The Bug Forecast

Started by T-Bone, May 13, 2019, 11:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

So, I have to ask as I would consider myself a Kipawa rookie when it comes to late-May on the lake. Earliest I've ever been there before is June 5th, the the skeeters that year were just unbelievable.

Given the seemingly later ice out and recent temps (and forecasted temps upcoming), what do you think we can expect in terms of bugs....specifically black flies and skeeters...when we get there on May 23rd (week from Thursday)?

It's well-known that I absolutely loathe the bugs, but I think I'm better prepared than I've ever been before to "deal with them".

Local perspective is appreciated, though any experiences with those of you that typically fish around opener are welcome, for sure.

10/74.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Fort Wisers

Each year is different for sure depending on snow pack left and transition from cooler to warmer weather.......but here's what I can offer for what it's worth;

We just got back from the cabin in Mattawan (~ 45-50km basically due south of where you'll be). There are no real bugs yet to report but they are starting ever so slightly.
Meaning the bugs won't be long if the weather continues to stay above zero at night.

Kipawa area itself is still has a bit more snow and cooler temps than we have in Mattawan so it's likely a week or so behind Mattawan in terms of thaw and therefore bugs.
Given the flooding that has run rampant every where this year, everything is soaked, so when the bugs do finally come my personal prediction is they're gonna be bad this year unless there is a real turn in the weather to hot and dry very quickly.

So for your trip, you might actually be safe for the first bit but when they do come, be prepared.
Your trip is right on that transition period between zero flies and full force.
If you do end up in the front end of fly season, black flies will be the majority of what you have to contend with.

crackers42

You won’t see much in terms of either black flies or mosquitoes.  It will start up first week in June last week of May

RHYBAK

T-Bone
So many worries and concerns.
You're better off cancelling your trip and just staying home
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

T-Bone

Quote from: RHYBAK on May 13, 2019, 04:01:56 PM
T-Bone
So many worries and concerns.
You're better off cancelling your trip and just staying home

No worries on my side, Mr. Rhybak...all good over here. I can't control it, just want to be prepared for it. And, just knowing that I'm going to get in TWO trips before you even sniff your trip up to Kipawa this year is satisfaction royale.  ;)

I'll get an "on the ground" forecast right before I pack and pass it along, but good info guys...thanks.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

RHYBAK

Good Luck

I don't think the bugs will be out yet for this trip

Second trip will be another story

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Fort Wisers

@T-Bone got a report from a local yesterday that a few flies are buzzing around but nothing major yet.....

puckster_guy

I saw a couple of skeetees but no blackflies yet.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Hodgey1

Frickin' skeeters.....

Where I live, it hasn't stopped raining long enough for skeeters to breed. Once they get their stagnate, little cesspools they will explode. Just say no to used tire behind the garage!  ;)
Walleye Rock!