Supplies Not In Camps That You Might Not Think To Take (especially for new peopl

Started by Nancy, June 12, 2017, 10:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oarin

T-Bone, I googled the question and as far as I can tell a Signal flare gun is legal and not considered a firearm if used correctly. I still think I may leave it home though. If I did get checked a border cop may not know that, or may not care and thus end my trips to Kipawa!!
Thanks, better not to risk it. Gary.

Balsams

Oarin, as I said before I like how you and your son roll....gourmet eats, craft beer, linen from home...and the satelite radio! I agree it's nice to catch a ball game or NHL playoffs, classic vinyl, comedy radio or The Coffee House...I even take it in the boat for the mid day lake trout troll.

Fishin Mortician

After getting destroyed by mosquitos one year and having a sleepless night, we always take 2 box fans along to get air moving in the cabin. Set one at each bedroom door and it really takes care of the problem.  We also add a Foodsaver to our list which is the ticket for bringing any fish home.

limacharley

Quote from: Oarin on June 13, 2017, 07:08:25 PM
Never thought about that T-Bone. It's a small boat one still in its original box. We've never been checked at the boarder. Anyone out there have any idea?? Thanks.

It is legal to import a flare gun unless it is a Zoraki model R-1. ONLY this flare gun is illegal because it has the same barrel as a hand pistol that is manufactured by the same company.

Again it all depends "how" you answer questions at the border. If you state that the intention of the flare gun is for your personal protection against another person, they will deem it prohibited. If you state that you are going boating and it is to signal an emergency, you are golden.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T-Bone

Quote from: limacharley on June 14, 2017, 09:54:32 AM
Again it all depends "how" you answer questions at the border. If you state that the intention of the flare gun is for your personal protection against another person, they will deem it prohibited. If you state that you are going boating and it is to signal an emergency, you are golden.

Why invite the dialogue? Not sure there's much risk here to take it, and I completely understand erring on the side of safety and security. Not sure I'd have the capacity to load it and fire it in the case of an event on the water though...

Lima...do you know what's the deal on fixed-blade knives/machete? Is there a blade length 'limit'? We only ever get asked about firearms, but someone once told me there is a limit on fixed-blade knives also.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

limacharley

Why invite the dialogue....

Because there has to be a reasonable explanation as to why you are importing it.

Bear spray for instance is legal if it says on the can it is strictly to ward off bears but if you are going on a shopping trip to downtown Toronto, there's no reasonable explanation to import that bear spray. There's no bears on Younge street.....only cougars...hahaha.

Fixed blade knives/machete---i'm not aware of a blade length limit but again if you intend on blazing trails on a buddy's property, I see no reason to stop your importation. A longer blade on a filleting knife is reasonable if you're going fishing.

I do know that CBSA used to stop the importation of these long Japanese warrior swords,,,maybe that's where the blade length limit comes into play. You don't need a filleting knife that long do you?
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T-Bone

Quote from: limacharley on June 14, 2017, 10:48:35 AM

Because there has to be a reasonable explanation as to why you are importing it.

What I meant was to just keep it at home and you, therefore, you do not have to engage in that dialogue. Bringing it = inviting it.

OK on knives...and bullseye on cougars. LOL!!!
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on June 14, 2017, 10:53:54 AM
Quote from: limacharley on June 14, 2017, 10:48:35 AM

What I meant was to just keep it at home and you, therefore, you do not have to engage in that dialogue. Bringing it = inviting it.

OK on knives...and bullseye on cougars. LOL!!!

Lets not forget the Puma's also ( older than cougars)
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Oarin

Thanks Lima, mine should be fine then, it's shaped like a tube. T-Bone I would use it if our boat died, or we had trouble at the outpost. Expect the best, prepare for the worst.

Oarin

One must thing to bring I forgot is a Therma Cell mosquito repellent. They work great.