Not Kipawa Trip Report: Presque Isle Wisconsin

Started by Teach, September 24, 2020, 03:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teach

That's A Keeper!

On Monday, September 7th, my father, sister, and myself departed Central Ohio for Sunrise Resort (https://sunrise-resort.com) in Northern Wisconsin.  Took I75 North and crossed the Mackinac Bridge. Turned West on Route 2. Drove around the edge of Lake Michigan and eventually into Presque Isle Wisconsin.

Tuesday morning, we booked a guided fishing trip with Josh Woodward (https://www.woodwardfishing.com).  We meet at the dock at 5:30 am. 

His rig is Hodgey1's dream boat.  21 foot Skeeter, walk through windshield, 250 Yamaha outboard, spot lock, hummingbirds and lots of room.  Very knowledgeable of the region and very personable.  Caught enough fish for a fish fry that evening.

After that, the week gets cloudy.  We caught enough fish to have 4 fish fries and piss off the others in camp that struggled to catch fish.  The fishing regulations for the lake (and most lakes in the region) was you can keep 3 walleyes.  Two fish have to be under 14 inches and only one 14 or over.  With every fish we released, dad would pipe up with "that was a keeper".  The biggest walleye we caught was 23 inches.

We caught 5 muskys, the largest was 27 inches.

The guy in the next cabin caught a GIANT smallmouth!!!  24 inches long, 17.5 inch girth and unknown weight (no scales).  I wanted to pick on my bass fisherman son and the guy let me pose for a picture with his fish.

The highlight of the trip was seeing the Nighthawks.  At dusk, there was what I am calling a dragonfly hatch.  The down imaging on the depth finder became a cloud and then there was pea size insects that floated into the air.

There had to be 50 or 60 of these Nighthawks that came in to feed on the insects, flying, darting, swooping in all around the boat.

Overall it was great to get out of the house.  Would I go back? Yes.  Do I want to go back?  No!!  I missed the remoteness of Lake Watson.

SgtCrabby

Nice report.

Seems like some folks are coming up with good alternative fishing trips. 

Greg

Thanks for the report... great pics also (...nice bass!!!)

Smiles, that's what it is about... smiles - just seeing the smiling faces holding all those fish.... sure makes us all jealous, but I know I end up smiling.

Congrats!

Greg