Hunter Lake 9/19-24

Started by Morrow21, September 27, 2021, 10:54:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morrow21

Just got back from a much needed trip to Kipawa. We stayed at a family cabin on Hunter.
Had my 2 COVID tests the Wednesday prior to leaving, both results coming back Thursday. Left SC on Friday morning and drove to Ohio. Spent the night at my in-law’s to take my father in law. Hooked up the boat and loaded up. Left for Canada Saturday about 4am. Canada crossing was pretty empty and uneventful, duty free closed. Stayed Saturday night with a family cousin that has a summer place just south of North Bay and added him to the group. Sunday morning drove the 2 hours to the Kipawa landing and loaded up and on our way.
Made it to camp by noon, didn’t know really what to expect as no one had been in 2+ years. Thankfully LimaCharlie checked on a tree we were worried about. Fortunately, someone cut it down for us, a huge thank you to someone?!
First couple days were beautiful weather, warm and sunny then Tuesday a front moved in and went to rainy and cold the rest of the week. When we were able to fish, which was usually only a couple hours a day trying to clean up, fix water leaks, etc, the fishing was great. We had never caught small mouth in Kipawa before, so when we started pulling in 3+ lbers regularly it was pretty fun! Still had no problem catching multiple walleye in the slot with our largest going to my father in law at 28”. Closed up Friday morning and said our goodbyes to the lake. Worked our way back over the next couple days. Border crossing on the way back was even easier, did go through duty free on the canada side and they mentioned it was the first week they were open in 1.5 years.
Was a great trip, never long enough and can’t wait to get back.

Hodgey1

Great report. Sounds like a good combination of work and fishing. 28" is one nice fish!

I want to thank the tree trimmer also, that's a great unsolicited favor!
Walleye Rock!

limacharley

Can't take credit for the tree. I'm assuming it's your neighbor.
Glad you had a nice trip.

I imagine the lake is never rough in that bay with the wind predominately from the west.

Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T-Bone

Thanks for the report...and congrats on getting back to the lake.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Greg

Thanks for the report Morrow!

Greg

plowjock

Fantastic to still see reports coming in.
Great to land that 28" walleye.
Very nice of that someone who came in and removed the tree.
Hope your next trip is a little more enjoyable, than being a work camp and weather wise, better.