Depth/Fish Finders

Started by NortonJoe, May 10, 2022, 07:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonJoe

Ok all of my fellow Kipawa junkies....looking for a reasonably priced depth/fish finder to put on the boat up in Kipawa/Lake Watson for the week.  What are your thoughts?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

RHYBAK

Joe
What are you looking for?
Just fishfinder?

No GPS?

If it's just a fishfinder then buy whatever is in your budget.
Garmin, Hummingbird, Lowrance.....they are all good

If you go with a GPS, whatever you buy in the US will not have Canadian lake mapping.
It will cost you another 150 to buy a lake map SD card
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

NortonJoe

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

T-Bone

Embrace every moment...you only get it once

puckster_guy

Quote from: T-Bone on May 10, 2022, 08:32:25 AM
This is highest rated for portable. My old Eagle Cuda was good, but I don't even think they make it anymore.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/garmin-striker-4-portable-fishfinder-and-gps-plotter?irclickid=SJB2%3A7VxAxyIUoxTyMXa6T%3AYUkD0xqXlWUlXww0&irpid=2238339&irmpname=Your%20Bass%20Guy&irsharedid=&cm_soc=AFF&irgwc=1&hvarAID=impact
good o0ne. I got one for my tin can. Worked great but I couldn't get it to draw maps. GPS is good.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

fishtildark

Joe, just bought a Humminbird piranhamax portable, and assume you may need portable too. Was tough to find in stock . It replaces my old humminbird portable that ran on 2 6 volt.  No frills but all i really need is depth, the fish symbols are a bonus but not sure if we catch any of the fish we spot. Fish til dark..
So many lures and so little time.

Jay Thomas

Hi Joe,

Just my 2 cents. Everybody has different requirements - just make sure any new purchase satisfies your requirements.

While you didn't specify your budget, I'd recommend buying a fish finder that you don't require a magnifying glass to read. The display on the Garmin Fish Striker 4 (referenced by T-Bone) measures 1.9 inches by 2.9 inches (3.5 inches diagonally). Pretty darn small! Approximate cost is $200.

If you were to step up to a 5 inch diagonal fish finder with a display of 2.6 inches by 4.3 inches, cost is approximately $400 (e.g. Garmin Vivid 5 CV)

If you were to step up to a 7 inch diagonal fish finder with a display of 3.4 inches by 6.1 inches, cost is approximately $550 (e.g. Garmin Vivid 7CV)

In my opinion, sonar units are investments in fishing pleasure. And sonar units can have long lives. Indeed, I purchased my Lowrance HDS 7 in 2009.

Good luck with your purchase.

Jay

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

GregL

Quote from: RHYBAK on May 10, 2022, 03:40:03 PM
I WOULD EVEN SUGGEST THIS MODEL

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/lowrance-hook2-4x-bullet-gps-plotter-fishfinder-with-all-season-pack

That's a great deal! Good find.. I was going to suggest a 5 or 7" helix but they are more expensive.