Pickerel spawn update

Started by Northbound, May 13, 2019, 08:09:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Northbound

Hey all,

We received an update from friends with one of the native bands at Kipawa, the water is really high....no surprise, but what really has everyone surprised is the fact the pickerel have yet to spawn. This has everyone scratching their heads, not too sure what is the cause for the spawn delay.

T-Bone

So does that mean we should not waste our time fishing for them late-May? Unclear what that means other than they won't be moving out in numbers. Thanks.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

puckster_guy

Interesting. The water has been open at Red Pine for the past three weeks. I would have thought they were busy in the rapids. Having said that tho. There's been an extraordinary amount of water coming under the bridge, Maybe too much current?
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

crackers42

This year is no different then last year.  What you will of fish on the east side (red pine) will spawn under the ice where as when you start passing hunters they are later.  Same goes for fishing west end is a lot better for lake trout whereas east end is better for larger pickerel.  Ice went out two days before opener last year and fishing was on fire

I would still make the trip

T-Bone

We're coming no matter what...you can make book on that. We can't wait!

crackers42

North river damm would be worth a look this year

T-Bone

Thanks 42...that's a haul for us, but we'll give it a look.

crackers42

Mouth of Butneys is a popular spot also on opener

puckster_guy

Last year at this time I got a bunch trolling the narrows north of Grindstone into MacLauglin...

T-Bone

I know some pretty tight saddle areas and narrows near us; at last count, we have over 25 spots to hit targeting 'eyes. We'll hope to get it locked-in by spot 5 to 7, I'm guessing. And IF we have to head down toward NRD or Butney's, we will. Whooo'hooo....can't wait...

RHYBAK

Quote from: T-Bone on May 14, 2019, 11:30:18 AM
I know some pretty tight saddle areas and narrows near us; at last count, we have over 25 spots to hit targeting 'eyes. We'll hope to get it locked-in by spot 5 to 7, I'm guessing. And IF we have to head down toward NRD or Butney's, we will. Whooo'hooo....can't wait...

Excellent
A man with a plan
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Rico

One spot for sure is in front of the old McKenzie camp. Always did well there in the spring.

crackers42

Puckster,

In front of joes and long narrows going down on the right side still fishing with a leech and jig bother trolling until last week of May at earliest

If you want a little further trip go down to butneys right side before you enter there is a shoal there make sure you stay on the shallow side of it or up though red pine (not this year) first point you come to on the left there is a large shelf there

95 percent of boats will be at joes in the narrows or over in butneys

puckster_guy

Ty Crackers. I know where you mean in front of Joe's. It's the only camp on Long narrows. That point across from Joe's on the right and just north can be a good jigging spot in summer. I got a few there. That whole area is full of fish. I just started exploring it last summer.I've never fished Grindstone so I wanna check out that lake for a change of scenery. Maybe drop in on Paul's over by the landing.  I got a bunch of spots to check out ever go down to Furguson bay. Love it down there.

Fort Wisers

LOL, when crackers referred to "in front of Joe's" I thought he meant you puck and then was referring to the long narrows as another spot.
Thanks for the clarification....