First time at Kipawa - Opening Weekend

Started by nfc30, April 12, 2015, 10:43:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nfc30

Hello everyone,

There is a small group of us going up to Kipawa for the first time for the Walleye opener. We'll be staying on the south-western side of the lake and we'll mainly be trying for walleye. Without going into much details on specific fishing spots, I was wondering what kind of lake structure and depth we should be looking for at that time of year, as well a general idea about how fishing is for that weekend. We have big enough boat to try different areas of the lake if needed.
First time posting, any help would be much appreciated!

Thank-you,
nfc30

Dog

@nfc30
first off welcome to the forum.

Lake Kipawa is huge so you may need to be a bit more specific on your lodging arrangements for those on here to offer any specific help.

In general, as you probably know, fishing shallow early in the season will likely yield the best results. So don't be afraid to cast right up to the shore... and in general I'd say if you're over 12 FOW, you're fishing too deep for mid may. think more 4-10 FOW this time of year.
Additionally, If I were you I would try to find choke points this time of year as fish are on the move (in my opinion) more than any other time of year.

This will also be my group's first time on kipawa (albeit in July/august timefame)... so something I do not know is where the spawning areas are on Kipawa (my guess is there is one for each area of the lake since it's so large).. find that and fish the chokepoints and shallow areas around the spawning area is where I would start if I were you this time of year.

Good luck and let us know how it goes whenyou return by posting a trip report.
Take it easy,
Nate
One more cast...

john c

I have never been up there for the opener ( or even close) so I am not much help.  I have never been up there before the 1st of July, less bugs then and I don't like bugs.  I do think Nate is right on where to look.  And welcome to the board.

John
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

nfc30

Thanks Nate for the good information,

Will definitely be in the shallows, and we will try 4-10 FOW for sure and will let you know how it goes. We are camping right on the water, just outside the town of Kipawa, and I have heard the fishing is a little slower that far south especially early in the year.

Thanks for help Nate and John

Jay Thomas

Hi nfc30

See the post from Wayne from last year's opening in this thread - see http://kipawafishingforum.net/index.php?topic=60.msg322#msg322

As well, if you haven't already, get a copy of the bathymetric maps for Lake Kipawa. They are available on line at http://www.mern.gouv.qc.ca/abitibi-temiscamingue/cartes/cartes-bathymetriques.jsp

Jay

nfc30

Thanks Jay! Will defiantly use those maps.