Looking for some creative input

Started by GregL, June 03, 2021, 02:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ozzy30

Well hope allwill work out for you.  I haven't done much so far but I will start this Saturday, then next weekend away fishing the 2 weeks after at Alwaki.  My boat will start getting a workout for sure.  I have to be careful with it this summer since it's technically traded in in September.

GregL

Quote from: RHYBAK on June 10, 2021, 02:10:01 PM
Greg

Try looking on line at McMaster -Carr

Have you ordered from this place before? I've seen the name just never ordered from them. Are they fairly quick shipping?

smitty55

Quote from: GregL on June 10, 2021, 02:32:50 PM
Greg

Have you ordered from this place before? I've seen the name just never ordered from them. Are they fairly quick shipping?
Greg I was a tech for many years in an airline instrument and aviation shop. As techs when we needed anything to do our jobs all we had to do was fill out a parts request form and give it to the boss. The McMaster-Carr catalogue was close to 4" thick and definitely the most used of all the different ones we had in the shop. It was way over a thousand pages, closer to 1500 even.  Mostly a Milspec world when it comes to hardware so quality is vital. Pretty sure we got our "Plastic" grommet material in strips that could be cut to length to be used in test equipment as it was built for example. It was great for rectangular cutouts in sheet metal and still fine for larger round holes. For smaller holes actual rubber grommets are best of course.
Who knows about shipping anymore these days. As I think back, and as a larger customer of course, if we had to wait for a week that was a long time, but if the req could be added to the next delivery order it could be 2-3 days too. So have fun with that website. Never been there, but I sure have spent plenty of time wandering through the latest hard copy of MacMC over the years. Cheers

GregL

Quote from: Ozzy30 on June 10, 2021, 02:26:57 PM
Well hope allwill work out for you.  I haven't done much so far but I will start this Saturday, then next weekend away fishing the 2 weeks after at Alwaki.  My boat will start getting a workout for sure.  I have to be careful with it this summer since it's technically traded in in September.

Oh..traded eh.. what ya getting next?

2 weeks at Alwaki.. that would be awesome!!!

GregL

Quote from: smitty55 on June 11, 2021, 02:03:20 AM
Quote from: GregL on June 10, 2021, 02:32:50 PM
Greg

Greg I was a tech for many years in an airline instrument and aviation shop. As techs when we needed anything to do our jobs all we had to do was fill out a parts request form and give it to the boss. The McMaster-Carr catalogue was close to 4" thick and definitely the most used of all the different ones we had in the shop. It was way over a thousand pages, closer to 1500 even.  Mostly a Milspec world when it comes to hardware so quality is vital. Pretty sure we got our "Plastic" grommet material in strips that could be cut to length to be used in test equipment as it was built for example. It was great for rectangular cutouts in sheet metal and still fine for larger round holes. For smaller holes actual rubber grommets are best of course.
Who knows about shipping anymore these days. As I think back, and as a larger customer of course, if we had to wait for a week that was a long time, but if the req could be added to the next delivery order it could be 2-3 days too. So have fun with that website. Never been there, but I sure have spent plenty of time wandering through the latest hard copy of MacMC over the years. Cheers

Looks like they are in the states but they sure have EVERYTHING!!

GregL

PROGRESS!!! I finally got it mounted into the boat. I designed the mounting so that I can remove it with very little changes to the boat to revert back to a port console if we decide we don't like it.
So the dimensions match the pre-existing screws in the floor so no extra holes.

Ran into a small issue while mounting, I did not account for the thickness of both carpets between the rod locker and console.. I had to get the wife to push it in with her feet
while I struggled to get the 2 floor screws back in but we got it!

Front View: The graphs look high but they are only at my shoulder height when sitting in the drivers seat :)

Back View: I don't really like the look of this door, but it was cheap on amazon! LOL!

Greg

That seriously looks factory or better.... nice craftsmanship Greg!

Ozzy30

Definitely looks good.  Way to go.

GregL

Thanks guys, these kinds of projects are so fun!

I can't wait to wire this bad boy up!

hinorth

limacharley

Quote from: GregL on June 10, 2021, 09:51:41 AM
I haven't finished the installation because I have been trying to find some appropriate grommets for running the wires through the various aluminum walls I need pass through.

I've ordered a few cheap grommet packs through amazon, they work great for single walls but I have a few places that are double walls.

Also, I want to protect my graph wires passing through the aluminum top. I'm using those little rectangle wire covers which don't provide protection for the edge of the hole.

I think I found the perfect solution!

It is called Sugru and Canadian Tire sells it! The search is over! I can finish this project now haha!

"Apart from being user-friendly, Sugru is waterproof, weather-proof, saltwater resistant, fade resistant and dishwasher-safe. It has a thermal insulating quality with a service temperature ranging from -60 to 180°C (-140 to 356°F)"

I second McMaster Carr. They have everything and I mean everything. Their catalogue is like 4000 pages.
Out of Cleveland....bout the only good thing outta Cleveland hahaha!
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T-Bone

I’m from Cleveland. And clearly you haven’t been there in a very long time.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once