Checking Our Options

Started by NortonJoe, August 17, 2014, 07:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonJoe

After travelling to and staying in Watson Lake Cabins for many years (40 for some of our group and 26 for me), we are beginning to  look at other options because of uncertainty about how long Watson Lake Cabins may be operating.  It certainly was with a heavy heart that I left camp this year suspecting that it may be the last at that camp (God willing it will not be).  So here's the challenge...let's hear about your favorite spot...how's the fishing, travel, amenities, pricing etc.  It is never to soon to begin planning!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Oarin

Hi NJ, Capt. Guy and I faced the same dilemma years ago when our favorite spot, Machi-Manitau was on its last legs. We were afraid that we would sign up for the next year and it would be closed when we got there. We went to a few sportsmen shows and chose Taggart Bay Lodge. The first year it was tough fishing, but we decided to give it another shot. Glad we did. This will be our 16th year there. It's very easy access to the cabins, 20 minutes down a good dirt road off Rt. 101. The cabins are the best we've ever been to and the boats and motors are excellent. As Capt. Guy and I aren't exactly spring chickens we also like that it's reasonably close to hospitals and stores. The price is good for what you get- cabin, boat, motor, gas, 24hour electric, and bait for under $700. if you do decide to try it be sure to PM some of the regulars for spots and tips. I'm sure the other camps are nice too, but we are sold on TBL. Hope that helps, Oarin.

NortonJoe

@Oarin...Thanks, and I appreciate your input...really hate looking around, and like I said its more as insurance but might as well start!
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Jiggy

We started going to Two Moon Lodge 6 years ago after having been at a number of other camps before that. Hand's down its the best camp we've been at. Its a small, boat-in camp on an open point on Loon Bay. Dave and Julie are awesome hosts and have done a lot of work to the place. Cabins are nice with hot water, showers, electricity. Good boats with Honda motors, private docks. I think we each paid $650 this year.  Most of the fishing we do close to the camp and we have never complained about the fishing. The north end of Lake Kipawa has stayed more remote than the other parts of Kipawa and you'd think you were on a bush lake in the middle of nowhere. I am sure you will find a camp that will be perfect. There are some good operations out there.

NortonJoe

@Jiggy One of the things that we like about Lac Watson is the remoteness...nice to be that far away from everything!  Thanks for the input...I'll keep gathering info.
~Henry David Thoreau

Dog

Quote from: NortonJoe on August 19, 2014, 01:04:47 PM
@Jiggy One of the things that we like about Lac Watson is the remoteness...nice to be that far away from everything!  Thanks for the input...I'll keep gathering info.

You should give Lake O a shot. Their outpost cabins are about as remote as it gets and still every accommodating (all newly remodeled).
One more cast...

john c

Norton Joe

If you like remote then Lake Ogascanan outpost cabins is what you are looking for.  We have been going there 13 trips now and love it, planning trip 14 next year.  Everything is kept neet and tidy, the cabins are very clean and the boats are in great shape, motors start first pull every time( I'm told, we always take our own boat).

John
Smile, every one will wonder what you have been up to.

NortonJoe

@john c @Dog How are the roads back to Lake O? I always see the turn-off when heading to Lac Watson.
~Henry David Thoreau

Dog

the last section of road is the best it's been since we've been going there the last 4 years. That being said, that last portion is worse than the previous portions... albeit slightly as they've really done a good job with draining and grading improvements but there is of course the occasion rock or pothole you need to watch out for... going slow and being patient it's easily navigable. The worse section of road is actually the lodge driveway (1 mile long)... it's all cobblestone and rock and you must take your time on this last section. That being said, it's all navigable... we trailered my dad's boat in (4.5 hours) and out (3.25 hours) with no issues... in years past from Temiscaming without trailering it took us 2.75-3 hours from the Auberge Canadienne parking lot.

you don't really need 4wd (unless there was just a massive rain), you need ground clearance and most importantly patience.  Just my $.02
Just about any pickup truck or SUV with good tires will get you there...
One more cast...

john c

The roads in are not great but I have pulled my 16' boat back in there every year except the first one.  They did alot of work on the roads last fall and this year they were the best I have ever seen them.  I made it from Temis. to Ogas in 2 hours and 20 min.  The weather is a crap shoot so you never know, one year it took 4.5 hours.  The roads keep day fishermen out----- to long of a trip for just one day.  I have made 13 trips back into there so take that for what it's worth.

John

NortonJoe

@john c About like the trip to Lac Watson then ;D.  By the way, I believe Lac O is in the ZEC...What are the regulations and extra costs for that?
~Henry David Thoreau

jackalofnar

ZEC fees are under $100 for a week trip as far as I know.  There are lots of good camps to choose from for sure.  Bush Country Camp is also in the ZEC and the fees are included in the booking.  The fishing is great,  but of course I am a bit biased there. :)

Kirk

john c

There are no extra costs for the ZEC.  You don't stop at the ZEC office Ogas takes care of everything for you.  There is a slot limit in the ZEC on walleyes, keep between 14.5 and 21 inches, there is a size limit on lake trout but I don't know what it is---If we happen to catch one it goes right back.  No size limit on pike.  Keep up to 10 fish, no more than 6 walleye, up to 6 can be pike and up to 2 lake trout.  Other than the slot limit on walleye you don't know you are in the ZEC, except Ginny will issue you a ZEC permit with your license.  They do sell fishing lic. at the camp.  They are great hosts and help any way they can.  They have a few depth finders for rent, if you want electric they rent generators, they have night crawlers at the camp.

John

Fishn Deep

All depends what you are looking for and where.  We have had good trips to the Club Trout Lake territory near Belleterre. Not in ZEC. Been going there for about 10 years or so. It's quite a haul north from Temiscaming but good roads.

Accommodations aren't great but decent if you want seclusion you have your pick of outposts throughout the territory on a number of different lakes. So not every Tom, Dick, and Harry are pounding the same piece of water over and over. This year we saw 8 to 10 moose and a bear right across from our camp which was a bonus to the fishing.

Quality and size of walleye and pike have been good. Price is more than you will pay at other places and all that info is on their website. I've fished all over Quebec including the Gouin Reservoir, Lac Kipawa, Ogascanan, Domaine Shannon, and others and this is where we settled on and returned the most  Hopefully where you like to go will still be an option and you won't have to worry about it.

T-Bone

John...for that slot limit on Lake Ogas...does that mean those size walleyes have to go back, or that those are the only size of 'eyes you're permitted to keep?

Sometimes people refer to the 'slot' as the fish you're NOT ALLOWED to keep, sometimes the opposite. I believe Kipawa is seriously looking at implementing a similar slot size restriction. I really have no dog in that brawl....I throw everything back.

I would have to think a 17"-21" fish is a good breeding size...

No intent to hijack the thread...just interested.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once