Forest Fires / Maniwaki Access

Started by crackers42, July 20, 2018, 12:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crackers42

Although not common, years back we have been turned around at the start of the Manawaki due to extreme heat / dryness.

With the extreme heat / lack of rain / and forest fires off in the distance, one might want to call the Zec office ahead of time to ensure the road is open for travel (doesn't happen very often)

For locals not that much of deal but for those coming up from the states worth a call.

puckster_guy

I came down Maniwaki today on my way home this morning. It was open and fine. Very little or no smoke in the air all week. Keeping my fingers crossed...
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Greg

I got home late this evening - left the Kipawa dock at 9:52am all loaded and ready to get home to Ottawa by about 3 or 3:30 with a gas stop and maybe a lunch ... or so I thought.

Forrest fires between Mattawa and Petawawa/Deep river area had the highway closed - not knowing for how long (it was closed for 12 or 14 hours the previous day) we turned around, drove to North Bay, then south through Huntsville, to Eganville, then back to Renfrew and onto the 17 again... introduced a 4 hour delay getting home and another tank of gas in the truck... exhausted.... full trip report coming soon.

crackers42

Fire started from lightning on the north side of jaw bone bay.  For those not aware that is a few km south of kipawa or about 4 km down the mnaiwaki

Lucky it hit in a bog and not in a dry spot

puckster_guy

Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Captain Hali

Just wondering, whats the latest on the forest fires in the area?

Jay Thomas

Quote from: Captain Hali on August 03, 2018, 10:11:36 AM
Just wondering, whats the latest on the forest fires in the area?

When I googled weather for Témiscaming today, I saw the following alert.

Special Weather Statement   
Issued at 09:28 Friday 03 August 2018   

Forest fires near Georgian Bay are producing a smoke plume that is drifting toward these regions and is locally diminishing air quality significantly and temporarily. Those with respiratory ailments should take appropriate action.

Jay

crackers42

Camp Fire Ban is off, we have had rain on and off (And heavy) for the last few weeks.

Ban is still on in Ontario.