Wolf attacking a moose in Northern Ontario.

Started by pikebuster, October 15, 2017, 10:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pike mike

WOW  …to Morganjp , Rhybak  , Puckster_ guy and all who read this post and its eventual editorial twist . It amazes me how politically correct society has become and how quick we are to point out what , in our opinion is the failings of others  . Being a supporter of a number of environmental watchdog groups I can understand Pucksters concerns and viewpoints but see that there was no reference to hunting mentioned  . Not sure it required a political correction but that is one’s right in society today . As to cheering for predator or prey  , I was just excited watching nature play out in its complete and utter rawness not sure how this true drama would end . One last point : Neither a human hunter or human fisherman (or fisherperson) truly “knows what HUNTING IS “ ,  only 1 being in this discussion truly “knows what HUNTING IS “ and that would be the wolf  LOL   

Fort Wisers

BryanKale

Quote from: Hodgey1 on October 25, 2017, 07:13:47 AM
I love the environment and all things nature, the wolf gets on my nerves though. I know. I know, they need to eat too. I don't have to like  >:(

Same here.  :-\

Captain Hali

Pike Mike, to the wolf, what we call " hunting " is purely the instinctual  pursuit and killing of game as a means of survival. Repeated failure is not an option as this spells certain death.This video shows just what risk the wolf was willing to take pursuing and animal 8 to 10 times it's own weight in an unusual element. Great video of nature at work.

BryanKale

Quote from: Captain Hali on November 24, 2017, 11:35:19 AMThis video shows just what risk the wolf was willing to take pursuing and animal 8 to 10 times it's own weight in an unusual element. Great video of nature at work.

In such case, that's what we would call survival of the fittest.

limacharley

I had a bull, a cow and a calf behind my house last weekend. My StealthCam also caught an 8 point buck. No wolves though.

Here's a thought to consider: if we can use a GPS/sonar to find fish, why cant we use a drone to find game?  Go,...
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Captain Hali

If we could, would you still consider it " fair chase " ???

limacharley

Quote from: Captain Hali on November 29, 2017, 04:06:57 PM
If we could, would you still consider it " fair chase " ???

Is it fair to use electronics to find fish?
Everybody is a genius.
- Albert Einstein

puckster_guy

After some thought, LC YES. All the electronics do is locate fish. the rest is up to the fish. Y can put anything across their nose. Till they actually bite you ain't getting any. If you were down there with a net or spear etc. and cleanning out the lake then that would be different. After all you don't wait for a moose to bite your bait you shoot it from any distance possible. In that, at least to me is the diff.....Now argue amongst yourselves.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Captain Hali

LC, there is a big difference as to what you can see with sonar and a drone. When that fish that's 22 feet deep swims out of the sonar's cone it disappears, and you have no idea where it went. The drone has a much wider field of vision, and you can maneuver the drone to follow your target, and possibly intercept it for a shot. With today's technology in weapons, optics, and ballistics, it is possible to take down an animal up to 1000 yds., and beyond. That in itself opens another question of ethicality, even though there are no laws regulating up to what distance one can attempt a shot. What say you.........     

limacharley

Many people on here wouldn't dare drop a line if the sonar didn't indicate there were fish below so you're argument doesn't hold water.
The sonar finds the fish just like the drone finds the game.

I don't think there's much of a difference between using electronics (technology) to fish and using technology to hunt. I'm not agreeing to hunting with a drone, i'm just saying the difference is minuscule. It's splitting hairs.

What did the old dogs say when the sonar came out in the 70's?....oh that's going to ruin fishing. Did it? You may be able to find a moose with a drone, doesn't mean you're going to be in a position to shoot it.
Everybody is a genius.
- Albert Einstein

puckster_guy

I dunno about minuscule. I sonar still can't make fish bite. Your working with bait and lures trying to elicit a reaction either hunger or anger to get it to hit the lure. Except for bear hunting you do not bait animals to come to you, your chasing. If a drone tells you where to look as opposed to you hanging near their home waiting or looking for him. The animal would have no chance of escape as a fish deciding to not bite.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Canez