Dumoine trip June 22, 2023

Started by Jig and drift, July 04, 2023, 07:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jig and drift

So another trip to Dumoine has come and gone. The drive up was as smooth as it has ever been. The roads into the bush, although a little rough, where fine. The deeper you go on the Bearn after Red Pine its pretty rough. The fishing was slow the first couple days. Tried everywhere and everything but just not feeding. The Smoke rolled in on the afternoon of the second day and man was it thick. Then things started to pick up. It rained the morning of day four and the fish really turned on. We trolled, jigged and used erie dearies and caught fish on all three. Jigging really turned on and we were catching fish in 8-15 ft of water. In the end there was plenty to eat and size was good across the board. We also caught more Northern than we had in a long time but they are always fun. Cabin 4 was in good shape, no issues at all and new 15 hp Yamahas on the boats ran great. I believe this was my 28 th trip to Dumoine. Would be 30 but a couple years off for covid messed that up. Anyways it was a great trip. We love the lake and have never had bad results. The drive home was smooth, although it rained all the way to Ft. Erie. Best and shortest border crossing ever this year. 4 gates open and one had zero cars in it. 3 minutes later we were on our way. Unbelievable.

Chazz

Thanks Jig and Drift for the report.  Me and two buddies, one from Avon Lake and the other from Olmsted Falls headed up to Sasseginaga the 15th.  Can't wait. hoping the fires are a bit more under control by then.   

BH

Thanks for sharing and glad to hear that the border experience was smooth.  Never fished Dumoine, but sounds like the walleye didn't transition to deeper water yet.
Love fishing

Jay Thomas

Thanks for your trip report.

Jay

Jig and drift

To the local guys heading up good luck.  The Manawaki road needs graded as PG stated a while back and the same for the Red Pine. Neither was horrible.  Dumoine is a very dark water lake and 15 ft seemed to be the magic number. Surface temp was 72 - 76 most days but the rain turned them on.   Safe travels to all and good fishing.

Hodgey1

Great report J& Drift, sorry your streak was screwed up by Covid. 28 years is impressive
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Thanks for report Jig & Drift...

I've always been a bit intrigued by Dumoine...but the required "trip in" is what always put the scale in favor of Kipawa. I recall seeing a documentary where there are the remains of a large old logging camp nearer the south end of Dumoine...pretty cool site...lots of buildings and equipment still there. That was 20 years ago though.

Thx again...
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

NortonJoe

Great report! We looked at Dumoine when we had doubts about Watson continuing. Two days till we leave, cannot wait!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jig and drift

Only a little farther down the road Joe.  Have a great trip.