Best 2 piece jigging rod under $200

Started by Kill Switch, March 10, 2023, 02:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kill Switch

Hi everyone,
Counting down the days to my next trip.
in September I managed to snap two Berkley graphite rods in one trip. Looking to replace them.
Rods used primarily for jigging. I use braid with fluoro leader.
I prefer fast action and high sensitivity for obvious reasons. Nothing too whippy, if that makes sense. Any recommendations before heading to Cabelas or Sail?

Thanks in advance.

Hodgey1

Must also admit to loving my Fenwicks that are even cheaper as well. ???
Walleye Rock!

Kill Switch

@Hodgey1

I was looking at Fenwick. HMG and Elite seem to be to "go to".

puckster_guy

I use the St Croix Hodgey pointed out. Super sensitive jigging rod. I feel every little tug or hit. It gets me a lot of fish.
Days spent fishing don't count against life :)

Jay Thomas

Hi 289walleye,

Just wondering why the preference for two piece rods.

Jay

RHYBAK

289walleye

Fenwicks are good
I use St.Croix Eyecon
Rapala walleye series if you can find them

They are all good provided you like the feel and the price.

Jay

I know, I've gone to one piece rods because I can store them in my rod locker.
Some people, like Steve, prefer two piece rods for travel.
Either they don't fit in their car in one piece or they have to break down to fit in a rod tube.
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

Jay Thomas

Quote from: RHYBAK on March 13, 2023, 08:52:55 AMI know, I've gone to one piece rods because I can store them in my rod locker.
Some people, like Steve, prefer two piece rods for travel. Either they don't fit in their car in one piece or they have to break down to fit in a rod tube.

Hi RHYBAK,

Thanks for your comment. I also prefer one piece rods. I have an 8 foot rod caddy to transport my rods. My vertical jigging rod is a one piece St. Croix Premier (PS60MLF).

Jay

RHYBAK

Quote from: Jay Thomas on March 13, 2023, 09:32:28 AM
Quote from: RHYBAK on March 13, 2023, 08:52:55 AMI know, I've gone to one piece rods because I can store them in my rod locker.
Some people, like Steve, prefer two piece rods for travel. Either they don't fit in their car in one piece or they have to break down to fit in a rod tube.

Hi RHYBAK,

Thanks for your comment. I also prefer one piece rods. I have an 8 foot rod caddy to transport my rods. My vertical jigging rod is a one piece St. Croix Premier (PS60MLF).

Jay

I'm limited to 7 foot rods due to the length of my rod locker
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle

RickOnt

For me it would be St Croix

Probably Eyecon in that price range
"Making Memories"

Kill Switch

Quote from: Jay Thomas on March 12, 2023, 04:14:52 PM
Hi 289walleye,

Just wondering why the preference for two piece rods.

Jay

Hi Jay,
Transport is the only reason.  Would love to do a one piece. Maybe I will give it a shot.

JigginFool

Here is the best way I've found to transport all my rods in one case https://www.amazon.com/Flambeau-Outdoors-Bazuka/dp/B0BL9JCS9F
I adjust the case to my longest rod, I then lay down towels then 1 rod, roll it, lay down another rod, roll it and so on until I have all my rods rolled up, I can easily fit 7-8 rods.  I bought this because all my rods are 1 piece except downrigger rods.

Hodgey1

That case looks perfect. Able to be extended and all!

I must ask, does a one piece rod improve the sensitivity/ability to feel the bite, vs a two piece? I've never used a 7' one piece and now wondering the virtues? Now that I am getting older/less ability to feel the lite bite, if that might be an upgrade for me? 
Walleye Rock!

reelpro

St Croix Avid 6?3? Med action xtra fast tip

13 Fishing 6?3? Omen Gold - ML fast

Both really nice light and sensitive rods for walleye jigging with the power to handle bigger pike or lakers if need be.

T

Hodgey,

I do believe a one piece allows you to feel the bite better.  I use nothing but 1 piece rods.  But it still comes down to preference.