Bush Country Camp June 3-9

Started by fishtildark, June 13, 2023, 08:52:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishtildark

As I write this trip report I understand that a number of people had their plans ruined by the wild fires. I feel for you and this is not to rub salt in .the wounds. Basically , we lucked out for almost a week. Arrived at BCC on Saturday, june 3 after an uneventful trip. , which is good. It wasnt long after we got settled in that Norm told us that we were some of the last to get in to the bush and the roads were going to be closed to anyone entering. Also we were to have no fires , no wood stove etc , and could be required to leave at any time. That made us get going and do some fishing. Started slow on Saturday night with the usual walleye haunt yielding only  one walleye and one small pike. we left for the main lake and a spot we had found a few years ago and immediately started catching fish.I believe the 70 degree surface temp in Pickerel bay had caused many of them to leave for deeper water earlier than usual. for the reset of the short week we trolled the main lake and did very well in the morning and evening outings. Had several walleye over the 21 inch slot with the largest being 28 inches and 9 ish lbs.Caught nearly a dozen pike of all sizes with the largest being a 38 inch bruiser. only caught 1 trout but it was a 28 inch 10 lb beauty. ON Thursday Norm came to deliver the bad news that the local outfitters decided it was time, after consult with the authorities, to get out .Left a day early but had a really good week fishing. Catching all different age classes of both walleye and pike indicates the population is healthy and should provide quality fishing for years.
The camp is in great shape as are the boats and motors. As always , Norm and Guy took good care of us , adding the extra duty of keeping us abreast of the fire situation. we understand the fires were not the biggest immediate issue , but instead the possibility of dangerous levels of smoke . We saw and smelled it a few times but had decided to follow Norms lead on when to leave.
looking forward to September .
So many lures and so little time.

RHYBAK

Thanks for the report. At least you were able to get in 92% of your scheduled trip.
Nice to hear you had some fun catching fish.
I'm really looking for ward to June 23. ( my first trip)

I was supposed to go June 9 but that got cancelled due to the situation.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Chazz

Thanks for the report.  Glad to hear you were able to get most of your trip in.  Sounds like you got some really nice size fish in all categories.  Me and two buddies headed to Sasseginaga week of the 15th.  Staying in cabin 6. 

Hodgey1

Hey Sam, sound like an eventful trip, filled with some nice fish. Glad you were able to get most of the trip in.
Walleye Rock!