Can't wait to fish this year!! New Ride :)

Started by GregL, February 14, 2019, 08:31:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregL

I've been wanting a smaller duck boat for the last couple years because I mostly hunt by myself with my dog and have been finding the 18' Alaskan was just taking to long to change spots like you often have to do in public marshes. I posted the boat a couple years ago with no bites, tried again this year and it sold quick, to a great guy!

My intention was to get into one of those fancy full windshield glass walleye boats and pick up a little 1 - 2 man duck boat. Well, little did I know our government in there infinite wisdom, put a 10% tariff on ALL BOATS coming from the states NEW & USED aluminum & fiberglass! I thought it was just on aluminum, so I quickly learned that the tariffs, our weak dollar and our 13% tax increased the cost of new & used boats by at least 50%! This totally pushed the boat we wanted out of the budget, rather any large full windshield walleye boat was out of budget now UGH!

So we ended up back in a tiller, which is not so bad we do love the open space of a tiller! I searched and search used boats, but even a early 2000's Ranger, Skeeter or Warrior was pushing 50g! That's just to much for me to spend on a used boat. I spent a full day at the boat show crawled in every boat I could. We found a very nice new Alumacraft Competitor 205 that checked all our boxes except 3, which really were not that much of a comprise once we sat down and thought about it.

1) More speed & larger gas tank so we could cover more water
2) Windshield to increase our comfort level
3) Glass for the better ride.

The only real compromise we made to get into this boat was 2 & 3 and 3 should still be improved with this boat as it's almost 21' feet and has a 170L tank so we got our range with it as well.  This boat has a ridiculous amount of storage!

Hopefully , she turns out to be as reliable as our Alaskan was. Can't wait to rig this beast up!

I don't have many interior pics yet, took this one at the dealer.

Oarin

T

Very Nice.  I bought a new Starweld  last year and still working on finishing my rigging.  Hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine.

Greg

Great looking boat Greg. Congrats.

Enjoy it as much as you can is my advice - I got my new boat 2 seasons ago and I am more anxious than ever - I can't wait to get it back on the water in May.

Cheers
Greg

penner

Nice boat Greg. Does the Yamaha have any kind of "tiller assist" like your 75 did?

GregL

Thanks!

I'm still gathering the rigging stuffs, will be rigged for the open water that is for sure hehe!

It doesn't at the moment, but will. The patent is up on the titan system and uflex has a unit that looks to be almost a carbon copy :)

I really wanted to go to a 150hp sho, but just pushed the price to high for me right now. From what I'm reading it should hit 40, so that's not bad for 115 on a 20' boat!

kipawa4

GregL

Ok I"m excited now!!! Just finished rigging the replacement boat last night! I have to get some stickers were gonna call this boat Take 2!  It's a looong story!

Leaving tomorrow am..can't wait!!