June 12-15 Boys trip

Started by WillageD, June 16, 2018, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WillageD

Hey, just got back from my annual boys trip up to my family's cottage on Kipawa. The trip was 2 boats and 6 anglers, my dad and his three buddies in his boat, and myself and my buddy in my boat. My Dad and his buddies typically do a trip mid June, and I usually do a guys trip in late August or early September... however this year I am expecting a new addition to my clan at the end of August so my buddy and I decided to join in on the June trip instead of miss doing a trip altogether. This report will mostly focus on my boat as I don't have specific details on my dads boat.

My buddy and I arrived on the 12th, as he had to work that day.. we left as soon as he got off of work, after stopping for beer and licenses were launching the boat by 830. When we launched the Quebec ministry was at the dock stocking the lake.. my buddy struck up a conversation with the employee as my buddy spent some time working for the MNR hatcheries in Ontario. The ministry worker told us they were stocking 50,000 lake trout that day, and another 60,000 the next day... yes that's 110,000 LAKE TROUT!!!! No wonder the fishing is soooo good for them!! Anyways, back to the trip.. because we got in late we decided to just fish locally as our camp is in the Lac Green/Town of Kipawa area.. typically the walleye haven't made it down to that end of the lake by this point in the season, but due to our storage of sunlight we decided to give it a try anyways- our knowledge was correct as we each landed only 1 walleye.. both a monsterous 8". Luckily for us, when we returned to the cabin my dad and his buddies had returned from up the lake and had 6 eater walleyed in the well so we still got to enjoy a Kipawa fish fry our first night.

Day 2 was calling for some stormy weather and unfortunately the weather man was correct for a change. We made it out for about 2 hours in morning landing 6 lakers before lightning chased us off the water. We trolling spoons and body baits about 40ft down over deep water (60-150ft). My buddy used lead core and a dipsy for myself. After lunch and ceasers the storm somewhat blew over (atleast the lightening) so we went for another lake trout troll, landing 4 more, including a trip biggest 28"er. We returned to camp for a quick dinner then up the lake to Sunnyside for a walleye jig. Unfortunately for us the wind had really picked up and the lake was the lumpiest I've ever seen it in the 5 years I've been going up... what should have been a 20 minute boat ride, turned into 45 minutes and EXTREMELY wet (and very close to what I would consider unsafe). This was my first venture up to that area of the lake so I didn't really know of where to fish, and the weather was really hampering our ability to explore.. we only landed 5 walleye, none of which were keepers (in the slot). Dads boat was about to muster up another 3 or 4 keepers for a fry that night. Through the evening fish we were optimistic the wind would lay down a little, however it did not... it actually got worse... our ride back to camp in my 16.5' aluminum is difficult to explain- but think "Deadliest Catch"... haha.. we arrived back to camp wet and grumpy....nothing a couple Bleue couldn't fix though!

Day 3 the high winds continued to linger.. the high winds from the night before had our tails between our legs so we enjoyed a nice sleep in followed by an excellent camp breakfast. At about 10am we finally got out for another laker troll- boat control was an absolute chore with the high winds, but the work paid off landing another 10 lakers in about 3 hours of troll time. We returned to camp for a late lunch and as we were eating the fish gods smiled down at us.. the wind died down and the sky cleared. Perfect conditions for a trip up the lake to Sunnyside and a walleye jig. And what a jig it was!! Between my buddy and I we landed 35 walleye that night, with all but 2 or 3 being beautiful 18/19" fish. We each kept our limit that night to have some fish to take home and were two happy fishermen on the ride home under a beautiful orange Kipawa sunset. That boat ride home, especially in contrast to the previous night, is what Kipawa is all about- fish in the live well, great company, and breath taking scenery. When we returned to the cabin, my dads group they reported doing just as well in their location, lots of fish to keep everyone happy, although not the jackpot of keeper size fish we had found.

Day 4 was a short one as my wife had gotten her and I concert tickets for that night so I had to be onroute for home early in the day. My buddy and I got out for one short morning laker troll- landing 1 laker and losing what was easily the biggest lake trout of the trip. Like they always say- that's why those ones are big fish, they get away.

All in all a great trip was had by all involved. Looking forward to getting back up there Canada Day weekend with the family.

Oarin

Nice report Willage. My friend, Capt. Guy, always said the weather can trump everything. Glad the storms and winds calmed and you did well. Less than a month to go for my son and me.  Oarin

bucknbull

Weather didn't co-operate, but sounds like a great trip anyway.
Thanks for the report.

BigChief

@WillageD great report and sounds like a great time other than weather. What depth were catching the walleye at?

Fort Wisers

Great report @WillageD.
Thanks for sharing the adventure!

T-Bone

Nice report....thanks for taking the time to post. I'm assuming your cabin is somewhere down near Kipawa. I can relate to the "Deadliest Catch" reference; made a run from there through the Sunnyside area before in big rollers and wind...thought I was going to die that day...still can't believe we didn't.

Nice to hear you nailed them over at Sunnyside...always a good spot that time of year. Nice work on the lakers too.

Thanks again for posting...

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

WillageD

Thanks for the feedback all.

BigChief- On our big night we were catching the walleye on a steep slope ranging from 8-35ft... catching fish in all depths, but the money spot seemed to be right around 20-22.

T-Bone- Yeah it was pretty wild Tuesday night. I was almost feeling as if I never wanted to venture up the lake again after that ride and lackluster results.... the next nights experience changed my feelings in a hurry! haha

limacharley

Hi Willage

Great report...

Is your camp on Bronson Island or in the Hogs Back? Just curious if you can drive to your camp as Windy lake road washed out this spring and I'm trying to contact a "government official" to fix the washout...After all we pay taxes!
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

Thanks for the repot WIllage and glad your trip went well!
Walleye Rock!

WillageD

Quote from: limacharley on June 19, 2018, 11:08:28 AM
Hi Willage

Great report...

Is your camp on Bronson Island or in the Hogs Back? Just curious if you can drive to your camp as Windy lake road washed out this spring and I'm trying to contact a "government official" to fix the washout...After all we pay taxes!

No, we are on Coe's Island. Its the camp on the island just out from the town launch.

limacharley

Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

puckster_guy

I wonder if they stock lakers at my end of the lake? I know we could use a few.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

WillageD

Quote from: puckster_guy on June 20, 2018, 05:47:12 PM
I wonder if they stock lakers at my end of the lake? I know we could use a few.

They were moving the fish from the truck, onto a tank on a boat and taking them to different areas of the lake. So its not as if they all got dumped at the boat launch and that was it. It did appear they were spreading them out, hard to say how far they actual went for each dropping. Red Pine is a distance by boat for sure!

puckster_guy

Ya I agree Willage, it an hour and change at 20 mph. Either way It's great they're stocking the lake. I made the trip once out of curiosity. It was an interesting trip seeing the different lodges on the way and landmarks you guys talk of.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)