Landmarks and destinations

Started by Hodgey1, July 14, 2019, 11:22:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordo2270

Quote from: smitty55 on July 21, 2019, 11:18:31 PM
Quote from: Greg on July 21, 2019, 09:21:25 PM
Ha, it will, I will try to get the video from my buddies phone, it looked great.   

We went through the chute at least 5 times this week - I caught the trips largest walleye up there with a 24 inch measure... got a picture of that also...

We had 2 newbies this week - they were like "whhhhaaaat are you about to do?   whaaaat are you doing?"  then zoooom and it was over.

Wind played a pretty nasty part also - went up there Thursday evening, wind was strong and hit a strong gust and turned the nose a little to the right... made me pucker a little...  Brian at Alwaki did tell me one of the local cottagers close to the chute took some dynamite to it to help out a little.

Dynamite!!! Wow I guess you'd have to be a local to get away with that. If I recall there's one huge boulder at the top that would be a good target.

So I'm looking forward to your report and the chute run.
For those that haven't seen this yet or enjoy the rerun like I do, here's Greg's 2106 run after visiting Lac Audoin and heading back to Alwaki.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=LrNQbZimFmc

Cheers

Guys

Can you copy and paste the you tube video to the map...i would but not sure of the location

thks

Gord

Hodgey1

Quote from: Gordo2270 on July 21, 2019, 11:29:18 PM
Can you copy and paste the you tube video to the map...i would but not sure of the location

Done Gordo. Click on the Turtle Chute marker to open and see the link.
Walleye Rock!

Hodgey1

Quote from: Gordo2270 on July 21, 2019, 11:29:18 PM

Gordo, you just came up with another benefit to the collaborative map! I posted the video link of @Greg  running the chute and now I'm thinking of taking some photos of points of interest and concern and posting them also.
Walleye Rock!

T-Bone

Cool add to the map, for sure. I would contend though that anyone not intimately familiar with both the chute and the channel into or out of Lac Audoin take it a LOT slower than Greg. A foot or two off the proper line and you'll take out a skeg and maybe a transom going at that speed...or any meaningful speed really. I speak from experience. Someone may see that video and think it's ok for them to go through there like that.

If I were in Greg's boat that day I would have asked him politely to take it easy...it's thrilling, but the risk would be too high for my taste. I just think we need to be careful when sharing information like this...err on the side of caution.
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

CaptainCrappie

Amen T-Bone!  Never in my wildest dreams would I ever do that!  I've hit stuff a time or two just idling around that necessitated a skivvie check. My gonads are not considered a size large enough to do that!

C.C.
You don't get these days back.  Live each day as if it were your last and one day you will be right.

Greg

I agree also - I was taught by a 25 year veteran of Kipawa who's father-in-law worked on the lake and was a lifer who taught him.

If you are not sure slow down and take it easy - put someone at the front of the boat (with good polarized sunglasses) and watch your Sonar/GPS for sudden depth changes regularly.

I've gone through the chute at least 10 times each season - if not 12 or 14 times - and I would never call myself an expert but I am definitely experienced... And in some cases - being up on plane gives you more room - to slow down in that area could cost you that skeg or lower end.  Find the balance you are comfortable with and drive with confidence.

Lots of drone videos of me going through the chute (birds eye view) are available - I put the link in last year's trip report - I just haven't uploaded any to You Tube.

Greg

smitty55

Quote from: T-Bone on July 22, 2019, 10:58:41 AM
Cool add to the map, for sure. I would contend though that anyone not intimately familiar with both the chute and the channel into or out of Lac Audoin take it a LOT slower than Greg. A foot or two off the proper line and you'll take out a skeg and maybe a transom going at that speed...or any meaningful speed really. I speak from experience. Someone may see that video and think it's ok for them to go through there like that.

If I were in Greg's boat that day I would have asked him politely to take it easy...it's thrilling, but the risk would be too high for my taste. I just think we need to be careful when sharing information like this...error on the side of caution.
The one problem with that is that you absolutely need to be on full plane or else barely putting or you will more likely end up banging bottom, specially with a larger boat. I keep thinking back to that day when a large inboard got towed in to Alwaki without a lower unit when he tried to go through the chute at too low a speed.
I totally agree that one would want to learn the run first, but also need to realize that sometimes going slower can actually be more of a risk with your boat sitting lower in the water. Of course all of this can be dependent on water levels.

It would be good to hear Greg's take on this.
Edit: Looks like I was hitting post just as Greg was replying.

Cheers

Fort Wisers

Hey gang,
Should a link to this new map be included in the pinned "Lake Kipawa Map" thread?
Just a thought.....

Hodgey1

Hey @Fort Wisers ,

It's my thought to use the current thread and hyper link as a beta test. Then once it all seemed to work and make sense, to then add the link to the Sticky threads.

I believe this map is working well "so far" and going to be a benefit to many as a resource for all the cool destination to be found within Kipawa!

Map Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i0q7_FP8SmDyGalN6TGk9qZ1u8gHmX-I&usp=sharing
Walleye Rock!

Fort Wisers

Morning @Hodgey1,

Yeah that makes sense. Before we return to camp I’ll see if we can dig out some photos that might be of use to you as well as per one of your previous posts.
Keep up the great work! It is indeed working well.....
Cheers

Hodgey1

Quote from: Fort Wisers on July 23, 2019, 07:33:10 AM
Morning @Hodgey1,

I’ll see if we can dig out some photos that might be of use to you as well as per one of your previous posts.

Thanks FW, its Map Geek Fun  8) Please do look for photos, they would be a great addition to locations.
Walleye Rock!

Fort Wisers

Quote from: Hodgey1 on July 23, 2019, 07:45:24 AM
Quote from: Fort Wisers on July 23, 2019, 07:33:10 AM
Morning @Hodgey1,

I’ll see if we can dig out some photos that might be of use to you as well as per one of your previous posts.

Thanks FW, its Map Geek Fun  8) Please do look for photos, they would be a great addition to locations.

Good map geek fun indeed!
Leaving for camp in a few minutes! When we get back I'll start adding as per our conversation.....

GregL

This is awesome!.. When I get time I'm going to put these way points into my graphs! If anybody has compatible gps units , I think I can figure out how to export them so you can just import them into your units as well :)

Hodgey1

Unless someone objects, I will post this map link into the Sticky Topic “key Landmarks and Destination” I think it will be very useful, for all that frequent Kipawa.

Map Link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1i0q7_FP8SmDyGalN6TGk9qZ1u8gHmX-I&usp=sharing
Walleye Rock!