Where are the Walleye Sanctuaries?

Started by T-Bone, March 20, 2019, 11:39:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

I found a topic from this board from 2015 where we discussed this and Jay provided an excerpt of "where" the walleye sanctuaries are around Lake Kipawa. Other than that, this information is fairly elusive. And in that information I found only one sanctuary anywhere near where we fish...and it wasn't very near.

Does anyone have accurate information on exactly where the walleye sanctuaries are on Lake Kipawa? I'm not worried about back lakes, but basically the waters that are attached to the "main lake" that define the grounds of most fisherman that visit the area out of Alwaki, Kipawa Lodge, Two Moon, 3 Seasons...etc.

Don't want to dip my line into something not allowed...  ;)

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

limacharley

Alwaki Lodge is nowhere near a sanctuary.....carry on.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T-Bone

Quote from: limacharley on March 20, 2019, 01:00:06 PM

But maybe we're the type that like to travel around. Oh wait...we are the type that like to travel around. A 10-mile run to try new waters is not rare...

penner

I thought there was a sanctuary at Turtle Chute , but I could be wrong. I would also like to know where others are .

smitty55

Quote from: penner on March 20, 2019, 07:25:07 PM
I thought there was a sanctuary at Turtle Chute , but I could be wrong. I would also like to know where others are .

There used to be for sure, the one year in the late 80's that I went up early we got checked by the mnr in between Alwaki and Turtle as they were returning from Turtle Chute to pick up the Sanctuary sign. I saw the sign in the boat. I've always assumed it was still a spring sanctuary, apparently not.

Cheers

puckster_guy

There's a sanctuary at Red Pine. To the west of the bridge. About 200 yards from the bridge. many boats park  right at the edge every May. The MNR keep an eye om things there every spring.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Greg

I think (but I could be wrong) there is one in the bay right behind Kipawa lodge at the entrance to the north river - this is on the way up to turtle Island (I call this the back way).   I've seen lots of yellow signs nailed to trees indicating when you can and cannot fish right at the entrance to the north river.

T-Bone

Thanks everyone; I think we have the key sanctuaries understood from Alwaki and heading SE to about Grindstone. Not sure about heading north or NE, but we don't usually head that direction anyway. Still trying to get confirmation from the ministry but you guys have hit the nearest off-limits areas (at least as far as I can tell from info and maps) including Turtle Falls/Chute and the North River Dam. I'm confident we'll venture down toward Edwards and Butney during our brief stay. Can't wait.

son of melvin

From this season's MRNF regs:

lac Kipawa (chute Turtle) canton Atwater  -  300 m upstream and 300 m downstream of Turtle falls. (46°54' N., 78°52' W.)

lac Audoin  -  its outlet stream, between a point located 300 metres downstream of the former North River (46°51' N., 78°47' W.)dam and the first narrowing upstream of the dam

lac Bélisle (chute 8) canton Bruchési  -  its outlet, between lac Kipawa and its first widening (47°03'53" N., 78°56'05" W.), as well as the lac Kipawa (47°08'00" N., 79°00'01" W.) bay downstream of this outlet.

lac Moran (canton Laperrière)  -  its outlet, between a point situated 1 km downstream of the old dam (47°09'58" N., 78°04'21" W.) and a point 60 m upstream (47°10'32" N., 79°04'42" W.).

rivière Kipawa  -  between a point 100 m upstream of Turner rapids (46°52' N., 78°24' W.)and lac Sairs (46°49' N., 78°26' W.) (cantons Villedieu et Senezergues).

rivière Kipawa  -  the part between three straight lines perpendicular to the current on the Kipawa River and connecting two opposing banks: - The first straight line, constituting the eastern limit, connects the points 46 ° 50'13.2''N., 78 ° 36'12.3''O . and 46 ° 50'20.9''N., 78 ° 36'04.5''O; - The second straight line constituting the north-west boundary connects the points 46 ° 50'19.1''N., 78 ° 36'49.1''W. and 46 ° 50'26.8''N., 78 ° 36'48.6''W; - Finally, the third straight line, constituting the south-west boundary, connects the points 46 ° 50'14.8''N., 78 ° 36'36.8''O. and 46 ° 50'15.0''N., 78 ° 36'42.5''O. - Canton Booth

Have a great trip!

T-Bone

Thanks; that confirms the information I got this morning. The two that are closest to us at Alwaki are Turtle and North River; the Turtle Falls sanctuary is only about a mile from our cabin, so Lima...that's an area we frequent and is only about a 5-minute boat ride...very close to Alwaki. The North River Dam is an area we have been to before also...and not too far. We'll be careful to avoid fishing in those, though I understand they're well marked.

Again...thanks all!

T-Bone

OK...getting some mixed signals...not on location, but effective dates. What 'date' do the sanctuaries open? I saw one post that said on 'opener'....another I thought said June 15th or so. I don't believe that they're open in mid-May...at least it wasn't on the last lake I was on when we were fishing for 'eyes in late-May but the sanctuaries were closed up tight.

Thanks.

smitty55

Quote from: limacharley on March 20, 2019, 01:00:06 PM

It appears you were incorrect. Just wondering where you got that idea.

Cheers

limacharley

Quote from: son of melvin on March 21, 2019, 10:55:07 AM
From this season's MRNF regs:

lac Kipawa (chute Turtle) canton Atwater  -  300 m upstream and 300 m downstream of Turtle falls. (46°54' N., 78°52' W.)

lac Audoin  -  its outlet stream, between a point located 300 metres downstream of the former North River (46°51' N., 78°47' W.)dam and the first narrowing upstream of the dam

lac Bélisle (chute 8) canton Bruchési  -  its outlet, between lac Kipawa and its first widening (47°03'53" N., 78°56'05" W.), as well as the lac Kipawa (47°08'00" N., 79°00'01" W.) bay downstream of this outlet.

lac Moran (canton Laperrière)  -  its outlet, between a point situated 1 km downstream of the old dam (47°09'58" N., 78°04'21" W.) and a point 60 m upstream (47°10'32" N., 79°04'42" W.).

rivière Kipawa  -  between a point 100 m upstream of Turner rapids (46°52' N., 78°24' W.)and lac Sairs (46°49' N., 78°26' W.) (cantons Villedieu et Senezergues).

rivière Kipawa  -  the part between three straight lines perpendicular to the current on the Kipawa River and connecting two opposing banks: - The first straight line, constituting the eastern limit, connects the points 46 ° 50'13.2''N., 78 ° 36'12.3''O . and 46 ° 50'20.9''N., 78 ° 36'04.5''O; - The second straight line constituting the north-west boundary connects the points 46 ° 50'19.1''N., 78 ° 36'49.1''W. and 46 ° 50'26.8''N., 78 ° 36'48.6''W; - Finally, the third straight line, constituting the south-west boundary, connects the points 46 ° 50'14.8''N., 78 ° 36'36.8''O. and 46 ° 50'15.0''N., 78 ° 36'42.5''O. - Canton Booth

Have a great trip!

Did not know that was a sanctuary thus my comment.  The others are far from Alwaki. TBone has said many times they don't venture too far from Alwaki. They have no reason to if the fish are biting nearby. Another reason for my comment.
Apologies all around.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Jay Thomas

Sanctuaries are open to fishing 15 Jun.

Jay

T-Bone

Thanks Jay...thought that was it; and it's cool Lima...we usually don't get too far from Alwaki during July...have never had to go more than a mile or two to get on stacks of fish. But...with a late-May trip on the books we're not entirely sure where or how far we're going to have to go, hence I was just being careful.

Well, if nothing else, we are all a little more aware of the location of sanctuaries near the central and SE parts of the system.

Now...on to the next point of discovery...tactics and techniques for mid/late May.  ;)