Alwaki trip report - July 16 to 22nd

Started by Greg, July 30, 2022, 09:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

A quick trip report, a week late, but better late than never.

First off, Capt' Crappie's trip report is an unbelievable great read - I wish I knew he was at 3 seasons, I was thinking of running up for a visit (more on that later) and would have loved to meet him and Brennan.

Myself, my son Justin and our buddy Nick have been planning the trip since last year's trip ended.  We left Nicks house at 6am and a Tim Horton's stop in Arnprior, then Canadian Tire in deep river, then the IGA then right to the dock for launching.

The first event of the trip... our first catch... before deep river, a baby wild turkey decided to cross the road, unfortunately met with the grill of my jeep - it knocked part of the grill out into the radiator, but no damage.  We stopped at the Deep River Canadian Tire and Justin put on some gloves, pulled his body out of the grill (skinning him in the process unfortunately) and then we were able to just snap the grill piece back into place - no damage. No harm. 

The weather.. yep hot... and slowed the fishing down for sure, yep... same experience as Capt Crappie.   I've been to Kipawa before when it's hot, and swam a dozen times a day to cool off, yep this is one of those times.  The lake is so beautiful on those hot calm nights and the sun is setting...ahhh, I wish I was back there right now.

We met Ozzy on day 1 and his family - great to meet you Ozzy.  We also visited Ozzy's cottage the next afternoon before laker trolling in Hunters - beautiful spot!  Before laker trolling, we stopped at Kipawa lodge to say hi to Wayne... I spoke with Wayne once before at a fishing show in Toronto about a decade ago (probably more).  We have driven past their lodge before but never stopped - nice place Wayne!

The fishing slowed down for sure, but we still caught some and had a fish fry.  We fished our regular spots and a few new ones.   I had the good fortune of catching my largest ever walleye also - a 28.5 inch big thick back, wow that was fun.  But even better, I got a 2nd large walleye casting a spinner bait in Kelly's bay - a big (thicker body) 26 inch walleye attacked the spinner after a long cast, great fight and getting in the net was fun (I was alone in the boat - I went out alone 3 mornings as the younger guys needed their beauty sleep).

No pike... first time in a long time, none of us caught a pike.  Only a few bass also and the rest were walleye.

We jigged, we trolled, we casted, I used a slip bobber frequently, all a good mix to try different things and different places, unfortunately the weather really affected the fishing so it didn't really give me a good read... I didn't care - it was about not thinking of work and just relaxing and boating around.  It was hot (like felt like high 30's and humid) from Saturday to Wednesday then a storm and rain blew in - which was welcome.  Watching storms at Alwaki is always fun - I've been there for a few HUGE storms, this was probably 3rd or 4th on the all-time list.

Lake trolling... slow also... about 18 hours in total at 2 of my usual spots and 1 new spot... only produced 3 lakers (2 of them were over 25 inches, but just short of the keeper line).

Meals... we like to do it right and have a nice breakfast and a big dinner every day... we ate like kings - gourmet burgers, fettuccini alfredo with veggies and sausage medallions, chicken breasts, lasagna, etc.  No shortage of food!

Lost to the lake... as always, the wind, carelessness, accidents happen, etc.... 1 hat, 1 broken rod, 1 gang troll and 1 chrome lure. LOL, its not a trip until something is lost overboard.

What was brutal (besides the heat?)... the flies in the boat biting your ankles... crazy brutal... wow... ankles, feet, toes, shins, I came back looking like I had the measles below my knees.

As many have discussed, Alwaki is for sale and not sure of next year's plans yet - to be figured out soon (...I think of it every time I check my lottery tickets).  Alwaki... as usual, in good shape, we were in Cabin 6, the boat-house, our favorite cottage and it is very well equipped.  Brian and Tina were back home, so it was nice to see Roy (stepping in to run the place) again after a few years away.  We have friends in the two cabins closest to us this same week, so it was good to see them again and hang out with them for a drink throughout the week.

I am scheduled to go back for a long weekend in early September with my buddy Don - who has been there before but its been several years - 5 weeks this morning we leave!  Time to start planning (again)... :)

TBIRD

Jay Thomas

Thanks for sharing your report Greg. Three of us depart Ottawa 8 Sep for a week in ZEC Kipawa. Tight lines.

Jay

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hodgey1

Great report Greg. Nice 28.5 ! Sounds like a great time, loved the comment about the young’ins! Lol good for you for trekking  out on your own!
Walleye Rock!