, or the green dew worms? I'm leaning towards natural colour. Thanks guys and hope you're able to hit the water wherever you can.