CVL May 27 to June 3, 2023

Started by Kill Switch, June 05, 2023, 03:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kill Switch

Hi everyone,
Well, someone on the Forum can say "I told you so.."...lol
There was a post about early season fishing on Kipawa and how it can be hit or miss. It was definitely a massive miss for us on the north end of the lake.
I can't believe how hot it was. Day time temps were anywhere from 86 to 90 degrees. Not a single cloud for four days. The lake, for the most part, was a sheet of glass, no wind.
On Saturday water temps were ranging between 55-60 degrees. By Tuesday we had spots that were 70 degrees.
Meanwhile while digging post holes, Neno(CVL owner) was hitting ice only 10 inches down, but melting in a hurry.
Needless to say we did not catch many fish. Oh we tried everything and everywhere and at every depth. Sanctuary mouth, hidden lake, Moose, Smith, rivers, islands etc. All styles, jig, slip bobber, hot n tots, bombers, trolling etc.
Our group of four caught 3 walleye and a handful of pike. Bass are really showing up at this end. Massive ones at that.
No one at the camp was catching much.
I will spare you of recounting each day as they were all the same. Honestly I can't remember such crazy heat. In fact it managed to wake up the black flies on the Monday.
Best thing we caught were farmer tans...lol At least be had plenty of beer to stay cool along with some Rye and some Elijah Wood small batch.
The beauty of the lake remains unchanged.
Cabins at CVL were tip top. Lots of work has gone into the place. Glad to see outfitters are filled up.
Oh, no fires allowed. Place is bone dry. I hope some rain gets there soon.
Heading back August 19th. I suspect the fishing will be a tad better by then.

Tight lines for everyone else heading up over the summer.

Cheers
Patrick

RHYBAK

Wow
That's tough.
Sorry to hear about the poor fishing. Sounds like you were in the right spots, doing the right things.
Maybe I should be thankful the police have shut down the roads and not letting us in this weekend.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Hodgey1

Hey Patrick, sorry to hear the fishing was disappointing. Hope August brings you better luck. Thanks for the first trip report of the year!
Walleye Rock!

Kill Switch

Quote from: RHYBAK on June 06, 2023, 10:06:52 AM
Wow
That's tough.
Sorry to hear about the poor fishing. Sounds like you were in the right spots, doing the right things.
Maybe I should be thankful the police have shut down the roads and not letting us in this weekend.

Did you lose your trip? Hopefully you can rebook.

RHYBAK

I lost my weekend trip only. Not worried about rebooking that one.
Uncontrollable circumstances.

It's the June 23 trip that I'm worried about but with this rain coming, I'm feeling confident that it will be a go.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle