Alwaki Bottom Bouncing

Started by Hodgey1, July 11, 2019, 01:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hodgey1

I didn't want to take @T-Bone 's troll or not to troll thread sideways, so I figured it would be best to start anew. @Jay Thomas has my interest peaked with his enthusiasm of using the bottom bouncer. I'm all about catching fish, no mater what the technique is and this concept is intriguing to me.

I ordered a few bouncers this week, along with some rubberized 3/8-1/2 oz split weights as @crackers42 has suggested and a selection of Northland worm harnesses. My plan is to at some point in my week at Alwaki, to try bouncing, rubber weights & harness and even some stick bait trolling.

As some may know, I'm still at the bottom of the Kipawa/walleye catching learning curve. My question has to do with bottom bouncing in the area that is within reasonable boating distance to Alwaki. Is there safer/lesser snag prone areas to troll in that area when bouncing? I'm fairly familiar with the region, but still learning. I remember reading here that there's a sandy bottom by Sunnyside?

Most of my jigging has been done around the shoal, west of Alwaki. I've had very limited fishing time at Hunters Lake, Dead Bear Bay, Corebeau narrows, Turtle Island area.
Walleye Rock!

smitty55

Chris so long as you don't exceed that 45° angle I've always found them to be fairly snag proof, even in rocky areas. The whole idea is to get the spinner rig close to bottom, but you don't have to drag the bouncer, just let it tap bottom every so often so you know that you're close. Now if you get into sandy areas like Sunnyside or a soft muddy bottom then by all means feel free to stir up the bottom more, sometimes that's the ticket. When using them I much prefer to back troll for precise boat positioning on structure or with the right breeze drift sideways parallel to shorelines and use the electric to move in and out exploring different depths, which works real good after a period of real windy weather and it has died down to a lighter breeze.

Cheers

Ozzy30

I have used the bottom bouncers up at kipawa before but not that often, I usually open water troll with harnesses but when I do use them I always run the electric motor because it is alot easier to keep in touch with bottom at the 45 degrees.  Best thing to do is trial and error and see what you prefer

Hodgey1

@smitty55 and @Ozzy30  I have just installed a trolling plate, but have not tried it out to know how slow I can go. I'm thinking 1.0-1.5mph should be achievable, since I can hit around 1.9 mph now without it. I also have Lund Trax mounted pole holders that will adjust to the 45* no problem.

I'm going to give them a try, who knows, maybe I'll be able to get the "Anti-troller/troll-Nazi " @T-Bone to go out one evening for bouncing and beers?  ;D
Walleye Rock!

smitty55

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 12, 2019, 12:54:05 PM
@smitty55 and @Ozzy30  I have just installed a trolling plate, but have not tried it out to know how slow I can go. I'm thinking 1.0-1.5mph should be achievable, since I can hit around 1.9 mph now without it. I also have Lund Trax mounted pole holders that will adjust to the 45* no problem.

It's not so much your rod that needs to be at 45°, it's your line that you need at that angle max. Also, although rod holders can be used I prefer to have the rod in hand to feel those light taps that you may not even notice in a holder. Generally the idea is to drop the rod tip to provide a bit of slack and then once you feel the weight of the fish set the hook with an upward sweep. Grabbing the rod out of the holder is just as likely to spook the fish.
Here's a little tutorial from In-Fisherman.  https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/bottom-bouncers-for-walleyes/155097

FYI alt+0176 =°

Cheers

Ozzy30

What size of troll plate did you get and how big is your outboard motor Hodgey?  I use one all the time and had to install the small plate on my 90hp because the large one recommended will not even let my boat move.  We have also cut some off of other friends plates to allow more water flow.  You might want to try before your trip if you have the opportunity

Hodgey1

Quote from: smitty55 on July 12, 2019, 01:46:13 PM
Here's a little tutorial from In-Fisherman.  https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/bottom-bouncers-for-walleyes/155097

That was a good read, thanks!

Quote from: Ozzy30 on July 12, 2019, 02:27:18 PM
What size of troll plate did you get and how big is your outboard motor Hodgey?

@Ozzy30 I have a 1650 Lund with 60hp 4 stroke. I installed a Davis plate size large as was their suggestion by HP

Walleye Rock!

Ozzy30

I would definately test it.  I use a small on my 90 and with no wind I get down to 1.2mph with the same boat