Anyone seen the Ottawa River at Temiscaming recently?

Started by RoK, April 29, 2019, 08:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoK

With all the flooding in Ottawa and the river level, just wondering what it's like at Temsicaming.  Anyone been there in the last few days?  I imagine its incredible to say the least.
Cheers, Ron

crunchie

I just drove from Ottawa today and saw many views of the Ottawa River along the way.  Strangely enough, the levels never seem to be a problem north of Ottawa/Gatineau.  I'm no expert on hydro dams (or anything else for that matter)  but I think it has a lot to do with them controlling the flows as there a few between Temiscaming and Ottawa.  In 2017 when Gatineau were flooded big time, there was barely any water at Deux-Rivières???? Of course a lot has to do with the surrounding landscape (lower land levels) which follows the river beds, I would think.
Keep your stick on the ice and your rod in the water

Fort Wisers

The level of the Ottawa river below the crossing at Temiscaming is controlled by the Otto Holden Hydro dam down in Mattawan Twp.
This section of water from Temiscaming crossing down to the Otto Holden dam is referred to as the Lac La Cave reservoir.
This reservoir is generally dropped (I think around mid / end of winter, but that's going by memory) by maybe 2-3 meters with anticipation of the spring run off.

A similar reservoir exists from the Otto Holden dam (Mattawan) down to the Des Joachims dam near Rolphton.
This creates the Lac Holden reservoir.
I believe they also drop this level similar to what is done above in La Cave.

So these two sections generally appear quite low during the spring run off, even if the run off is quite severe.....
As a result of all this, these two sections would no be representative to the heights (and therefore current flooding situation) around Ottawa/Gatineau and further downstream.
As pointed out by @crunchie there are a number of these dams along the river length, each with the ability to control it's own upstream reservoir height.

Unfortunately for the Ottawa / Gatineau section of the river, and further down, the further down stream you go in any river system (dam controlled or not) the more additive upstream run off and tributary water must be absorbed into the system.

puckster_guy

As a side note. I've never seen so much water coming under the bridge at Red Pine. There is still a ton of snow in the bush to melt. My water levels are rising a couple 3 inches a day. My dock doesn't usually float yet.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

RoK

Thanks Guys

I didnt know about all the dams along the Ottawa, very interesting.
Cheers, Ron

Northbound

Also check out the Rolphton Dam on HWY 17 North West of the Ottawa Valley, it manages the flow of the Ottawa River.

Fort Wisers

Quote from: Northbound on April 30, 2019, 03:53:15 PM
Also check out the Rolphton Dam on HWY 17 North West of the Ottawa Valley, it manages the flow of the Ottawa River.

Yeah the view of the Rolphton Dam (Des Joachims) is something to see, it's worth the stop at the turn out!

Northbound

The Timiskaming dam is expected to open this week to release the high level of water it is currently holding back.

Fort Wisers

Yeah the above all being said, the levels everywhere this year are high. The Otto Holden dam here in Mattawan is going to release tonight / tomorrow as well (likely to follow suit with what @Northbound mentioned). The town of Mattawa is already running at its limit in terms of what it can handle for water levels. As a result of the news of the dam released the town is now declared under a state of emergency. I’ll try to get some pics to post up tomorrow. On my drive up last Thursday the level below the Rolphton dam looked low so hopefully there is room to absorb in this section of the river.
Stay safe everyone...

limacharley

Yeah OPG gave the town of Mattawa about 2 hours notice that they were going to spill some water over. No time to sandbag lower parts of town. Now they're in a state of emergency.
Hope the town sues OPG. You can't tell me that it was necessary to make a last minute decision to open the dam. OPG knew this was coming. 72 hours notice would have sufficed imo.
It's been a series of mismanagement all around this spring by the government ministries put in place for these kind of situations.
Everybody is a genius.
But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree,
it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Fort Wisers

Yeah @limacharley you might be onto something......while we haven't seen it for ourselves a reliable source says the water level above the Otto Holden darn (one dam up from the town of Mattawa) is the lowest they've seen.