Northern Lights

Started by Nancy, May 18, 2015, 11:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nancy

Just wondering if anyone has seen northern lights in the Kipawa area and if so, when? John says he has seen them back in the early 90's when he used to go to Senneterre. However,  he used to go up earlier in the year than we have gone recently.  Since we are making a trip up this year over the 4th of July, just wondering if there is any chance we might see the northern lights.

puckster_guy

In 4 yrs of going up to Kipawa I've never seen them. BUT the Milky Way is a sight I can never tire of....just stunning Never seen so many stars down south.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

600 miles north

I agree with PG, the milky way is awesome to see up there. One night we were coming back from our neighbors by boat and I swear I have never felt so close to and have seen so many stars in my life.

I have an uncle who says that he has pushed out on the boat from our dock and witnessed the northern lights. I have no reason to doubt that they are possible to see at times, just depends what is going on in the atmosphere, and solar flares during the time we are up there.

Hopefully you will get your chance this year to see them Nancy...

Brad
600 miles north is where I'd rather be!

fishtildark

we go to sasseginega which is 50 miles northeast so shouldn't make a difference. have seen a few displays in the 25 or so years but there are probably a lot of light shows people don't even recognize. First , and maybe the best was about1990 in early june. the camp owners son knocked on our door and said " you have to see this" . Our one guy who was the master of the obvious... said oh, northern lights? owners son said either that or the Americans and Russians finally did it. our moto, not to be out done, said "wonder what a good time of year is to see these?" duh?   have seen a few others but usually at 3 am nature call and not nearly as spectacular.. look for waves of blue and green light and that is them.Iam sure if you spent the summer there  you would see some.
So many lures and so little time.

pike mike

19 years ago ,prior to our long standing time at 3 Seasons ,saw a beautiful northern lights show while fishing on Lake Ogascanan with the Hamilton Coca Cola Crew. Initially I thought I had had a few too many brown pops   

johnny walleye

I saw them like 3 times out of 25 plus years

Dog

never have seen them while on a fishing trip. Saw them once in the Navy while on the midwatch, steaming along the northern Russian territorial waters collecting intel...

That far north the ocean is an unforgiving place but that light show made it worth while!
One more cast...

fishtildark

I am sure they are more spectacular up there. And thank you for your service.
So many lures and so little time.