Flystick Intro

Started by Flystik, December 13, 2023, 10:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flystik

I am new to this board and welcome the opportunity this forum presents.  From my user name, I prefer to use a fly rod but will gravitate to a spinning rod as the need arises, as in fishing for walleye.  For the last two years, my group has stayed at the outpost lodge of TBL during August.   We have been quite successful fishing SMB, some success for pike and very poor for walleye.   The walleye results are more about our poor technique than the quality of the walleye fishing.
For 2024, my group has conflicts.  One will be Europe during August, one wishes to go somewhere else, one is just plain getting older 90 yo) and I have conflicts in July and first two weeks of August.  I would like to return to Kipawa in the last half of August or early September.   Can anyone on this board suggest a lodge or camp that can cater to a solo visitor?  I am not asking to join another group.
I am quite willing to discuss various fishing techniques, successes and failures.

Thank you!

Oarin

Taggart Bay Lodge has a small single person cabin.

Hodgey1

Hi @Flystik , check out this thread, that has a link to a map of he various outfitters in the Kipawa area. I'm certain there's a good many options for individual lodging.

https://kipawafishingforum.net/index.php?topic=1271.0
Walleye Rock!

Flystik

Hodgey1

Thanks for the link.  I recently made a reservation thru one of the outfitters on Kipawa lake.  Looking forward to another week of battle with SMB and Northerns on a long rod.

Jim

T-Bone

Flystik..where did you book? Depending on location, maybe I can share some insights.

Walleye fishing up around Taggart Bay Lodge has been challenging for 20-years. Even back BEFORE there were smallmouth in the lake, we couldn't get on any significant walleye up around there and gave up after 2-years. In my understanding, there are 'prime' areas of the lake to catch walleye, and the areas around Kipawa, Laniel, and the area around TBL are not included in that list.

Good luck!
Embrace every moment...you only get it once

Flystik

T-Bone
Thank you for the offer. I am staying at Loon and Eagle this summer in late June and early July.  My partner in all my trips has been a non fisherman who just like's to be outside on the water.  I am not serious about fishing for walleye. I might spend a morning or two trying to get a couple for dinner.  A fly rod is not the best tool to fish for walleye, though I usually will keep a spinning rod or two on the boat.  Last year myself and another guy split a guide who showed techniques for fishing walleye and we caught quite a few but he took us quite a way down the lake to fish for them.

I have been coming to Canada since I retired in 2014 every summer except for the summer of COVID fiasco.  The last two years we have been coming to Kipawa.  The other years, we went to north western Ontario and I have been to BC twice to fish for trout.  I like Kipawa as it is only 1 & 1/4 days drive from NJ vs the 2700 mile round trip to NW Ontario.

Any suggestions you might offer would be appreciated.  I do bring a Garmin FF and a good trolling motor with me.   My technique for walleye would probably involve a bottom bouncer and eels.

Flystik

Hodgey1

Where in NJ @Flystik ? I'm originally from the Bridgewater area.

Enjoy your time at Kipawa, its such a special place. Im glad you got a place booked.
Walleye Rock!

Flystik

Thanks for the interest, Hodgey1!  I live in Cape May County.  In Vineland before I retired.  I would have preferred to retire in Maine or SW Virginia but I am married to a "Jersey girl".  I think you will understand.
I really enjoy my time on Lake Kipawa.  It's been a peaceful get away and the fishing has been generally good.  Also, considering a second trip in late August this year as a solo.

The other lake in Canada I have enjoyed is Priarie Bee in Ontario.  Went there for two summers.  Good SMB and NP fishing and lots of wildlife.  Unfortunately, it is a long drive and the camp owners started restricting use of trolling motors on their boats and use of generators at their remote camp, even if you bring your own equipment.  Not conducive to my kind of fishing.  I got the feeling many of their guests were pretty rough on the owners equipment.

My group has also done a few other lakes in Ontario and one other lake in Quebec which were ok at best.