Newbie boat discussion

Started by Hodgey1, August 15, 2017, 09:09:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RHYBAK

Bought mine in Canada ...so yes.
Your should also but best to find out in store
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

SgtCrabby

My suggestion is simple:  look at the picture of RHYBAKs boat and replicate as much of it as your pocket can handle.  He does know how to catch fish in paridise.
And look at what the others suggestions are on what additional toys to get first and what will wait till later.

You've defined what the boat needs to be able to do; stay with those definitions.
My boat is not a Kipawa first boat, but I can only get there once a year; it is good for the waters I fish locally.

Hodgey1

Quote from: SgtCrabby on September 23, 2017, 08:13:36 PM
replicate as much of it as your pocket can handle.

Sgt, I agree. Ryhbak has a sweet set up. He is helping me via PM to get things done correctly. I unfortunately will have to be patient with any additions to the boat this year. I need to allow the nest to regain its composure after being ransacked for a boat purchase and 2 trips to Kipawa.  ;)

I did feel a little bit twitchy this weekend, after reading a column in the weekly fishing report saying : Steelhead time on lake Erie. Steel head stacking up in front of tributaries waiting on rain to enter the creeks and trolling spoons picking up some nice fish, during summer time like weather.
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Quote from: Hodgey1 on September 25, 2017, 09:54:34 AM
Quote from: SgtCrabby on September 23, 2017, 08:13:36 PM
replicate as much of it as your pocket can handle.

Sgt, I agree. Ryhbak has a sweet set up. He is helping me via PM to get things done correctly. I unfortunately will have to be patient with any additions to the boat this year. I need to allow the nest to regain its composure after being ransacked for a boat purchase and 2 trips to Kipawa.  ;)

I did feel a little bit twitchy this weekend, after reading a column in the weekly fishing report saying : Steelhead time on lake Erie. Steel head stacking up in front of tributaries waiting on rain to enter the creeks and trolling spoons picking up some nice fish, during summer time like weather.

Surface troll 50 to 100 feet behind the boat with A.C. Shinners or baits like that.

Hodgey1

Please, shhhhhhh, don't tell my wife, but I just purchased 2 used Cannon Mag 10's for my boat 8) They should be here tomorrow, Rhybak has been coaching threw installation possibilities. So, this weekend I know what I'm doing :D
Walleye Rock!

RHYBAK

Just tell her you found them in one of the boats storage lockers

fishtildark

I too like to help people spend their money on sporting goods. Rhybak may be great information and  a bad influence.
So many lures and so little time.

RHYBAK

LOL
I may be helpful in spending other peoples money but at least I'm not recommending 200 dollar rods and 150 dollar reels.

;D :D ;)

fishtildark

good point.. nor would I, but there were some pretty fancy outfits being recommended earlier in the year by others on the board. Not on my budget..  :)
So many lures and so little time.

Hodgey1

I alway try to get my best bang for my buck and do the homework necessary to figure out what that is. This board has helped me with my gear selection for Kipawa. I picked up a Pfueger president reel $49 on sale for $39 with a $10 rebate, so net $29 and paired with a $59 Fenwick with $10 rebate. Ended up being my favorite rig last trip to Kipawa total cost $78.
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Update: I mentioned earlier that I purchased two used downriggers. One of the used Cannons I purchased, arrived damaged by the shipping Co.  >:( so the seller has agreed to repair and return it to me.

I have taken a mounting concept shared with me from Rhybak for the DR's, and made a drawing and took it to my local fabrication shop. They are making the mounting brackets and should be done this week. Once I have them, I will mount them to the boat and mount a pair of Cannon swivels to the bracket. Then mount the one DR I do have. I hope to share photo's as I progress.
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

I picked up the brackets for mounting the downrigger today from the fabricators. I'm going to try again, after many unsuccessful attempts at posting photos, to post a few.

Walleye Rock!

smitty55

Looks good Hodgey. I assume there are some drain holes under the plate. Mount them as far back as practical, makes for tighter turns.  Btw, how long of an arm did you get with the riggers?
As for pics, you should try imgur. It works great, full size pics on the post too.

Cheers

Hodgey1

Quote from: smitty55 on October 12, 2017, 09:28:31 PM
Looks good Hodgey. I assume there are some drain holes under the plate. Mount them as far back as practical, makes for tighter turns.  Btw, how long of an arm did you get with the riggers?

Do I need drain holes? The brackets are made of 1/4 aluminum and I'm mounting the Cannon swivels right to the brackets.

They will be mounted as far back as I can, yet still be able reach the swivel release. The Cannon DR's I bought have a adjustable boom from 24"-61cm  to 53"-135cm
Walleye Rock!

smitty55

Quote from: Hodgey1 on October 13, 2017, 07:31:24 AM
Quote from: smitty55 on October 12, 2017, 09:28:31 PM

Do I need drain holes? The brackets are made of 1/4 aluminum and I'm mounting the Cannon swivels right to the brackets.

They will be mounted as far back as I can, yet still be able reach the swivel release. The Cannon DR's I bought have a adjustable boom from 24"-61cm  to 53"-135cm

My mistake, I should have looked at the big pics lol. It was the mounting bolt holes I was seeing.

Nice choice on those riggers. Great to have the length option. Hopefully they weren't heavily used.

Good luck with the Lakers next year. I've found that the riggers are at their best once the thermocline sets up mid summer. Any decent sonar can pick it up so it's easy to get that perfect depth. Then it's just a matter of finding the structure.

Cheers