Border Updates

Started by T-Bone, December 03, 2020, 08:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Bone

Well...with a COVID vaccine on the horizon and a long winter in front of us, I figured this may be a good thread to start so we can keep the group updated to any news out there. I'll start with this, which doesn't bode well for early in the season...or possibly the whole season.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2020/12/01/trudeau-us-border-restrictions-will-be-in-place-for-a-long-time/
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

NortonJoe

I'm hoping for vaccine distribution in late spring and a sufficient decline in cases to open by July or August.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau

Chazz

Just a thought or wishful thinking but maybe they will open the border to people that can show proof of vaccinations.

Jay Thomas

Smoke and mirrors best describes Canada's so called closed borders to all but essential travel.  Entry into Canada is supposedly restricted to citizens and permanent residents, with certain exemptions for family members, international students and temporary foreign workers. It was reported in today's Ottawa Citizen that last week, of the 52,877 people who arrived in Canada, only 36,485 were citizens or permanent residents.

Regarding vaccinations, when a person gets vaccinated against a disease, their risk of infection is also reduced â€" so they’re also far less likely to transmit the disease to others.

Jay

Hodgey1

I personally survived the summer way better than I expected, mostly due to the fact that I live in the country with a large patio and couple that with one of the nicest summers & fall that we've had in years. It was dry, warm and sunny right into October. Both my daughters & father live within a mile of my house, so we were able to sensible socialize together outside as a family all summer. Now we are into the crappy season of grey sky's, cold and snow, so that has been curtailed. 

All of this has made me realize that I am pretty darn social and now that the socializing is down to a bare minimum I am feeling like a caged rat and its only December. 

I have made it to my 50's and my wife and I will be the first in line for the vaccine whenever it is available to us. This all cannot be over soon enough!
Walleye Rock!

fishtildark

Hey Hodgey, I can totally sympathize with you. Hopefully , there will be some sort of relief , even if we get via vaccination Pass. I do know you , and your buddy from ohio, have something to look forward to that you havent had in a while......... PLAYOFFS, AND maybe a trip to the big one. The Browns are looking good even if it is maybe because the whole world is upside down. enjoy that !
In the meantime , be safe.
So many lures and so little time.

ziggy6

So as we look into a crystal ball ...dare we dream about a trip to Kipawa this summer?  or start thinking US alternatives? 

Goach15

I sure wish that things would open up for the sake of our American friends and for the Kipawa outfitters . Unfortunately we have been and will continue to be lagging in vaccine procurement here in Canada. Just my opinion but I think it will be at least the Fall before we have enough people injected to open the border to visitors .

wayne

Hey Goach, 15.
I totally agree with your opinion. It's not looking good at all.  Really didn't think there would be  two seasons of border closure :-[

T

My crew was thinking about fishing the St. Lawrence River around Chippewa Bay.  Anyone ever fish it for walleye

smitty55

Quote from: T on February 05, 2021, 11:42:26 PM
My crew was thinking about fishing the St. Lawrence River around Chippewa Bay.  Anyone ever fish it for walleye

Wayne, what about Ontario clients, any idea how that will work this summer? I know it's a fluid thing at this point.

wayne

Hey Smitty
We are pretty confident that we will be allowed Quebec and Ontario guests same as  last summer, fall. We haven't heard anything different at this point.  Covid protocols will be in place to protect everyone on the property and travelling in the water taxi's.  It would be really difficult to go through a complete lock down and closure like last spring!

RHYBAK

I know that people thought that the outfitters in quebec would have been hurting because of the lack of Americans but the camp that I go to had no problem filling the voids with Ontario and Quebec customers.

You have to remember that we were also landlocked up here so our travel plans had to change also so that meant to look for available fishing lodges to go to vacation at.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Gary S

Maybe just wishful thinking but I think the vaccines will ramp up in speed over the next few months and crossing the border with proof of vaccine will be possible this summer.

Jig and drift

I am trying to be positive and also like the thinking of Gary, that as things ramp up proof of the shot may open the gates for that opportunity to go north. I am very lucky and have received both of my shots due to my employment at a nursing home. I have my shot card and it is already in my passport. The others in our group will be getting the shots soon due to their employment as long as things go as planned. We are hoping for a late July chance to travel north. A lot can happen in 4+ months. That shot card could be the “golden ticket”. We shall see. Stay safe all.