Favorite Bait

Started by NortonJoe, April 25, 2024, 09:15:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NortonJoe

What is your favorite bait in Kipawa, live or artificial?  Mine has to be the gold tone hot n' tot.  That little gem never fails to produce.  As far as live bait, just give me a hot pink jig with half a worm and a nice slow drift. I must admit I am going to try some new things this year, primarily I want to try the slip-bobbering and see how that goes. Plus you can't beat a silver spoon when the sun is high for the northern pike. So what do you say ladies and gentlemen? What is your "go to".
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

T

My favorite bait is a jig and half a night crawler.  The color varies from year to year. I too like to try something new.  Last year jigging raps and Shiver minnows worked very well for my crew.  They were actually the top producers for us.  Last year we were successful for the first time jigging for lakers.  We used large white tubes.

Netman

We do very little vertical fishing other than with a slip bobber and 1/2 crawler. We primarily use tubes (think Gitzit's) and shiver minnows or Slab Raps for casting. If we are fishing up shallow, then casting a shallow running crank bait works well. During the really windy days we will troll with bottom bouncers and worm harnesses if they are hugging the bottom, or use Hot-N-Tots for suspended fish. We always have a few big musky baits and trolling rods to target Northern if the Walleye temporarily shut down.

RHYBAK

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

limacharley

I'll second the leech. Too bad they are so expensive.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

T-Bone

Jig and leech...pounded. Pinky Tuscadero in summer...chartreuse in early season. Or any color really...but those are my go to baits. Leeches are always in tote...no matter the price. Spoons for pike. Whatever Ozzy hands me for lakers....  ::)
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Ira

Yep, jig & leech. It's what we were told by the Dan & Jer on our first Canada trip to Ogascanan, and just drift. Have tried other things also, but nothing seems to produce as well. I've done a bit of slip bobber fishing - especially on windless days and have done OK with that. But at the end of the line? Leech.

RickOnt

My go to first cast would be a Jig and Leech ;D  ;D  ;D
"Making Memories"

RHYBAK

I hear it a few times that some guys feel that worms are free at camp and leeches are expensive.
My thought is that your already spending a lot of money to get to Quebec and them even more money to stay in Quebec.
Spend the money on the leeches and enjoy a  better time fishing by using a bait that the Walleye devour.
Just do it.

T-Bone

I can't recall specifically, but are there restrictions/forbiddance of using "dead/cut herring" as bait on Kipawa and surrounding lakes?

I do recall using it in early-2000s for lakers...and it was effective. Smelly, gross stuff though.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on May 01, 2024, 08:57:36 AMI can't recall specifically, but are there restrictions/forbiddance of using "dead/cut herring" as bait on Kipawa and surrounding lakes?

I do recall using it in early-2000s for lakers...and it was effective. Smelly, gross stuff though.

Yes there is a restriction now.
No minnows for bait on Kipawa.
Strictly worms or leeches

limacharley

Quote from: RHYBAK on May 02, 2024, 08:23:42 AM
Quote from: T-Bone on May 01, 2024, 08:57:36 AMI can't recall specifically, but are there restrictions/forbiddance of using "dead/cut herring" as bait on Kipawa and surrounding lakes?

Yes there is a restriction now.
No minnows for bait on Kipawa.
Strictly worms or leeches

Unless you're an Indian. No restrictions.

They don't harm the ecology nor hurt the fishery. Lol
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Hodgey1

I hate to just follow the crowd, but jig head with a leech dangling can't be beat. Very close second is the mighty nightcrawler "half" on a jig head. My group is a mix of leech and worm folk, I can say this, there are time when the worm is winning and I will make the switch  8) 
Walleye Rock!

BigChief

Chartreuse jig, leech and slip bobber. The lazy man's way to fish, can't be beat!!

RHYBAK

Quote from: BigChief on June 03, 2024, 10:51:14 AMChartreuse jig, leech and slip bobber. The lazy man's way to fish, can't be beat!!

Why waste a jig when float fishing.
Just a good single hook and split shot.