Lake Ogascanan June 27 - July 2

Started by ziggy6, July 20, 2017, 03:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggy6

Sorry about the delay in getting the report out but between work and family activities the time just slipped away. I'll ask  Ira to try and post some pictures since he is much more technologically advanced than I am.
Lake Ogascanan June 27 - July 2
Well after much anticipation and planning our day of departure had finally arrived. We were smarter to some degree this year in terms of purchasing tackle, since we mostly only used jig heads last year, but we had added a few new items to our tackle boxes ( since we all know you might be inclined to try something new :)).  Our fishing party had lost my son (work had gotten in the way of fun) but added two other members. It is amazing how one year of experience had made some of us the grizzled old veterans with us providing info to the newbies, lol.
    Going over the border at Ogdensburg was easy, the only issue is the duty free store there leaves a bit to be desired in variety, but we made due. So after about 10 hours we had arrived at Temiscaming.  We decided to take the advice of some of the members of this forum and stayed at Tem Rose , which turned out to be good advice.   We made our IGA run for some food items along with beer and had dinner and a few cocktails at Tem Rose before calling it a night.  The following day was ice and leeches pick up before we started the 2.5 hour run into Lake Ogascanan.
     We were met at the lake by the Mullen's family along with a strong rain shower (which would become a constant companion during our stay). Once again the Mullen's family greeted us with open arms and smiling faces. They really can make you excited to get out there and fish!   After our informational meeting with Jer and Dan we headed out to the Southern outpost. Last year we had stayed on the Island which we had enjoyed but this years accommodations were just as good.
      We were a bit apprehensive about the reports of the bugs ,even Dan said it had been an "epic" year for bugs. We had come prepared for war with Watkins, Deep Woods, Thermocells, bug suits, Ben's 100% deet but thankfully the bugs had decided to lighten up the week we were there and much of the "ammo" we had  brought made a trip back to the states with us.
      Fishing stated out a bit slow, which may have been due in part to the rain ( and there was a LOT of that) and the change in water temps. We started to hit the walleyes as the days went on . Most of the fish were taken on 1/8 oz jig heads with leeches. We had purchased 4 dozen worms but our success was primarily on the leeches. We found the fish in ~20 -17 feet of water holding on structures. Once again the info the Mullen boys provided us was spot on. Our largest walleye was a 28 incher with quite a few of our fish being over the slot. We did catch enough within the slot to have a dinner and also take a few home.  We also hit the pike fairly well since our newer party members targeted them and had some success with the largest being ~36 inches and several other good size fish being caught.
      Once again we brought too much of some stuff , such as food and tackle, and should have brought more of other items but we are learning.  It is amazing how fast the days go by when you're there.  On the way home we were already making lists on items to bring next year and to maybe add a day to help deal with the "Not enough time on Lake Ogascanan"  syndrome.
       One last thing, thanks to all of you that add advice to this forum. It is great hearing what techniques work and all of the the other info. One thing we have learned, in our 2 years,  once you're at the fishing cabin you cant run out to get something so all the prior experience and knowledge that is distributed here really helps you prepare..

Ziggy

BH

great report and if you don't keep a journal of some sort, it is helpful as you can continue to learn from previous trips if you travel about the same time and record the conditions daily.  Thanks for sharing.
Love fishing

SgtCrabby

Very good report.  I remember when we met y'all last year out there. You are now Lake O veterans.

BH's suggestion about a journal (a daily log) is helpful from year to year, if nothing else;  what to leave behind and what to add!
Good to hear that the bugs are coming down.

johnny walleye

Ira

Pics from our trip - easier for me to post a link

https://www.snapfish.com/photo-gift/share?via=link&token=QBRbh37pNl2t6RfEU3e0xg/SFO/27945788766060/SNAPFISH

1-3) Racing the storm on day 1 (we lost)
4 & 5) Nice finish to day 1
6 & 7) Heading out on day 2
8) our motley crew
9 & 10) Zig & I w/ a couple of keepers
11) a good morning outing
12) looks like Arnis is on to something
13) got it!
14) Juice w/ a nice one
15) Arnis w/ his first of 2 pike, caught on consecutive casts
16-18) Zig claims the prize for most fish & largest walleye
19) The end of the trip - it came far too quickly

Jay Thomas

Ira,

Thanks for posting a link to your pics. Does Ogascanan Lodge provide boats with the rod holders or do you guys bring up your own rod holders and attach with a C-clamp? Also, what is the name of the white handled tool being used to hold walleye in several pictures? Thanks in advance.

Jay

Oarin

Ira

I built the rods holders - scrap wood and some pvc extension tubes (they're about a $1 each). I can send to some more detailed pics if you want.

The "vise grip" things are a Rapala product - floating fish gripper. Available at BassPro, and elsewhere I'm sure.

SgtCrabby

I love the pictures. 
Looking at them I found I was deciding if I knew the areas, only 2 for sure (background).
Thanks